What's new
What's new

American pacemaker for sale in Texas

m-lud

Stainless
I hate to post this with Cole posting his for sale. This shouldnt compete with cole's sale.
Cole's is up and running and very nice.

This 16x54 lookd like it could be a good deal. They will load on your trailer or deliver for a fee. No taper attachment and it looks like no tooling. Di6 spindle mount.
I know of one Texas forum member that is a big American Pacemaker fan.
Potential?
If it stays under $1,000 theres not much risk. Scrap price.

I hate to post this with Cole posting his for sale.
We've got four months to talk him out of selling. I mean, what's he going to replace it with ? Only thing that's reasonably nice and smaller is a 13" Colchester, and that's not that much smaller and a nice one will cost just as much, maybe more. And he's got the 2,000 rpm and double dials.

Unless he's going to quit turning entirely, or go to hardinge size, this one's a keeper.

We've got four months to talk him out of selling. I mean, what's he going to replace it with ? Only thing that's reasonably nice and smaller is a 13" Colchester, and that's not that much smaller and a nice one will cost just as much, maybe more. And he's got the 2,000 rpm and double dials.

Unless he's going to quit turning entirely, or go to hardinge size, this one's a keeper.
I still have my Monarch 12CK and the Mazak QT15n.

Serial will be on Front of front way at right end . Last two digits are date. These tend to have no hard ways until mid forties

ON EDIT

I'll guess it has hard ways - you can see the separation line (on front way) in the close up of gear shift. Here is the "cap" they used. Easy to check far end (the right end) where you can see the detail

Of course this doesn't mean they aren't worn out :D

Attachments

• 20200828_085415.jpg
    20200828_085415.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Take note of the pressure washer behimd the lathe in a photo. I suspect it just had a bath by the lack of swarf.
I would want to see it up close.
Light rust but gearboxes need to be opened up. Most do that anyway.

John
Ill message the seller for the serial number. Knowing if it has hard ways would be a huge plus. I doubt he will go out and look.

Photos for after the add is gone.
s-l1600 (12).jpgs-l1600 (13).jpgs-l1600 (15).jpgs-l1600 (17).jpgs-l1600 (16).jpgs-l1600 (18).jpg

I know of one Texas forum member that is a big American Pacemaker fan.
Potential?
You know, I thought we were friends. You know I have way too many projects as it is. And this one a mere 30-40 minutes from my house. Why torture me with another big project ?:D

Yeah, Ive seen Cole's post and have been gnawing on my fingers to keep from replying.

I personally like the D1-6 spindles as I already have stuff to fit them. I had been casually eyeballing another 16" x 54" Pacemaker that has the threaded spindle, LO or LOO ?, but price and shipping will push cost up a bit. And do I really need a 5th lathe :D? As un-sexy as it sounds, I could actually use another Bridgeport, and a j head to just keep it simple.

The 1000 rpm top speed of the ebay listing is curious to me for a 16" swing. I was thinking the 18" were 800-1000 rpm. I'm not a Pacemaker guru, but this one, cross feed dial looks home made, replaced, or something. Prolly need a close up inspection to see if it has grads or what.

I had bought a Monarch 12ckk for this 2nd location I have, which I'm still working on. Time and energy have been real issues lately. But I did prefer another 16" x 54". I'll have to kick it around my skull a bit.

Here are the scanned Bulletin pages. Older has the 18 and 22 and Later drops them (They were large frame) and only keeps the 20 heavy. Two "smaller frame" are the 14 and 16

Attachments

• Bul 15 Spec A.jpg
    Bul 15 Spec A.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Bul 15 Spec B.jpg
    Bul 15 Spec B.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Bul 16 Spec A.jpg
    Bul 16 Spec A.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Bul 16 Spec B.jpg
    Bul 16 Spec B.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
You know, I thought we were friends. You know I have way too many projects as it is. And this one a mere 30-40 minutes from my house. Why torture me with another big project ?:D

Yeah, Ive seen Cole's post and have been gnawing on my fingers to keep from replying.

I personally like the D1-6 spindles as I already have stuff to fit them. I had been casually eyeballing another 16" x 54" Pacemaker that has the threaded spindle, LO or LOO ?, but price and shipping will push cost up a bit.

That, Do I really need it statement is one I need to start asking myself..

I agree that cole's is the lathe to own.

The ebay lathe is another project. The leadscrew and feedbar arent rusted but clean. I think they pressure washed it. Thats not good unless dissasembled or dried out right after washing.
Buy something running for peace of mind. Project lathes are easy to buy but a lot of work and can have hidden unwanted supprises.
I guess they all can be a can of worms.

Buying from a working shop or forum member may be the safest in my opinion.

Cole's post about selling his Pacemaker says that space is always limited. These big lathes eat up a lot of realestate and dont move easy.

Last edited:
Cole's post about selling his Pacemaker says that space is always limited. These big lathes eat up a lot of realestate and dont move easy.
I'm going from 4000ft to 400ft. Temporarily, but still a large change.

But, my Pacemaker moves very easily. The previous owner was a tall SOB and bolted it to a steel skid. I can easily skate it or roll it around on bars wherever.

I'm going from 4000ft to 400ft. Temporarily, but still a large change.
2000 rpm is rare, and I guess the dual dials too, and you've got it in good shape and shipping another one is going to cost a fortune ... tarps work. Friend had an SL3 outside under a tarp for ten years ... we brought it in, started her, did a little spiffyup, now happily making parts.

Shipping machines around is a giant loser, if you can just park it for a while imo you'd be ahead :(

There's a close up picture of the front side of the bed. You can see the blend line from the cast iron bed and the bolt on H & G way insert. Other than the rust, the lathe appears to be in good (was) shape. Nothing beat up by bubba, no broken handwheels, knobs, etc. There is a lever missing on the QCGB. My problem is getting that 6,000 piece of cast iron moved to my place, 130 miles away, without paying a fortune to transport and unload. And I really don't need it myself! I'm coming down with the virus, again! Ken

My 1954 Pacemaker 16x54 is a 1000 rpm top speed 18 gear model. It was much dirtier and a bit more rust, with an original Douglas aircraft tag on it when I acquired it. The spindle was scored badly, no chuck, thread dial, or compound, bent clutch handle shaft and broken feed clutch handle. (It did have the chip pan though)

After about a week of repairs, and retrofitting a compound since pacemaker compounds are apparently never available, I had it up and running.

That lathe is now producing parts while holding precision of a couple tenths on a constant basis.

That was the first of our current collection of 5 American lathes, and looking for more.

By the way, I paid $125.00 for it at an auction 15 miles away from home.

That lathe is looking a little better than mine did at purchase, for $450 and $125 to airlift it onto my trailer and drive an hour and half home. It doesn't look particularly desirable, no rare parts, not toolroom, only thing it would have that i would want is the 54" bed. (Mine's a 30) So point- mine looked worse and cleaned up nicely. If it's got the hardened ways, it'd probably be a winner if it stays cheap enough.

Back