What's new
What's new

American Pacemaker info needed

My Pacemaker is 1967. Came with the original paperwork saying it sold new to a gold mine in Arizona. When I looked it up I found American Tool Works was stripped and broken up right about that time. 70's Pacemaker sounds suspicious.

They went thorugh several owners. The final breakup didn't happen until the late 1980's, when White-Sundtrands got the remainders after a "hedge fund" corporate raiders group stripped them for the two blocks of downtown Cincinnati they owned. They were still making brand new designs until the mid-80's ? I had a 78 and an 80. Their last nc machine was a beast : four axis, bazllion horsepower, weighed as much as mt rushmore.

Here's a pic of what I think it may look like, the lathe belongs to user 'tailstock4'. It sits up above the vee rather than in front of it.
None of my carriage stops are factory-made. I made both of them. The little one on the tailstock side of the carriage is to help hold the carriage position during heavy cuts. My machine has Turcite under the saddle and the saddle lock by itself won’t hold it.

IMG_0830.jpg IMG_0831.jpg IMG_0832.jpg

here ya go, enjoy!

this came with the '78, also has the "Fisher Body division General Motors" tag on it. When we acquired the lathe it was packed full of brass and bronze chips to the point of stiff movement of the carriage and cross slide.
IMG_20230124_083930896.jpgIMG_20230124_083938574.jpgIMG_20230124_083948691.jpg

I'm going to be downsizing my shop at the end of the year and this machine will be available for sale, if anyone is interested. It will come with a Dorian CA post and some holder for tooling. The motor starter was updated and has reversing function, although not currently wired for it.

2000rpm, 10hp, D1-6, MT4 in the tail. Machine has been great for me, just losing the room for it. I'll post a formal ad closer to the actual need-gone date but this group seemed interested in this machine so I wanted to let you all know just in case.

Back