What's new
What's new

any way to straighten 2 stage compressor intercooler fins?

metalmagpie

Titanium
I have this old air pump I'm considering refurbishing. I sure don't want to go buying new intercooler pipes. The fins on these intercooler pipes aren't too bad but lots of fins need straightening. I have seen those combs they use on automotive turbo intercoolers and those aren't going to cut it.

I see people talking about going in there with two toothpicks. That's not going to work. These fins are thicker than the ones they were working on. They are made of copper, of course, which is very ductile and thus hopefully won't break.

I just need the right tool(s) and/or techniques.

metalmagpie

Do you mean a pipe with round "fins" on it? Get a piece of sheet metal the same thickness as the gap between the fins. It does not need to be much bigger than the discs. Insert between a good fin and a bent one and then push down on the bent one against the sheet metal spacer using the good fin as a backer. Small screwdriver or chisel that fits between. If you hammer use a very small hammer.
Pics will be best though.

Here is a link to fin combs at McMaster Carr. Graingers also carries them.

I have seen those combs they use on automotive turbo intercoolers and those aren't going to cut it.
These fins are thicker than the ones they were working on. They are made of copper, of course, which is very ductile and thus hopefully won't break.
I'll quote this to maybe stop the next guy from suggesting a comb....

I went out there with two small screwdrivers and a small pair of duckbill pliers. They straighten, but where they're crumpled together like tin foil it isn't easy to get them separated.

And they aren't copper, they're aluminum. Cheapskates.

Here by popular demand is a photo. Let me know if it isn't right.

mysteryPump.jpg

Today I removed one of the intercoolers and started on the job of straightening the fins aka ribs. I would not want to try this job without removing the intercooler. Champion intercoolers are fastened with compression fittings and mine had been on there for 50 years, so I had to knock them loose after unscrewing the nuts. My straightening tools are a simple straight screwdriver and a small pair of duck bill pliers. The parts that are only bent aren't too bad, but the parts where the fin material is torn are harder. It's slow going but it clearly looks enormously better after I go over an area. So I think it will be worth it. For one thing, once the fins are separated from each other, any dirt, debris or insect material can be blown or brushed out. For another, once you can get to everywhere the intercooler can be painted. Also, the intercooler lines can be cleaned and flushed out to remove old oil and dirt.

metalmagpie

Duckbill VISE GRIPS!

I have a pair much like this:

I use them primarily on sheet metal.

OK, they call them "sheet metal" style, but this was the first return when I searched for "duckbill vise grips". And my apology for my misspelling.

Last edited:
Duckbill VISE GRIPS!

I have a pair much like this:

I use them primarily on sheet metal.

Yes, they work good on sheet metal but I don't think you could fit the jaws between fins. I also thought they had a more official name but can't remember what it is ....

for paint, I'd go with crinkle black and maybe polish and plate the fittings. Either chrome or nickel or maybe brass ... mmm, bling !

Or stove enamel the cases black, red fins, wirebrush and nickel plate fittings, looks like stainless, arlen ness would be proud :D

Back