What's new
What's new

Amada HA-400 Lifting bars during Autocutting

MachMachine

Plastic
I have an Amada HA-400 and we are finding that when the saw is cutting in automatic mode and we are cutting 2 round bars at a time, the saw gradually lifts the bars up and eventually they will jump out from being clamped. Does anyone know what might be causing this? The back vise is tight to the infeed shuttle which is what we first thought was causing it.

thanks

How old is your machine?
Better question: How much cutting has it seen?
For some dumbass reason, Amada does not put a replaceable pad on the moving jaw of the stationary vise.
If that is worn, then every time it unclamps and re-clamps the material, one or both of the bars lift just a little bit at a time until the point
where it just goes POP!

At least that was my experience cutting multiple round bars ....

cutting 2 round things at the same time never works out well in bandsaws............ unless its all bundled and strapped. or welded together.
like every jaw out there, as it tightens, the top flexes open and now it only clamps on the bottom in a very slight v shape where the jaws cant ever be perfectly paralell to each other within a thou.
basic things that happen in machining jaws all the time.

Drill and tap for removable moving jaws at fixed location, not needed on the shuttle. I made a special one for my H14A that allows me to cut 5 x .625 dia round bars at once. Also allows me to cut most anything else without removing it.

Saw is a 2006. All 4 vise jaws have removable steel jaws on them. I was watching the saw cut a single bar of 1.75" 17-4 and even that bar gradually would rise up. I don't see any jaw lift when the vises clamp and unclamp. Could the infeed shuttle not be level to the rest of the saw so as it moves it slowly lifts the bar?

If you see that on a single bar ( round or rectangle without any funky angles ), then it is likely your shuttle vise is the culprit.
Perhaps your infeed table is lower than the base of the two vises???

Are the infeed/our feed rolls level to the saw? Is the shuttle vice race (travel) level to the saws vices? Lower edge of fixed jaw vice is saws datum for everything.

If you are pairing blue tape or quick clamps is better than welding (welding is bad, really bad- never weld). The closest to blade vice should have the most pressure during cut. Turning down shuttle vice hydraulic pressure helps keep material on the rolls.

Back