What's new
What's new

American Pacemaker 14 x 54 carriage lock

charlieroper

Plastic
The carriage lock on my '48 Pacemaker 14 x 54 is ineffective. My facing operations are convex. I suspicion, or hope something is frozen up. I've removed the square headed bolt and sprayed penetrant down the hole. I've backed off on the bolt a few threads and hammered on the bolt as hard as I dared. I've tightened it really tight and hammered on it. I've looked at all the cutaway drawings available and found none which depict the lock mechanism. I've attempted to peer behind the apron and can't see anything that makes sense. I'm loathe to take that apron apart exploring because it appears to be pretty involved. And heavy. I'd really appreciate anyone having experience with these things giving me advise. I'd like it to hold still when I want it to. Thanks in advance for anything.

I nearly never lock mine, only once had convex facing occur and it was my (boneheaded mistake) fault. Repeat facing to a set length is about the only reason for me to lock it.

Are your tools properly set up height wise, sharp, contacting angles correct??

On my Americans, the locks work fine, should tighten right up. If not perhaps somebody was operating it locked and wore it down. I have seen this with gibs on B Port mills.

I nearly never lock mine, only once had convex facing occur and it was my (boneheaded mistake) fault. Repeat facing to a set length is about the only reason for me to lock it.

Are your tools properly set up height wise, sharp, contacting angles correct??

On my Americans, the locks work fine, should tighten right up. If not perhaps somebody was operating it locked and wore it down. I have seen this with gibs on B Port mills.

I'd like to know where to start to find out if it is worn out, or frozen up. I'm guessing it's frozen up because I can't detect any movement in whatever the lock bolt screws into. Thanks for the reply.

I nearly never lock mine, only once had convex facing occur and it was my (boneheaded mistake) fault.
Same here. I'd use it once in a while but never really had to.

That comment about the "square bolt" has me puzzled tho. Mine was an allen head screw flush with the top of the apron. I think. Now starting to wonder.

It's been a while. Is this the first sign of al zeimer ?

Same here. I'd use it once in a while but never really had to.

That comment about the "square bolt" has me puzzled tho. Mine was an allen head screw flush with the top of the apron. I think. Now starting to wonder.

It's been a while. Is this the first sign of al zeimer ?
Naw, lack of using a feature tends to lead to forgetting it's there. Kind of like the feed rod stops.

The carriage lock bolt head is square on all five Americans in my shop ( ages range from the late 40s - mid 70s)

Unless someone didn't like it sticking up in the way and "fixed" it.

The carriage lock on my '48 Pacemaker 14 x 54 is ineffective. My facing operations are convex. I suspicion, or hope something is frozen up. I've removed the square headed bolt and sprayed penetrant down the hole. I've backed off on the bolt a few threads and hammered on the bolt as hard as I dared. I've tightened it really tight and hammered on it. I've looked at all the cutaway drawings available and found none which depict the lock mechanism. I've attempted to peer behind the apron and can't see anything that makes sense. I'm loathe to take that apron apart exploring because it appears to be pretty involved. And heavy. I'd really appreciate anyone having experience with these things giving me advise. I'd like it to hold still when I want it to. Thanks in advance for anything.
separate little pieces like E214 Front Gib Long. Post up a PM (conversation) and I'll email some parts of the Parts Book. If you want a parts book see Greg Menke's collection and Bulletin 20

Or here

Last edited:
I somehow just stumbled upon this thread,
my own 1953 16x54 has never had an issue with THAT lock. YES ,I do use it. I think the "8-Point" Wrench on it is original ?
I think I saw this thread looking for *CARRIAGE STOP* . For me,this meaning the "MICROMETER" carriage stop. I had FINALLY found one on Ebay...and , I really truly HATE to fuss. But the POST OFFICE lost it , about 10 miles from my house !!!!
I actually LOOKED for it at the Distribution center , I waited it out to no avail. Oh well.
My machine was highest cost unit of it's time,it was indeed a "Hydraulic Duplicating Lathe" . Yeah , a " TRACER " . NOT what I really wanted,but priced right and somehow I GAMBLED correctly. The TOOLING lost in all the JUNK in the 100 pound CHIP PAN was worth more than the lathe ! 😁
12" BUCK 3 Jaw Chuck, a Pratt & Bernard 10" 3 Jaw , Several MT 5 Drill CHUCKS and even more. Yet....The Spindle But wrench was NOT there. The lathe was $1000 dollars in 1997 ? Admission, I never used it as a tracer, I actually HAD a perfect Compound Rest from a MONARCH , and mounted IT in place from Day One.
There were some MANUALS with it,hidden in the Doored Cavity in the rear base.
Don't know if I can provide any reference or info ,but always will to look and share anything that might ?

Back