What's new
What's new

Any experiences running a "home" shop in Utah?

DethloffMfg

Cast Iron
We're looking at moving our home and manufacturing to Utah. We've been running what might be called a 'home-operated business' for 6+ years with my shop on the property and I would like to keep doing that and to grow our working space with the move. We're looking for properties around Tooele or Utah Counties where we can have a house and a 3-4k sq.ft. shop. So far we aren't seeing anything with a large enough shop, but maybe something big enough to keep operations going while we build a 3-4k sq.ft. shop for the longer run.

So far I think we're striking out on the ability to have a business on the property in any of the counties around SLC. It seems Tooele Co allows it but only on 10+ acre rural properties. What gives? So far it seems like Oregon is way easier to do this in than Utah and that makes no sense to me. If anyone has advice that they could share here or in PM's I am all ears because this is a major stumbling block for us so far. I hate the idea of going from a home shop that's worked so well to leasing a commercial shop.

Thanks!

I am in Utah SLC, but my business outlook isn't the same as your apparently.
You could go out to Vernal area and be ok, even get oil work.

I do production work in the city, metal suppliers deliver, and are close.
customers come pick up their own parts. If I need anything(customers)it's all around me.
The only pro I see for rural big shop is its cheaper, that's it.
Everything else to me is a con.

I could have bought a big shop, house down the road in Roosevelt. cheap and big.
But there's nothing else out there, no customers, no tooling suppliers, no material suppliers, nothing.

I would say Tooele, it's close.
Vernal
Even north towards Ogden is easier.

But in my eyes big commercial manufacturing that belongs in commercial area of SL out by the airport.
You can bounce ideas off me though.

I am in Utah SLC, but my business outlook isn't the same as your apparently.
You could go out to Vernal area and be ok, even get oil work.

I do production work in the city, metal suppliers deliver, and are close.
customers come pick up their own parts. If I need anything(customers)it's all around me.
The only pro I see for rural big shop is its cheaper, that's it.
Everything else to me is a con.

I could have bought a big shop, house down the road in Roosevelt. cheap and big.
But there's nothing else out there, no customers, no tooling suppliers, no material suppliers, nothing.

I would say Tooele, it's close.
Vernal
Even north towards Ogden is easier.

But in my eyes big commercial manufacturing that belongs in commercial area of SL out by the airport.
You can bounce ideas off me though.
Thanks for your feedback!

We produce our own products and ship UPS, no job shop work, so customer access and impromptu material delivery aren't important for us. I haven't used our local tooling supplier in years and have been fine just ordering tooling and having it come UPS. We need laser, sheet metal bending and powder coating vendors within driving or delivery distance.

We're currently looking between Tooele and Rush Valley east to Eagle Mountain. Our current shop is painfully tiny and the most important bottleneck to address. It's also been hard to find any listings for shops to lease in the area just as a consideration.

The business-on-property regulations seem to suck so far. Tooele County said they'll do it only on 10-acre or larger properties and on a conditional basis. Everything seems to only get harder from there. I don't think we'd have a hard time meeting said conditions based on how clean a shop we keep and how low-risk our work is all things considered, but many places just seem to have zero interest in having any businesses in their county that aren't in a business park. It makes no sense to me. I have to think there are tons of businesses in the area that just did it and didn't ask. That's not particularly what we're trying to do.

Everywhere is being gentrified .........people who work with their hands are looked down on............residents associations .automatically assume your yard will be filled with junk cars .....and you will drive a rust rod with open pipes belching black smoke.........property values are peoples whole lives .
You need to grow a beard, get sleeve tatoos, wear a leather apron and call yourself an artisan.

I've lots of stories of Utah from friends, some good, some not. Beautiful place for the desert. If you are Mormon you will love it. If you are not you will always be a second class citizen.

You could look into Santaquin. It's on the south end of Utah County and you may still be able to get some property large enough to do what you want. Genola and Goshen out there which I've always liked. You could also look into Mona in Juab county -honestly the next town south of Santaquin- or somewhere in Millard county. My brother in law just started a powder coating shop in Delta and does really well, despite not really having customers right next to him. There are many towns out there will less than 100 people population and very open.

Mona, Goshen, and Genola will have what you need space wise. If you decide to build in these areas you'll have to dig a well and all that fun stuff.

Our operation is similar to yours, we ended up in Idaho where they are very welcoming to small business.
One day soon you'll be an idahoan, muttering, "them goldurn californians, comin up here jackin' up prices and messin up the traffic, why can't they just stay in their own hellhole state and leave us alone !" :D

Thanks for your feedback!

We produce our own products and ship UPS, no job shop work, so customer access and impromptu material delivery aren't important for us. I haven't used our local tooling supplier in years and have been fine just ordering tooling and having it come UPS. We need laser, sheet metal bending and powder coating vendors within driving or delivery distance.

We're currently looking between Tooele and Rush Valley east to Eagle Mountain. Our current shop is painfully tiny and the most important bottleneck to address. It's also been hard to find any listings for shops to lease in the area just as a consideration.

The business-on-property regulations seem to suck so far. Tooele County said they'll do it only on 10-acre or larger properties and on a conditional basis. Everything seems to only get harder from there. I don't think we'd have a hard time meeting said conditions based on how clean a shop we keep and how low-risk our work is all things considered, but many places just seem to have zero interest in having any businesses in their county that aren't in a business park. It makes no sense to me. I have to think there are tons of businesses in the area that just did it and didn't ask. That's not particularly what we're trying to do.
I would try looking north of salt lake, there may be some areas out that way more also.
When its rural, sure, I agree, let it rip.
But we have zoning laws for a reason, I don't want the guy next to me lowering my property resale value, or just seeing his big mess of hot rod collections, or big delivery truck,
his loud ass machine shop, outside air compressors.....In my neighborhood, I also wouldn't want to buy a home contaminated with who knows what from who knows what business that was ran their.
Chemicals absorbed in the walls, oils in the ground......

So I am one of the people that agree on the zoning deal.

But I live in the city, as a kid when we lived out in Duchesne, miles away from anyone, anything, sure, let it rip.

There are the places that are in between, Utah country used to be one, but that filled in a while ago, was more farm lands.

I would try the north, North Salt Lake to North Ogden, see if there are still some holes available, that type of area is going away.
The city is growing too fast, wish they would stop telling people its one of the top 10 places in the US to live and business, STOP!

But as it grows within the city, they are building tons of apartment compex now instead of houses. on the undeveloped areas, which is the west of the valley they have already earmarked it, homes, and retal...

Commercial some also out west, but zoned, so no homes and businesses mixed on a plot. Mixed zoning like that is going away quick.

Eagle mountain is really earmarked as residential for the most part, and being on the other side of the lake is yuk, far too drive anywhere.

But yeah tooele, or possibly north of SL, or rural, or smaller places like Vernal or similar.
I don't know the zoning out in the Kamas area, look in that area first, that is sweet area, branch from there also.

edit" as @spinninquin mentioned, places down south, out the bottom of the city strip.

One day soon you'll be an idahoan, muttering, "them goldurn californians, comin up here jackin' up prices and messin up the traffic, why can't they just stay in their own hellhole state and leave us alone !" :D
And those fukn Californian politicians need to stop loading buses of homeless people and shipping them to other places. :D

For the amount of money they piss away ? they could buy Detroit and give every one of them a house. It's ridiculous. And annoying.
We never had a lot of homeless, now its a city of homeless.
They actually did catch some California cities shipping homeless in buses to places like here.

The Detroit would be a sick plan, shit I'll throw in my tax dollars, gather em all up bus em to Detroit, set up a homeless infrastructure, call it a day.

We never had a lot of homeless, now its a city of homeless.
We can thank ben bernanke. Dump trillions of dollars into goldman-sachs and what will happen ? you think those guys want worthless paper ? Of course they immediately turn it into real stuff - like houses and companies and commercial property.

Then they jack up the rent and all the costs of living plus dropping relative wages so they can make more money for themselves and voila ! People living on the streets.

There's no reason for this bullshit inflation - which is NOT 2 or 3% - it's gouging. Blood-sucking. Ripping off the middle class and putting the people on the lower edge out into the streets.

1929 all over again. If you guys get it together, I'll fly back to join a pitchforks and flaming torches raid on wall street. I'd even help build guillotines. With modern technology we ought to be able to speed up throughput quite a bit :)

Last edited:
You could look into Santaquin. It's on the south end of Utah County and you may still be able to get some property large enough to do what you want. Genola and Goshen out there which I've always liked. You could also look into Mona in Juab county -honestly the next town south of Santaquin- or somewhere in Millard county. My brother in law just started a powder coating shop in Delta and does really well, despite not really having customers right next to him. There are many towns out there will less than 100 people population and very open.

Mona, Goshen, and Genola will have what you need space wise. If you decide to build in these areas you'll have to dig a well and all that fun stuff.
THIS is exactly what I was going to suggest.

THIS is exactly what I was going to suggest.
These areas are going to grow (Genola, Goshen, Santaquin already is) with the addition of the new beltway going around the west side of Utah Lake. With that, owning property now will be the make or break in the situation.

With IPP switching gears, Millard county is going to become (even) cheaper, and it may be a great time to pick up some acreage!

Back