What's new
What's new

Any suggestions to remove stuck plunger pin in an apron?

~xXiXx~

Plastic
Hi, I recently got a Town Woodhouse lathe and been doing some light TLC. Got an issue in the apron. The lead screw lever is held in place by a plunger and a spring. I was able to remove the spring but plunger is stuck deep inside the casting.

Things I have tried:
- Sprayed copious amount of penetrating blaster & WD40.
- Tapping it gently all around and tapping it using a punch to loosen it.
- Tried to drill it so that I can use one of the bolt removal tool but it seems the plunger pin material is hardened so wasn't able to drill.
- Flame torched it, but not sure if I'm able to get the heat in the right place. I'm also concerned about the casting cracking due to uneven heat.
- Tried magnetic removal tool but couldn't get any that are small enough to go into the hole. Its just ~5.5mm/0.2" wide.

Last nuclear option is to drill. Either drill directly into the casting, radial to the plunger from outside & then try to dislodge it or drill axial & make it a bigger hole even though I could crack the casting . It will create more problems than solving it, so I'm not inclined to do it. Other option is to just leave it but it seems some chips are lodge inside and doesn't turn smooth. I had to remove a lot of thing to get to the apron, so could I would really like to remove it & clean it before assembling it back.

Any suggestions to remove it?

Attachments

• Plunger 1.jpg
    Plunger 1.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Plunger 2.jpg
    Plunger 2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Plunger.png
    Plunger.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 43
Looks quite rusted, so you will need to go nuclear. Ideally, drill and tap, use a puller of some kind. You will need a drill press or vertical mill for the the drilling; hand is unlikely to be successful. May need to use a carbide drill, if the pin is hard.

Last edited:
You could also try soaking it in evaporust. If the part is fully submerged it won't do any harm.

I had a similar problem. I used small wire tube brushes to completely clean the hole and an end brush to get all the way to the pin, spray cleaner and air. In other words clean clean clean. Used a small flat end rod that fit the hole with a small drop of super glue on the end. Several attempts and it came back enough the get the handle out and then its easy from there.

Sorry for the late reply. I tried cleaning as much as possible but it just didn't budge. So I just left it and reassembled the apron, as I had so many other things to fix. And after I started using the lathe few times I saw the pin drop out on it own. So it was all good in the end without having to do any damage to the apron.

Get someone with a tap disintegration rig to spark it out crossed my mind, think a tubular electrode would see it off
Mark

For others reading this thread. I removed a broken drill from deep inside a large automotive stamping die casting using the method below. This can also be used on stuck pins.

Take the flux off a suitably sized welding rod and wrap the rod in masking tape with only the front exposed. Push it firmly against the back of the pin and switch the welder on and off. You now have a firm attachment point for removing the pin. When pulling don't wiggle the rod as this will break the weld.

Obviously don't do this where you can damage electronics etc.

Last edited:

Back