What's new
What's new

Anybody make basic 2 axis dual spindle lathe with 10" chucks?

All our pie jaws overhang the chucks anyways, coolant spray is bad but what's more annoying is the effective chip trap.

I've seen the DualTurns before, I like the partition because then we can be loading/unloading the sub while the main is cutting.
That GTS-260 looks compact-smaller than our Haas-seems just about right envelope spec for our parts as well.

Not quite sure what the flow would be in a twin turret machine but definitely something to ponder.

Reactions: Ox
Well of course the Y-axis on a haas is a wet noodle.
But a Mori NLX/Nakamura will be way more rigid than a haas without a Y.
Okuma's sub spindles are not matched like the Mori's are, unfortunately. So you get a 10" and a 6".

Why not buy 2 X/Z lathes (relatively cheap), face them at each other and run a robot arm between them? If you can spare the floor space, it'd be the simplest and least expensive solution and when you don't need the "subspindle" you can just run them as two lathes with a robot to keep them both fed.

I think Murata makes those.
So does Okuma.
Doosan/DN makes one too.
Most of these have live tooling but many have enough clearance to machine the parts you have.

I've looked at a lot of the twin spindle/twin turret options, horizontal and front facing. The GTS is available without Y-axis and live tooling at least, but is still twin/twin. I'm not sure we'd really be able to capitalize on the second turret in a way that makes it worth the added expense, we might just be better off with two chucker's and a robot...
I was really hoping somebody would be able to point me in the direction of something similar to what we have now, but with some better bones.

Another question for those who machine other parts susceptible to deformation from clamping (like dinner plate aspect ratio or tube), have you tried using jaws with inserts to get a mechanical lock vs just clamping harder on regular jaws? I'm thinking instead of pie-jaws and an extra stock prep operation to avoid deformation maybe I could get away with some versa-jaw style inserts and run lower clamp pressure? Majority of material removal is on the main, and it is clamping on the prepped surface, not a finished one. If I could avoid the stock prep op a twin/twin makes a lot more sense...

IDK what you are in ref to, but there are 3 jaw chucks that replicate 6 jaws, but better.
Each of the 3 jaws has a pivot point where 2 individual pads make contact.
This would still center on the 3, but would spread the force out over 6, and average out any high and low spots 50% better.

IDK that you couldn't just make up same type top jaws for a std 3 jaw chuck?
You would not want to allow much movement tho, or it could (would) hinder loading the new part.

I think that I have some top jaws that have the inserts like you may be eluding to.
Not sure where you get them, but I would expect Carr Lane or similar.
I don't think I have ever used them. (came with machines)

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I'm not clear in my head exactly what you are looking for, but the chucks they use for cast aluminum car wheels have these finger things that reach over the rim and grip the casting, rather than typical jaws. A 20" wheel is fairly heavy and they spin them to the moon, so they have to have good grip, but they can't clamp super tight or they'll either distort or break the casting. You might look into something like that. Those are low-volume products too, so getting just a few would not be out of the question. The only thing is, pretty sure they aren't real cheap.

That sounds pretty close to what I'm thinking, but I don't have room or geometry for "fingers"
Each jaw could have a couple of versa-jaw inserts in it so you seat against the jaw in Z and the radial clamping is done by the teeth of the inserts. The mechanical bite of the inserts may let me clamp lighter than what I have to do with traditional pie jaws. If I can still "spin to the moon" while clamping lighter I can avoid a stock prep op which means I can feed parts into one spindle and they come off the other complete, no more prep backside -> rough/finish frontside -> rough/finish backside back-and-forth

I made some pivoting "faux 6 jaw" hardware for use on castings a while ago, I hadn't thought about making some for this application. My first attempt had too much float and as OX pointed out it made loading castings kind of a hassle but I'm sure a V2 would work better.

Back