What's new
What's new

Another Gerstner Clone

What strikes me about the beauty of your work, is the art. So many of the photos of things created, that are posted here, are just plain beautiful. The fact they serve a purpose also is just an added bonus. It would be a great joy to have your "clone" just to look at.

What strikes me about the beauty of your work, is the art. So many of the photos of things created, that are posted here, are just plain beautiful. The fact they serve a purpose also is just an added bonus. It would be a great joy to have your "clone" just to look at.

Thank you. I did spend a lot of time figuring cuts and arranging things. I would have liked a splash of sap wood on the top right drawer but I couldn't find just the right piece of wood. Oh well........Bob

While I personally don't care a whole lot for those Gerstner toolboxes, and I'm not wild about all the sap wood in those boards,
I don't like sapwood either....not sure why....maybe because it reminds me of cedar, which reminds me of crap tourist stuff from Pedro's South of the Border. :stirthepot: Otherwise, nice job.

Still as an ex professional woodworker myself it always amuses me when machinists go ga ga over some relatively simple woodwork, when what they (machinist) do is way more complicated, meanwhile ignoring the actual complex woodwork of pattern makers, which is a trade more related to their profession.

Still as an ex professional woodworker myself it always amuses me when machinists go ga ga over some relatively simple woodwork, when what they (machinist) do is way more complicated, meanwhile ignoring the actual complex woodwork of pattern makers, which is a trade more related to their profession.

I think I've made some really nice things out of metal, but wood remains a mystery to me... Everything I make in wood looks like a
drunk, blind, 3 year old made it...

One of my goals in life is to actually make something out of wood that looks nice.

I think I've made some really nice things out of metal, but wood remains a mystery to me... Everything I make in wood looks like a
drunk, blind, 3 year old made it...

One of my goals in life is to actually make something out of wood that looks nice.

Wood is like a women. You never REALLY know what it's going to do until it's too late........Bob

I don't like sapwood either....not sure why....maybe because it reminds me of cedar, which reminds me of crap tourist stuff from Pedro's South of the Border. :stirthepot: Otherwise, nice job.

I don't think it's the simple woodwork that we like. It's more of what beauty 'mother nature' has given us and what we can transform it into and still keep her artwork alive. It's pretty tough to see the softness in a chunk of steel.

I don't think it's the simple woodwork that we like. It's more of what beauty 'mother nature' has given us and what we can transform it into and still keep her artwork alive. It's pretty tough to see the softness in a chunk of steel.

Yup. Pretty much nails it..........Bob

I am feeling a bit awkward typing this, but I like what you did with your crotch sap. Many years ago I built a solid cherry kitchen for a client. He wanted RP painted doors for the 3 baths in the house. Fairly big vanities. I made all of them with the cherry sap wood left over from the all heart wood kitchen. To my surprised he had the painter on site finish all of them in clear. Looked good too.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. I saw a kitchen in a rustic type house where all the cabinets were made from run of the log hickory. Heart wood, sap wood, knots, burl it was all used. It fit the house and it was stunning. That was actually the inspiration for the hickory box I made........Bob

Nice work,makes me want to make a clone like yours.I have enough cherry left from 3 trees that I took down and sawed up in 1994.Most of the wood is stickered in the loft of my shop,you think it may be dry enough to use by now?The most interesting part was the sawing of the boards.My grandfather was still alive and he taught me how to build a sash saw.Not many if any still around anymore. Worked with a reciprocating motion that moved a wood sash with band saw blades tensioned inside the saw frame. Pitman arm driven with a kohler 25 hp engine salvaged from a irrigation pump gave it the reciprocating motion.Logs were pulled with an electric winch on 4" angle iron upside down in a Vee.The bed was made up of 2" angle iron that rode on the 4" angles.I thought about rollers but greasing the angles worked good enough.
I had the engine and some of the steel. Cost about $250.00 for the rest including a cheap winch from HF.
I used this saw mill for 10 years. Sold it for $1000.00 to a wood worker with a large wooded lot.Wish I kept it now.
mike

I'd love to see pix of the saw if you have any. The rule of thumb for air drying on sticks in the dry is 1 year per inch of thickness. I'd say your cherry is way ready to be used. Good luck with it........Bob

In the interest of further stirring the pot, that thing would look real nice in the douche room of a whore house. I'd rather nail my wang to a cherry stump than have it in my shop. ..........Bob
But...but...your Federal gauge block checker would look spectacular in there ! :stirthepot:

Yes, it's an ornament for the .1 percenters....but mostly posted for the second link to his more "utilitarian" cabinetry ;)

Back