What's new
What's new

allowable drawbar runnout on top of spindle? spinde vibration and tsc issues

Stirling

Hot Rolled
ive got my 2009 vf2 appart and put a dial indicator on the top of my drawbar and saw 0.007" axial runnout. i can force it around with heavy hand pressure by about 0.003"

is this normal? what is allowable? is there a way to "dial in" this?

im looking into it for a couple reasons.
1. i have vibration at 4000-10,000 rpm, but i belive most of it is attributed to the belt tension/alignment, working on that today.

2. my TSC squeels during operation sometimes. the TSC on my machine is a bearingless union. the way it seals is by pressing 2 carbide faces together. one face is mounted to the tool release piston assebmply which is pushed down by actvating the pre charge. it then makes contact with a carbide face that is integral to the drawbar. the drawbar then spins while the face on the tool release piston remains stationary. when it squeels the 2 faces are clearly gaining traction and attemptint to rotate the stationary face(as seen by it tugging on the coolant feed line). i assumeed missalignment at first but after inspection i do not think its the issue, but rather there is not enough leakage to lubricate the 2 faces???? (just speculating) if they where not sealing corectly there would be ooolant comming throuhg the bypass and thre would be no molments of traction/squeels?
i would assume the drawbar runnout cannot be good in this application, but i guess tos just moreof the same? face on face with no radial control anyways?

any thoughts are appriciated, time for me to play with the belts more, have a great easter :)

I have the same issue on my vf2. Im leaving it for now, as the only way to fix it is to replace the spindle at this time. Its not optimal, but it wont do any expensive damage, and the machine isn't ready for a spindle yet.

I have the same issue on my vf2. Im leaving it for now, as the only way to fix it is to replace the spindle at this time. Its not optimal, but it wont do any expensive damage, and the machine isn't ready for a spindle yet.

I spent some time fooling with the belt tightness/alignment.
Got it down about half (measured by my hand-O-meter…)
Working much better now.
Those belts love to ride the flandge. Clearly they are not crowned
Seems to have helped the tsc from chattering too. Seems ok to 6000ish reliably amd the spindle is acceptable at 10,000 now.

Something to consider. I not exactly “pop in a new spindle” rich right now! Lol

Back