What's new
What's new

American Waltham Watch Co. micrometer

The images shown here are of an American Waltham Watch Co. blade bench micrometer. Being that it is chrome plated we would place the date of this micrometer at between the mid - late 1920's to WWII. The disc knob at the left side of the first image is a friction knob. The nonrotating blade spindle is spring loaded against the threaded spindle. The range is 0-10mm. Every revolution of the pointer is 1mm. The dial is divided into 1/100mm increments. We are trying to determine if this micrometer was for sale to the public or a tool for internal company use only.

Attachments

• walmic1.jpg
    walmic1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 35
  • walmic2.jpg
    walmic2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 32
  • walmic3.jpg
    walmic3.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 28
  • walmic4.jpg
    walmic4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 25
  • walmic5.jpg
    walmic5.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 25
  • walmic6.jpg
    walmic6.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 32
I have not seen one like that before. The older company name was American Watch Co., Waltham, Mass. I do not recall what year they changed it to American Waltham Watch Co., but it should be easy to find. There was a third name (Waltham Watch Co.?) to provide an end date.

I do have a conventional 1" micrometer with synthetic sapphire tips made for Elgin by Tubular Micrometer Co. and marked Elgin. They were for sale to the public, not a factory tool. I think they were made some time after 1945 when they wanted to expand their market for synthetic sapphire and the military use had sharply dropped.

There are a few original American Watch Co. production-type machines on display at The Henry Ford and at the NAWCC Museum. Here is what is at The Henry Ford. I think they are nickel plated. I wonder if they were made for display at the 1876 Centennial Exhibition rather than everyday use in the factory.

DSC00491 small.jpg

Larry

Back