What's new
What's new

Any multitasking mill-turn machine with lower turret below $400k?

evidence_UA

Aluminum
Hi, we are currenly looking for new mill-turn multitasking machine but I interested are there any manufactures that can propose a machine having a lower turret (that's mandatory) for a budget below 400k? We do not need huge and powerful machine so the DMG NTX series will perfectly fit, however, I am afraid it will twice exceed our budget, had send them the RFP.

My current contact list as follows, I cannot find more manufacturers who has a lower-turret option for compact-sized machines. Okuma, Mazak etc. have the lower turret options on their big machines which presumably cost over 1 mil
Doosan SMX 2100ST
Nakamura Tome JX-200
DMG NTX 1000

Thanks

machine having a lower turret (that's mandatory) for a budget below 400k?

:rolleyes5:
Okuma, Mazak etc. have the lower turret options on their big machines
Maybe WFL? Seems they have a turret option on the smaller models (small for WFL haha) and they are in Austria which will save you a bit on shipping. But Okuma's price will probably seem like a sell-out to you after the WFL price. But you need to try! What if they can offer something?

Doosan is in a significantly lower price bracket of those you've listed, and is probably the cheapest millturn available excluding Taiwanese brands. Hyundia-Wia have a few options that might be priced similarly to Doosan.

However, those are still above your budget.

Absolute cheapest, probably a Victor Taichung - probably is available within your budget, although not clear if they offer a lower turret on their current machines - looks like they've removed that option on their newer models.

Just to be clear - you are asking about a lathe with a B axis head above?

Or just a twin turret lathe with live tooling?

edit - I guess your examples preclude the B axis head.
But - you doo actually need that?

--------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

Last edited:
Just to be clear - you are asking about a lathe with a B axis head above?

Or just a twin turret lathe with live tooling?

--------------------

A lathe with a B axis head (a swivel head) and a mandatory lower turret

However, I doubt I could fit the budget because these machines are really state-of-the-art having the base model price above 500-600k, so I suppose the best choice is to diversify and and invest into 2 separate machines:
- SY lathe (or just c-axis lathe with a sub-spindle without Y). Doosan or Goodway will be my choice
- 5 axis milling machine. Currenly looking into a Okuma Genos M460V-5ax. They have a really good price not much higher (i was really impressed) than a Haas UMC-750SS which has it the lowest on the market. Maybe, the only downside is that it has it's proprietary control OSP and most of guys here are Siemens guys but I believe it would be easy enough to learn and master it

Thanks for the replies

Reactions: Ox
A lathe with a B axis head (a swivel head) and a mandatory lower turret

However, I doubt I could fit the budget because these machines are really state-of-the-art having the base model price above 500-600k, so I suppose the best choice is to diversify and and invest into 2 separate machines:
- SY lathe (or just c-axis lathe with a sub-spindle without Y). Doosan or Goodway will be my choice
- 5 axis milling machine. Currenly looking into a Okuma Genos M460V-5ax. They have a really good price not much higher (i was really impressed) than a Haas UMC-750SS which has it the lowest on the market. Maybe, the only downside is that it has it's proprietary control OSP and most of guys here are Siemens guys but I believe it would be easy enough to learn and master it

Thanks for the replies

You seem a bit unclear on what your actual requirements are...

If you can work with an simple lathe and 5ax VMC instead, why is the lower turret mandatory for the B axis machine?

You seem a bit unclear on what your actual requirements are...

If you can work with an simple lathe and 5ax VMC instead, why is the lower turret mandatory for the B axis machine?
We have parts in a large batches which involves only turning, so using a swivel head for turning is not very efficient in a terms of tool changing time. However, we have many complex shaped parts with not much turning and a much milling operations

We have parts in a large batches which involves only turning, so using a swivel head for turning is not very efficient in a terms of tool changing time. However, we have many complex shaped parts with not much turning and a much milling operations
I'd really avoid putting those turning only parts in a B axis. It's really not an efficient use of that machine.

I had an NTX2500 at my old job and I loved that machine, but we had a lot of complex turned + milled parts, and I used it only for those.
Basic turning went in the Y+Sub lathe instead, especially if it was a larger batch.

If I were in your place I'd stick to a basic lathe for the turning only parts, and then I'd determine whether the turning+milling parts justify the B axis machine, and consider a B axis head only (no lower turret) machine against a lathe + 5ax VMC.

If your B axis needs can be met reasonably in a 5x mill, then I would prefer to have one of each.
I am 100% skeptical of the mill heads on those lathes being within the spec's that you may be expecting - for long. And they are known for very high repair bills.

I would think that a 5x mill would likely be stouter in that regards.

Plus you git better through-put with 2 machines as you would just one.

If you need one, then you need one, but if you can find a good option otherwise, it should be explored.

------------------

If your B axis needs can be met reasonably in a 5x mill, then I would prefer to have one of each.
I am 100% skeptical of the mill heads on those lathes being within the spec's that you may be expecting - for long. And they are known for very high repair bills.

I would think that a 5x mill would likely be stouter in that regards.

Plus you git better through-put with 2 machines as you would just one.

If you need one, then you need one, but if you can find a good option otherwise, it should be explored.

------------------

I've said it before, but it bears repeating. The milling spindle in the NTX was closer to a 50 taper than a 40 taper in performance and rigidity. I only ran that machine for two years, but I made a LOT of chips with it in that time. And very accurate too.

B axis millturns are the pinnacle for complex parts. They are not economical on simple turned parts, or turned parts with basic milling.

If I were in your place I'd stick to a basic lathe for the turning only parts, and then I'd determine whether the turning+milling parts justify the B axis machine, and consider a B axis head only (no lower turret) machine against a lathe + 5ax VMC.
ha, that makes sense. I really need to rethink think this, especially having parts which are not meant to be put out of the turning operation into another machine for milling. Thank you

Nakamura NTJ100 may fit into your budget
What's the benefit of this machine?

Seems like you're paying not much less than the price of a real b-axis millturn and in return you get a lot less versatility and performance.

Seems like you're paying not much less than the price of a real b-axis millturn and in return you get a lot less versatility and performance.
This is just my best educated guess: typically a turret index is much faster than a tool change, so faster cycle times would be the primary benefit.

This is just my best educated guess: typically a turret index is much faster than a tool change, so faster cycle times would be the primary benefit.

It looks like a poor cousin of an Index G200.

Basically it's a niche machine for where a B axis and multi-turret speed is required.

Back