What's new
What's new

Alarm 971 on MiniMill

marccongdon

Aluminum
My minimill started giving me a 971 alarm and the hdd/ethernet/usb has stopped working. I've checked all the voltages and tried all the methods my HFO suggested to try and bring that board back to life to no success. Haas says the board I need has been out of production for ages. I've seen a few posts here and on other forums about this issue but they all seem to have been during a time period when the boards could be replaced.
I found a similar looking version of what I think is the offending board after a ton of searching but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to get it in a timely manner if it will even fix it.
Does anyone know of a current solution to this or am I just stuck with the one serial port going or this moon shot forward?
Oh and the machine is a 2004 mini mill with the coldfire 1 control

After further troubleshooting I'm leaning towards the hard drive for the pc104 board being bad. I wish it was just a usb cable issue. My usb cable plugs into the pc104 board which plugs on to a main board. I'm waiting on some cables and tools to show up before I dive into this a bit more.
Update to this: Hard drive would not read when I tried to image it out of the machine, After doing an autopsy it looks like the write head crashed. If anyone has an image of one of these drives or knows where I could get one please let me know. I've already reached out to the local HFO asking for any software or data they would be willing to give me.

Do you know which software version you are using? I had a hard time getting, actually I never did get the software for my 2015. I think they updated the software for me one time when they were down for a warranty call on one of my other machines.

Mill 13.1 is what the controls are running.
I managed to remove the platters and install them into a same model drive I found on Ebay, I recovered a significant portion of the drive and once another drive shows up I'm going to try to clone the recovery to it and see if that fixes my issue.

I can tell you are better with computers and boards then I am. Hopefully you are able to get it running properly again.

Well it turns out today is my lucky day. I'm hoping this was the root problem and not just a side issue. I cloned the old drive to the new drive (Purchased used off ebay) slapped it all back together and it boots up/reads like there was never an issue.
I intend to replace this drive with an SSD down the road once I find one that plays nice with the pc104. Since the other board has shipped out I will probably play with that a bit to determine if it would be a straight replacement should the actual pc104 board fail down the road. I'll try and keep everything documented in this thread, few things annoy me more than finding someone else who has posted about an issue that I'm encountering but doesn't put if and how they fixed it in the thread.

Edit: From what I've seen the actual hard drive failing like this seems to be a rare problem. If you have the same issue confirm that the drive is in fact dead before trying to replace it. The partitions on there are EXT2 and EXT3 and won't naturally show up in a windows computer.

My minimill started giving me a 971 alarm and the hdd/ethernet/usb has stopped working. I've checked all the voltages and tried all the methods my HFO suggested to try and bring that board back to life to no success. Haas says the board I need has been out of production for ages. I've seen a few posts here and on other forums about this issue but they all seem to have been during a time period when the boards could be replaced.
I found a similar looking version of what I think is the offending board after a ton of searching but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to get it in a timely manner if it will even fix it.
Does anyone know of a current solution to this or am I just stuck with the one serial port going or this moon shot forward?
Oh and the machine is a 2004 mini mill with the coldfire 1 control

Several questions! it sounds like you have a similar problem to mine. i assume pc104 or the HD is bad (2009 coldfire 2 system)

1.what where the "methods to bring back to life" offered by your hfo? id like to try them on mine!

2. can you link a vid or explan how to test a drive? (simple hd to usb adaptor?) then listen to it spin up/ try to read/write from it? will my windows machine work or will i need a different OS?

3.Is there any ways of tesing the pc104 board?

4. i assume three are files on the HD that are required to make this system work, therefor not as simple as strapping a new one in if i fialed?

5. i look forward to your upate on if its up and working, if your ssd conversion works well and if you test the new pc104 board you bought for compatability.

im not in a mad panic to fix mine, but id really like to when my sch. lightens up! any/all advice/lessions are super appriciated!!!!

Everything beyond the basic turn it off and on again was done with the understanding that I could continue to use the machine with the single serial port, it would be irritating and slow but it wouldn't be a paperweight to me. After talking to Electronics Northwest (who was very helpful) I understood that these cards are a shit ass way to solve the communications problem and they will all eventually fail.
1. Check for 5v and 12v on the pc104 board, a quick search of pc104 pinout can show you which pins to test. Reseat all connectors multiple times. This is intended to break up and wear off any corrosion that may have built up on the pins/sockets. Remove etherenet, usb, floppy and second serial connector, if the error goes away boot the machine up with one more thing plugged in each time until it comes back. If it is that then you can either not use the offending device or try and toubleshoot that.
The default network settings can be restored if needed. Press Prgrm Convers during power up. Wait about 3 minutes then Press P Enter, then P5 Enter.
The tech at haas advised to try that with caution, he said he'd seen machines completely die after doing that. When he told me that I had already tried it twice and I am damn thankful nothing bad happened.

2. I used a sabrent usb to ide hdd adapter. The first time I powered it up it sounded like a terrible rod knock and kept vibrating and making that noise the entire time it was running. I quickly shut it off. I then ordered 2 drives of the exact model number off ebay made a quick little clean box out of a plastic container, saran wrap and rubber gloves. Removed the platters from the original drive and put them in one of the new drives. I fired that up and then quickly cloned the drive using Macrium Reflect (there is a ton of software that can do this, just happens to be what I used). This is a last ditch effort. I am incredibly surprised it worked, I have tried this a few times and it's never actually worked but at this point it's always been a matter of "can't fuck it up any worse than it is". If you have critical data on the drive and are inclined to spend the money send it to a data recovery service. Your windows machine will work to clone the drive but you may need some extra software if you're interested in removing specific data from the drive.

3. I'm sure there are but I don't know of any.

4. Yes, after doing a quick poke around the EXT3 partition that was on the drive it looks like if the drive isn't properly imaged nothing else on the pc104 will work correctly. There are scripts for mounting the usb, ethernet, hdd storage partition etc. The serial number is also referenced many times through that code so if you get an image from another drive there may still be a decent amount of work to get that to work for your machine.

5. Yeah, I hope I can find a way to fix what seems to be the inevitable failure of these boards. I'd love to be able to say I'll just get a vf2 or something when this thing dies but realistically that isn't in the cards, This machine is in my garage and the logistics of fitting and powering anything bigger would be too much of a pain in the ass, especially when I could just use a machine at work.

Just wanted to pop in here with an update. Had the 971 error again today. Tried and checked everything I had tried before with no success. I then swapped the board and bios chip with one I had gotten online and it worked again so it lives to cut another day. Swapping it back gave me the same error so that hopefully rules out the chance that I just bumped or pushed something back in to place to make it work again.
The board I got can be found on ali express I wanted to get something that wouldn't take a month to arrive but this was the closest one I could find.

DM & P (SIS) 486dx-500 vortex 86 cn6070 ICOP motherboard​

Back