What's new
What's new

Another Gerstner Clone

bhigdog

Stainless
001.jpg002.jpg007.jpg010.jpg003.jpg

I'm posting this here rather than the wood working forum because I think as a tool box it's a better fit here. Hope it doesn't give anyone heartburn.

Some of you may remember I've made a few Gerstner clone tool boxes out of different hard woods and posted some pix. A few guys thought cherry would make a nice box. About 10 years ago I had a cherry crotch sawn into 4/4 boards. I couldn't decide on a use for it so I decided to make one last box. This is crotch cherry, natural finish no stain, with maple secondary wood. It should mellow with age a bit darker and more mellow. Not too much useful wood in the crotch, I used up six of the slabs. The other boxes I made I gave away but I think this ones a keeper. Maybe a bit too flamboyant for a staid shop but I like it. Not too sure about the black felt though. I haven't glued it in yet. I would like to go with pigeon blood (dark red) felt drawer liners but I haven't found a source.
If anyone wants to see the others I think a search for Gerstner clone will bring them up......Bob

Ten year old wood ummm that's nice may I ask what was the thickness of the boards in the raw.

They ranged from 4/4 to 6/4 (1" to 11/2"). The 4/4 would have been about right allowing for shrinkage and warping to get straight boards. The sawyer had a hard time holding the crotch so it was hit and miss on the thickness. I thought they would have been more highly figured but cherry is kind of tame grained wood....Bob

I know almost nothing about woodworking... Just wundering... How many hours in a project like that? Beautiful work....

About 100 or so. I never keep close track. That includes making the knobs and other hardware (not the plated stuff you can see). Spent a lot of time just arranging/cutting/gluing boards to get the grain and colors the way I wanted..........Bob

While I personally don't care a whole lot for those Gerstner toolboxes, and I'm not wild about all the sap wood in those boards, I have to pay my respects to you as a woodworker. That is some really nice work - something anyone should be proud of. Very nice job sir...

While I personally don't care a whole lot for those Gerstner toolboxes, and I'm not wild about all the sap wood in those boards, I have to pay my respects to you as a woodworker. That is some really nice work - something anyone should be proud of. Very nice job sir...

Thank you for your kind remarks on my work. I would not expect everyone to appreciate the use of the sap wood but it does make a statement a Kennedy or Lista could never hope to do...........Bob

You did a very nice job of that.

If I were a millionaire, I would pay a retarded amount of money to have a bit of your work in my workshop.

Thank you, but it has a wart or two if you look long and close enough. The others I gave to my son, daughter, grandson and my wife. This one I'll keep. It most likely will be the last. I'm tired of making them. But I did say that the one before this one.........Bob

Thank you, but it has a wart or two if you look long and close enough. The others I gave to my son, daughter, grandson and my wife. This one I'll keep. It most likely will be the last. I'm tired of making them. But I did say that the one before this one.........Bob
Great that you are leaving a permanent legacy..

Last edited:
Great that you are leaving a permanent legacy.. Few people these days leave much more than a bunch of spreadsheets that will be deleted.

The boxes are all signed and dated. None of the recipients are machinists but they were all thrilled to have one ..............Bob

The boxes are all signed and dated. None of the recipients are machinists but they were all thrilled to have one ..............Bob

Heirlooms can be awsome things and weird or very capitalistic in nature. I carry these with me every day.

The coin was given by my great grandfather during the great depression to my grandfather with the words, "with this in your pocket you will never be broke".

My grandfather gave the hundred dollar bill to my dad for his 40th birthday and said spend this in a way that makes you happy.

Me I am trying to find a medium. :willy_nilly: but it does provide some balance in life for what I should consider money and happiness.

dollars.jpg

My point well thought out heirlooms last a long time.

Looks like you used split rivets to hold the hardware, per the original Gerstners.

What tool do you use to put them in?

I have a couple of setters for them, (at least allegedly they are) but neither looks quite right for it. One of mine is a bench type, and one hand-held that looks like a big toggle clamp.

And, I have a Sipco box that I need to reassemble, once I get the hardware re-nickeled, so I have a reason to ask.

Looks like you used split rivets to hold the hardware, per the original Gerstners.

What tool do you use to put them in?

I have a couple of setters for them, (at least allegedly they are) but neither looks quite right for it. One of mine is a bench type, and one hand-held that looks like a big toggle clamp.

And, I have a Sipco box that I need to reassemble, once I get the hardware re-nickeled, so I have a reason to ask.

No rivets. They are just SS or nickel plated Phillips wood screws. I wasn't worried much about theft since I figured they would stay in the family.........Bob

OK, thanks.

Super-looking box! The sapwood does not bother me a bit, gives it interest IMO.

Back