What's new
What's new

Alternatives to DraftSight ( or any DWG viewer with editing function )

Most important point highlighted!
Second, all parametric drafting tools suck for ... well drafting.
They're designed to document your model properly, but beyond that they are utter garbage.

In fact I cannot fathom how some ( most perhaps ) of you guys get away with nothing but parametric models?
What do you do for shop drawings? How do you document your process with geometry?
How do you design some of the fixtures or tooling?
How do you make inspection drawings for in-process jobs?
You making the original model file? Easy enough to spit out a 2d section or view in exact geometry. These views can become unlinked layers or separate files that you can edit however you want without messing with parent geometry or model.

I could at one time hack an acad drawing, back when that was it. Once I switched to modern cad I have not looked back once. The few hours of missing command line based drawing was the easiest and best learning curve in cad. Un-learning curve- drawing is visual.

Pro/e ptc wildfire might be all that and a bag of rice. Price reflects that it best be Kobe rice, grown by monks. Most of use do not design whole cars or planes. Burt rutan used viacad for his later planes, which are much sexier designs than a f150.

Most important point highlighted!
Second, all parametric drafting tools suck for ... well drafting.
They're designed to document your model properly, but beyond that they are utter garbage.

In fact I cannot fathom how some ( most perhaps ) of you guys get away with nothing but parametric models?
What do you do for shop drawings? How do you document your process with geometry?
How do you design some of the fixtures or tooling?
How do you make inspection drawings for in-process jobs?

Maybe I did back then, and perhaps it was one of the frogs that remained ugly no matter how many kisses.
You can always model a part in a way that configurations can match every step of the manufacturing process. We have lots of models with multiple configurations showing each bend in order, bend tabs before and after cutoff, or different operations in machining process. We don't edit dxf's at all, how they get exported is how they get loaded into SigmaNEST, any extra lines for etching or whatever else is in the drawing file so the next person doesn't have to figure all the out-of-process modifications you might have made.

I only use 2d CAD for plumbing and wiring schematics, only drawings where I want a line exactly where I drew it without needing dimensions everywhere.

Hell, some here have built their shop using Fusion, even when it had absolutely no drawing environment.
Apparently even shop sketches are thing of the past so what do I know?

But ...

Not going to defend my way of doing what I do, simply because I don't need to.
It is, it was and will always be this way, until I see a reason to change it.
Whoever believes that non-parametric 2D drafting is gone to the same scrapheap where drafting boards ended up, fine, use what you will.
For those OTOH who is still interested in using a free form 2D CAD software that is not junk and is very capable, Proge and Brics is a fine choice.

I use BricsCAD and like it quite a bit. Was able to buy it once and be done with it.

However, I also use Solidworks for making up prints sometimes. If you turn off relations and other parametric stuff in a 2D drawing, I actually find it very easy to spit out a dimensioned drawing, probably a little easier than Brics or ACAD.

Back