What's new
What's new

air compressor noise

dxhall

Aluminum
Most of the noise from my new 2-stage air compressor seems to be the "honking" sound coming from the air intake. Has anyone tried to quiet a compressor by making an insulated box around the air intake, or piping the intake to a box of some kind? What did you use for sound insulation?

A good intake muffler is a great start. Start with a stout tank many times the cylinder volume like a freon tank. Weld in an outlet and a long inlet pipe that reaches almost to the farther end. Arrange the fittings with some care to avoid interferences. Put a thread on the inlet that will accept a spin-on oil filter. The oil filter will provide inlet air filtration and additional silencing.

You'll still hear the motor and the clatter of the valves. A simple insulated endlosure or small closet will fix that.

[ 09-14-2006, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Forrest Addy ]

A dedicated shed outside of my shop.

One of the better things I did to quiet the compressor was to whip up a pipe stub that threads into the intake, and has an OD that an old K&N motorcycle filter clamps onto.

You can buy silencing inlet filters, but Forrest's idea sounds better.

When you say "Start with a stout tank many times the cylinder volume like a freon tank."

Are you refrring to the piston cylinder volume?

Running the intake outside will really improved the situation, but like HitList said, if you have others living closeby they may get pissed.

Back