What's new
What's new

Another long time job shop closes

ratbldr427

Titanium
Liddys has been around since the fourties. I could always count on them to handle the jobs to big for our equipment. I needed some 18" pressure plates faced and went by the shop without calling first to find it closed. I used to do them on our 24" lathe but we needed space so it went into storage with no power hook up available.
Had our expiditeor call a hand full of so called machine shops and all said they couldn't do the job with various excuses. A lot of them are fab shops so they must sub out machine work? Why advertise as a machine shop if you can't do simple machine work?

Check out their F/B page, shows a sampling of the work they did. Good all around shop, going to miss them.

It is always a sad day when a shop closes, I wonder why they are closing? too many variables and I hate assuming. Could be economic, could be older workforce retiring, could be just had enough, loss of interest, numbers not adding up in the books to make it viable.

Looks like a cool shop I am always fascinated by the bigger stuff.

They are a block or so from the river and all that property is being redeveloped. At the end of his street just built a huge stretch of apartments. All the industrial areas along the river downtown are slowly being redeveloped. So maybe the property is worth selling and moving. Chris told me one time that he wouldn't mind selling and moving. Don't know if that's the case or if he retired. They always seemed to have plenty of work and a good reputation. I haven't seen any auction signs yet.

Ford had a Model T & Model A assembly plant on the river that just sold to developers to be demoed. People have tried to save it for years and repurpose it to no avail.

Jacksonville is a relatively new city compared to ne citys since the great fire in 1901 destroyed most of the north side. However there are a lot of neat old buildings that should be saved but sadly the economics just don't make iot possible.

I remember Liddy’s . They did some work surface grinder work for me. They did a lot of Armature work for FPL.

Back