What's new
What's new

Any idea who made this 6" 4-jaw chuck?

netmagi

Plastic
Was filthy when I got it and thought it might just be an 'older' import, but now that I've cleaned it up it looks like a high-quality vintage chuck. Cushman maybe? There are the remains of what looks like some gray paint on the inside of the back of the chuck on the raw casting.

It's in pretty darn good shape. Backing plate is 1-1/2 8 TPI, and was secured with 4 flathead screws that all had varying thread length (manually-made)?

Thinking I'll probably keep it as I have a dividing head that takes 1-1/2 8 TPI chucks, but curious if anyone knows the maker. The only stampings are "U26", and the letter "G". The jaws all have a "G" stamped on them as well (in addition to their numbers 1-4).

Forum is telling me the uploaded files are too large, so they are here:

-Rich H.

I can't identify it, but it has really curious (as in I am scratching my head) roughing machining marks on the rear face of the backplate. What process/machine was that done on?

I can't identify it, but it has really curious (as in I am scratching my head) roughing machining marks on the rear face of the backplate. What process/machine was that done on?
was wondering the same. . . giant form tool?

There is a simple test...try the body with a file.........if the body is hard,then It will likely be a quality chuck.......Asian chucks are soft cast iron all over.

The wrench hole size might indicate import. 7.5mm is .295" the 19/64" is .297". But it might not be Asian maybe a quality European brand possibly German.

I've never seen a "digital" caliper that displays "64's".
Bob
I have one, will do Inch, fractions and metric, cheap Chinese and quite a few of them on ebay where I got this one. Keep it in my desk draw at home, in my shop I have a Starrett digital with only inch and metric on my desk but rarely use it in the shop. If calipers are good enough I use the 6" Starrett 123 Vernier. Do have a set of the 123's from 6" to 48" if needed.

The jaws resemble those used on an Cushman chuck. At least on my 8" and 10" I have. The 6" chuck I have, they are thinner and not as heavily built. Those keepers don't look like anything that Cushman used.

Back