What's new
What's new

Another "What to Buy Question"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmltinc

Plastic
Sorry to bother with another of these questions (you must get a million), but I am whipped and need advice as I am a Mill Newbie. First, I must say I have had a lot of projects that went by the wayside for lack of a mill, but I cannot in good faith tell you a max size I would require.

I have researched tabletop mills for what seems a lifetime (years, actually). Being a Newb, there is a lot to absorb. I was gung-ho on a Sieg S2D style, but realized the column was a big weak point for me (vibration) and turned to the littlemachineshop.com fixed column alternate. It wasn't long before I realized all those machines were just too small. I found this: https://www.toolots.com/vm25l-d3a-ssssssssss-c9165-vm25l-d3a-mmywjtqym.html/ng-frontend//#/productDetail?id=68566&title=VM25L-D%207"%20x%2027"%20Benchtop%20Milling%20Machine%20Variable%20Speed%20100-2250%20RPM%20%201.5HP(1100W)%20Brushless%20Compact%20Mill%20Drill%20with%20R8%20Spindle%20and%203-Axis%20DRO and thought I FOUND IT - 1 1/2 HP, large table, full-featured DRO... But by inference from various posts on another forum regarding vises, I realized the Y-Axis is lacking. My budget (on just the mill) has grown from $1k to $2,800 in one week (I guess after a lifetime that is called progress).

Is the Y-Axis travel appropriate, or can I do better?

Maybe I should approach this from a different angle - that is ask for recommendations. I am willing to shell-out $2,800 (which includes shipping) but my needs are:
- Has to be a tabletop
- Will work on mild steel
- Longest table I can have
- Longest Y-Axis I can have
- Now I know about T Slots and vise - the proper combination
- Good DRO
- Something that can mill a surface without leaving marks
- And anything I haven't thought of

I know I asked a lot and there will be compromise. May I ask for recommendations before you folks having enough of me?

Thank you so very much!
John

Yet another "Meaningless Title" from a newbi that can't seem to read, understand, nor follow the rules.

Think they don't apply to you ?
'Cause your "Special".....

If you have 3 grand to buy a mill you should be able to find a Bridgeport, South Bend, or other brands that don't come to mind right now. Just starting out you don't need a DRO and forget about a mill in your price range that wont leave tool marks. Oh you talk to damn much next time you post something get right to the point. second Oh post you location nobody going to stalk you. If people know where your from they will be more willing to respond with something that not on the internet. (like me)

Glad I came. You should come to Tennessee some time...
Try reading...you would think an "engineer" has that ability.... :nutter:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back