What's new
What's new

Air screw compressors compression NEED HELP ... QUINCY vs. INGESOLL RAND

Golang8

Plastic
Hi Everyone , TNX for having me in the Forum .

I'm looking for an Air screw air compressor for a small shop and im debating between 2 brands
the usage going to be to run a small shop some air blasting and air tools , not a very heavy use.Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 7.38.03 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-09-28 at 7.37.47 PM.jpg

On the spec sheet they look quiet the same but i know one it's much better and reliable ,the only question if the cheaper one is good and reliable enough for my needs. (also integrated with air dryer)

Ingersoll rand is 3x more expensive than Quincy and doesn't come with air dryer.

Please share your opinions to help me make a decision

-Quincy QGS Rotary Screw Compressor with Dryer — 5 HP, 200/208, 230, 460 Volt 3 Phase, 60 Gallon, 16.6 CFM, Model# QGS-5TMD

-Ingersoll Rand UP6-7.5-150B - 7.5HP Standard Package Rotary Compressor 230-3-60 / 80 Gallon

See attachment below for a pics of the air compressors .

Thanks a lot for looking and helping out.

Call Eaton Compressor, they will walk you through what you need. Great people, I have bought 4 compressors from them over the last 20 years.

My thought is that IR has been living on their reputation for the last half century.

I won't provide details, but a long-ago employer bought 8 of IR's smaller reciprocating compressors, each of which could be fairly described as lemons if the other 7 worked.

screw compressors need to run to stay in good shape(20-40 hrs a week), infrequent use is bad for them and wears them out quickly. that's where 2 stage reciprocating comes in handy.

New IR's are garbage. I know a few people that have the Quincy that are happy, but Kaeser is the gold standard. I got a deal on a Mattei rotary vane and I've been very happy with it. It's very quiet.

IR =no way

I agree with John,
IR is living off their decades old good reputation.
I've been buying them in heavy industrial applications since the 70's.
I'm done with them.
Quincy would be a better choice imho.

Great help guys TNX A LOT

Do i need a professional installation or its Plug and play machines ?

Another thing , will i be able to turn it off when i'm not going to use it , like a piston engine compressor or does it take long to build pressure .

Great help guys TNX A LOT

Do i need a professional installation or its Plug and play machines ?

Another thing , will i be able to turn it off when i'm not going to use it , like a piston engine compressor or does it take long to build pressure .

Yes, you can turn them off. Most of them build pressure way faster that a piston. My Mattei will go from dead empty to about 100psi in a few minutes. They all seem to be pretty good and will basically idle/run when needed with pretty smart controls. I would definitely recommend one with a dryer setup if you don't have one. You will get pretty good air right out of the machine.

The install is very simple on most of them. The company of course will tell you to have an electrician wire everything, but they are very basic. If you are buying a 3ph machine, you need to be very aware of the phase rotation and just make sure the machine doesn't run in reverse, as that can damager most of the rotary style machines. Other than that, it's pretty simple plug and play as long as you have the right power/circuit available and you could either hard wire into a J box or put on an appropriate plug.

Back