What's new
What's new

Anyone ever deal with Parts Plus?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but Jim at JFC contacted me this week. I was wondering if anyone has any recent experience with JFC?

I don't really need any more work right now, but I'm always looking to diversify to other industries.

I will probably go with my gut and pass on this, but I am a little curious.

He calls us about every 2 years or so, I guess to see if I'm hungry. Nothing he sent me was ever very interesting so I've never done business with him. Most have been jobs that needed a variaxis to do without lots of setups and only for 40 or 50 parts, usually with real tight tolerances on odd features. When I say no on those parts I never get further interest from him.

If that is the Parts Plus guy he wants to charge you $2500 for what you can do yourself for free if you want to spend a few hours here and there signing up for DOD work. He has no more inside track to government contracting work than the guy selling hotdogs at a ball game. I found him to be a condescending lying jerk when I told him why I didn't need his services. He still called me every month for a couple years after I told him to pound sand. I never answered the phone after the first time, but he still left voice mails. He obviously did not keep good records of his previous sales calls or he would have never kept calling me.

If that is the Parts Plus guy he wants to charge you $2500 for what you can do yourself for free if you want to spend a few hours here and there signing up for DOD work. He has no more inside track to government contracting work than the guy selling hotdogs at a ball game. I found him to be a condescending lying jerk when I told him why I didn't need his services. He still called me every month for a couple years after I told him to pound sand. I never answered the phone after the first time, but he still left voice mails. He obviously did not keep good records of his previous sales calls or he would have never kept calling me.

I don't know if it's the same guy, but the yearly fee was around $1300. (There were other fees to help with getting set up with the various government sites, but those were one time fees and didn't appear to be required if you handled that yourself.) From what I understand, for the fee they handle most of the paperwork, and would handle additional processes (coatings, marking, packaging etc.) for what appeared to be a reasonable fee.

It still looks like it's more involved (in paperwork/busywork) than my typical work, and I have plenty of that right now, so I think I will pass on it for now.

I googled and found this thread about 6 months ago, likely for the same reason that you did.
Other than that - I have nothing to add as I did not pursue.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Has anyone here actually done business with Jim of JFC Company?

Just read the responses in this thread. The guy used to call himself Parts Plus, by checking that website it is the same guy. There are also plenty of threads in here about what is involved in the DOD work that is mentioned. Use the search function. I should know, I posted in them and did the same type DOD work that JFC is charging people to help get. It isn't worth the effort and definitely isn't worth paying someone to help you sign up for it. Unless you can do something most people can't like making drive shafts for air craft carriers you will be working for low hourly rates and spending ridiculous amounts of time with paperwork and packaging requirements.

Just read the responses in this thread. The guy used to call himself Parts Plus, by checking that website it is the same guy. There are also plenty of threads in here about what is involved in the DOD work that is mentioned. Use the search function. I should know, I posted in them and did the same type DOD work that JFC is charging people to help get. It isn't worth the effort and definitely isn't worth paying someone to help you sign up for it. Unless you can do something most people can't like making drive shafts for air craft carriers you will be working for low hourly rates and spending ridiculous amounts of time with paperwork and packaging requirements.

I geddit.
But I was wondering if anyone had actually done business with him? I find it strange that someone calls around and tries to scam a machine shop into doing business with them. I guess it's just another crazy aspect of this business that other professionals don't have to deal with. The whole "Pay me first before you receive work" thing is what turned me off. Ala, MFG Quote. And we all know how that story goes!

If you have ever had a conversation with this man, he is very believable.

i got tangled up with a couple of conmen once ,basically they needed a factory for credibility,which i could supply..............In some areas,generally retirement beach areas,they sold heaps of franchises,and learned as they went along.....They were both pommies ,one a black scotsman ....yes he had the right accent,just the wrong colour.......Anyway ,point is some places ,heaps of suckers.....other places ,they barely missed being tarred and feathered......One place,the car got torched,all their stuff went up,including their fake IDs.....They telegrammed me for money urgently , I ignored them ,they got arrested as vagrants and beat up by the cops.....Last I ever heard from them was a letter from England asking for their share of the money.

Why would you even consider a clown who is using a registered trademark for a nationwide auto parts distributor as his company name?
Parts Plus | Auto Parts & Accessories for all makes and all models

That "Parts Plus" is just a name poached off an auto parts chain that was killed off in the recession of 2008.
Looks like they even used their old logo, that appears to just be a directory of independent auto parts stores. I used to buy bulk items from an actual Parts Plus location, back before that same recession killed off my sales to the limousine industry.

That "Parts Plus" is just a name poached off an auto parts chain that was killed off in the recession of 2008.
Looks like they even used their old logo, that appears to just be a directory of independent auto parts stores. I used to buy bulk items from an actual Parts Plus location, back before that same recession killed off my sales to the limousine industry.

My local NAPA auto parts store says Napa parts plus outside and in, I’ve even seen a few commercials of Napa parts plus. I never knew what it was

My local NAPA auto parts store says Napa parts plus outside and in, I’ve even seen a few commercials of Napa parts plus. I never knew what it was

Parts Plus might have been west coast only, their locations were no frills and no 2 stores were alike, most lacked much signage. The one I went to So Cal was in warehouse space leased from a trucking and warehousing company. The picture of the store on the above website looks like someone did some photo shop on an Autozone store. Who knows, maybe someone bought the name, or stores were opened selling their products under their name and shuttered.

Parts Plus might have been west coast only, their locations were no frills and no 2 stores were alike, most lacked much signage. The one I went to So Cal was in warehouse space leased from a trucking and warehousing company. The picture of the store on the above website looks like someone did some photo shop on an Autozone store. Who knows, maybe someone bought the name, or stores were opened selling their products under their name and shuttered.

Hmmm, now we’re talking I’m sure it’s the same name and logo. That parts plus logo is on my Napa store. And they say on a banner hung up behind the counter “part of the parts plus network”.

I always wondered what a “parts plus network” was or did.

Strange

EDIT: it wasn’t Napa, it’s smyth auto.
It’s even on the outside of the building on google maps street view!

1899 Ross Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45212

PS: the last part I got from them was a light bulb but before that was a slave cylinder for my 2001 S2000. All the other outfits were marking it up around 100$ And it was not in stock (it’s the same part number as a 06 Honda Civic si slave I believe) even tho it’s a interchangeable part.

Parts plus had it IN STOCK for 35$! I also had a 06 civic Si at the time.

Man I miss my s2000

Hmmm, now we’re talking I’m sure it’s the same name and logo. That parts plus logo is on my Napa store. And they say on a banner hung up behind the counter “part of the parts plus network”.

I always wondered what a “parts plus network” was or did.

Strange

EDIT: it wasn’t Napa, it’s smyth auto.
It’s even on the outside of the building on google maps street view!

1899 Ross Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45212

Isn't it strange how sometimes Goggling can turn up all kinds of history and sometimes it cannot. That logo looked familiar, but the picture of the storefront did not. I have too many projects outside of running a small machine shop or I would start digging in old files of tax receipts to find invoices from a Parts Plus physical location, we are probably talking circa 2000-2008.

Isn't it strange how sometimes Goggling can turn up all kinds of history and sometimes it cannot. That logo looked familiar, but the picture of the storefront did not. I have too many projects outside of running a small machine shop or I would start digging in old files of tax receipts to find invoices from a Parts Plus physical location, we are probably talking circa 2000-2008.

That location went up when I was a kid, it actually moved from a location close by. I was born and raised in Norwood and that smyth parts plus has always been parts plus.

And I don’t expect you to look into it brother! I know what you mean, it seems the days only get shorter

That location went up when I was a kid, it actually moved from a location close by. I was born and raised in Norwood and that smyth parts plus has always been parts plus.

And I don’t expect you to look into it brother! I know what you mean, it seems the days only get shorter

I had driven by the Parts Plus location multiple times for years without even noticing it due to lack of signage and it sharing space with a trucking\warehousing company. A long deceased limo building customer told me about it as a place that would cut deals on bulk purchases that the Autozone types would not do. At the time Autozone had your choice of no tax or 10% off as their wholesale price, pretty ridiculous as I was resale anyway. I grew up in SoCal and it seems I can find history of every long gone chain of parts stores I can think of, except Parts Plus. Most all the other long gone stores were either merged or bought out and re-branded. I am guessing since the Parts Plus stores had no two alike and in odd locations they just shuttered them as they weren't attractive to buyers.

Back