What's new
What's new

Any experiences running a "home" shop in Utah?

We checked out that area and really liked it, we loved the drive south of Goshen. If we found a place in there it would work well for us. Our Church parishes are around SLC, Payson, Price and St. George so we want to stay within driving distance of those. Going farther south into Millard Co would be too far a drive for us.
If you can't tell, I'm not a huge fan of the much things north of about Traverse Mountain haha. That being said, have you checked anything closer to St George? That'll keep you close to your parishes, there's quite a bit of manufacturing, there's a trade school to get potential hires from, and it sounds like the proper environment for your business. Down there your options are Washington, Hurricane, La Verkin, and Toquerville. St George itself is very expensive, but I know/knew of quite a few small businesses in Washington and Hurricane that did really well for themselves. One of them even built mini trucks. Even though I'm born and raised in Utah, I have a soft spot in my heart for a truck that can lay-frame going 70 on the freeway.

Affiliated, ThyssenKrupp, Specialty Steel 3rd and 8th.
If your hard up for something small, metal supermarket.
Plastic Laird

Affiliated, Thyssenkrupp, and Laird are a all by each other.

I didn't read all the responses, but I am in Northern Utah and when I built my house, I oversized my garage +2ksqft and added reinforced floors. I have a couple machines in my shop and I run it after hours and during the weekend. Neighbors don't get me into any trouble and you'd never know I have a machine shop when my doors are down. I find most of the neighborhood actually think it's "cool".

There is a lot of rural equestrian land in Hooper, Harrisville, Plain City, etc. that you could look into. You won't be bothering anybody out there.

Affiliated, ThyssenKrupp, Specialty Steel 3rd and 8th.
If your hard up for something small, metal supermarket.
Plastic Laird

Affiliated, Thyssenkrupp, and Laird are a all by each other.
Affiliated seems to give me the best price.

Back