What's new
What's new

Aloris tool post repair

claya

Cast Iron
Anyone ever dis-assemble an Aloris toolpost?
Axa, piston style. Could use some suggestions. Is the top ring pressed on? Or threaded?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Have you done any searching here on PM? There is many threads on taking these apart, both piston and wedge types. I've personally have never taken apart a piston type. The last one I had went out the door with the lathe it was on over 25 years ago, never missed it. Miss some of the holders that went with it. CXA's I think they were. KEn

Have you done any searching here on PM? There is many threads on taking these apart, both piston and wedge types. I've personally have never taken apart a piston type. The last one I had went out the door with the lathe it was on over 25 years ago, never missed it. Miss some of the holders that went with it. CXA's I think they were. KEn
Yes. Found some threads. Thank you.

I have spent hours searching for things on PM only to find very little most-times, but lately have learned I often get better or more productive answers just posting a new question... Especially since the new post has live people answering. Both methods work, and some forums work the opposite.

Like I said, I've never taken apart a piston style tool post. I've taken apart several wedge type tool post in the past.

If you look closely at the face of the piston, there is a tapped hole, from what I recall from my febal memory. I believe you have to screw in a bolt to extend the piston outward and hold while you pull the center shaft out of the housing. Just a WAG. Worth a try. Ken

I have not done a piston type. But from what I saw, you remove the screws in center of piston. The outer portion of piston is a plate.

Remove the plate and turn it 90 degrees. Install and tighten the screws. This should draw the piston out.

With piston(s)drawn out, the center cam/spindle should be able to come out of the main body.

Posting pics will help you and us.

The search facility on these BBs is not the best. It it better to use Google or your favorite internet search engine and include "Practical Machinist" in your search string if you wish to limit it to this board.

I have spent hours searching for things on PM only to find very little most-times, but lately have learned I often get better or more productive answers just posting a new question... Especially since the new post has live people answering. Both methods work, and some forums work the opposite.

I found some good info on YouTube the wedge type that piece on top unscrews. I keep putting oil in it. I put it in a Vice and kept hitting with a punch & hammer. Oil the hole in the bottom. turn it upside down and oil the bottom threads that helped a lot because you’re unscrewing it from the bottom.

I found some good info on YouTube the wedge type that piece on top unscrews. I keep putting oil in it. I put it in a Vice and kept hitting with a punch & hammer. Oil the hole in the bottom. turn it upside down and oil the bottom threads that helped a lot because you’re unscrewing it from the bottom.
I believe Aloris used some red Loctite on that nut/tube in the top holding the binding screw. I butcher up a spanner blade to fit the slots and clamped the post down and applied force with a 18" J H Williams crescent wrench to break it loose. Be sure to use a J H Williams crescent wrench! Very important.

Back