What's new
What's new

Alliant Bridgeport clone head noise

jeepinmatt

Aluminum
I’m trying to diagnose a noise on the head of my Alliant 42VC Bridgeport clone. Instead of spending hours chasing something, I figure someone on here has dealt with this before. Here’s a video (sorry for the movement, I was trying to video, hold the flashlight, and unplug the cord all at the same time):

I recently had it apart to replace the belt because it was missing a chunk. The spindle end was buttery smooth and the motor was buttery smooth. The pulley had a very small amount of surface rust in a couple spots that I took care of with a scotch bright, but didn’t seem like anything that would cause an issue. New belt, and new bearing on the top of the front end vari-speed pulley. I also plan to replace the backend bottom bearing, but the noise is the same with the cover in place or removed. It is worse ant lower RPMs. Anybody got any insight? Bad belt maybe? It looks smooth to me, but I’m no expert.

Last edited:
Would that be more for the slip/squeak as it stops, or slapping/flapping while it’s running? The slapping is my main concern.
I'd try it mainly because it's cheap, fast, and may cure both issues. May even be a hard/stiff spot in a belt thats been sitting on a shelf for years( causing the slapping sound ). Maybe leave it run for hours and see if it settles down.

Maybe I'm wrong, but something sounds like it's suffering from lack of lube as the spindle winds down. To my ears, there's a hint of a squeal happening just before the spindle stops. But maybe it's a squeal from the belt. I don't know anything about the Alliant BP clones, but there should be oiling NOT GREASE points even if it has what look to be grease zerks somewhere on the head. BP and I think most of the clones have what's termed as a total loss oiling system in the head. All that means is the oil leaks down through the head and will slowly drip out around the spindle. So have you also been using those oiling points and with the correct lube?

Maybe I'm wrong, but something sounds like it's suffering from lack of lube as the spindle winds down. To my ears, there's a hint of a squeal happening just before the spindle stops. But maybe it's a squeal from the belt. I don't know anything about the Alliant BP clones, but there should be oiling NOT GREASE points even if it has what look to be grease zerks somewhere on the head. BP and I think most of the clones have what's termed as a total loss oiling system in the head. All that means is the oil leaks down through the head and will slowly drip out around the spindle. So have you also been using those oiling points and with the correct lube?
All oil cups are topped off with Mobil Vactra #2 and everything is well lubed.

I played around with it some more last night, and at high rpm’s it is extremely smooth and quiet. In low range, once you get down around 300rpm the noise starts to show up, and below 200rpm it becomes very pronounced. I let it run for about an hour, and maybe it got 5% better, or maybe it was just in my head, but it definitely didn’t go away. I’m gonna pick up some belt conditioner if the car parts store is open today and give that a shot.

OT a little bit.. Alliant Machiine was formed after Textron bought Bridgeport after Bridgeport filled bankruptcy, had to have been 30 years ago or so. Before that Bridgeport had reps all over the USA. Up here in Minneapolis they had a great rep called Satterlee.
When Textron bought Bridgeport they fired all the reps and they formed a Alliance of all the reps and went to Taiwan to make machines. I believe the mills were built by Sharp or First Machinery. The reps or Alliant made a good machine in my opinion. Eventually Textron sold Bridgeport Machine back to the employees who gave the old reps their franchises back and they stopped making them. Eventually the employees sold the company to Hardinge who still makes the mills..or I should say subs much of the parts to other builders. Last I heard many of the parts are made by Lagun in Spain. Assembled in the USA. Happy New Year everyone. Rich

Would a loose spline/dog or worn bushing on the motor end of the Reeve's drive make that sound?
I have seen the springs that hold the brake shoes in break, so make sure those aren't rubbing.
My Reeve's drive cones like to pick up rust right at the edge of the belt when it sits for a week, but that just makes the belt squeak, and goes away after a bit of use.

Was there a tool in the spindle, and of not was the drawbar removed?

OT a little bit.. Alliant Machiine was formed after Textron bought Bridgeport after Bridgeport filled bankruptcy, had to have been 30 years ago or so. Before that Bridgeport had reps all over the USA. Up here in Minneapolis they had a great rep called Satterlee.
When Textron bought Bridgeport they fired all the reps and they formed a Alliance of all the reps and went to Taiwan to make machines. I believe the mills were built by Sharp or First Machinery. The reps or Alliant made a good machine in my opinion. Eventually Textron sold Bridgeport Machine back to the employees who gave the old reps their franchises back and they stopped making them. Eventually the employees sold the company to Hardinge who still makes the mills..or I should say subs much of the parts to other builders. Last I heard many of the parts are made by Lagun in Spain. Assembled in the USA. Happy New Year everyone. Rich
My Alliant was made in Sept. 1983. I've talked with Sharp, and they say it's one of theirs. It's a fantastic machine. I bought one at work late 90's or early 2000's. Nowhere near as good a machine. Definitely not made by Sharp. I subsequently bought a Sharp and was very happy. I recommended Sharp to 8 other shops, and they all love them.

Would a loose spline/dog or worn bushing on the motor end of the Reeve's drive make that sound?
I have seen the springs that hold the brake shoes in break, so make sure those aren't rubbing.
My Reeve's drive cones like to pick up rust right at the edge of the belt when it sits for a week, but that just makes the belt squeak, and goes away after a bit of use.

Was there a tool in the spindle, and of not was the drawbar removed?
No tool, no drawbar.

I did find this issue with the spring last night and thought I’d solved it, but it had very little effect.
IMG_1784.jpeg

It seems to be coming from the spline/spring area, so I’m wondering if it might be wear between the splines and pulley. Once I find a dose of motivation, I might pull it off and grease everything to see if that helps.

It sounds like the brake is dragging. When it stops it sure sounds like the brake.
The squeak was most likely the belt slipping as it came to a stop. Now that the belt has a few hours and some belt conditioner on it, there is no more squeak. But it still has the slappy rattle noise

Back