What's new
What's new

Anyone have an old Armstrong Catalog?

BakoRoy

Aluminum
I started a thread in the tooling wanted section, but I thought I would ask here as well.
I am hoping that someone out there has an old(er) Armstrong catalog that came after they switched to the ##-### system, but before they discontinued their quick change tool posts.
I am hoping someone can fill in the “???” in the following list of holders for the QC-4 / 81-001 tool post that I am looking to buy:
Turning and facing tool holder 4A-QC / 81-021
Turning, facing and boring tool holder 4B-QC / 81-???
Cut-off tool holder 4D-QC / 81-???
Knurling tool holder 4E-QC / 81-???
Heavy duty boring tool holder (3/4" bar) 4G1-QC / 81-???
Drilling tool holder (3MT) 4H3-QC / 81-???
Threading tool holder 4J-QC / 81-???
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,
BakoRoy

I might be able to help

I started a thread in the tooling wanted section, but I thought I would ask here as well.
I am hoping that someone out there has an old(er) Armstrong catalog that came after they switched to the ##-### system, but before they discontinued their quick change tool posts.
I am hoping someone can fill in the “???” in the following list of holders for the QC-4 / 81-001 tool post that I am looking to buy:
Turning and facing tool holder 4A-QC / 81-021
Turning, facing and boring tool holder 4B-QC / 81-???
Cut-off tool holder 4D-QC / 81-???
Knurling tool holder 4E-QC / 81-???
Heavy duty boring tool holder (3/4" bar) 4G1-QC / 81-???
Drilling tool holder (3MT) 4H3-QC / 81-???
Threading tool holder 4J-QC / 81-???
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,
BakoRoy

I have a 1985 Armstrong catalog that shows their Aloris style tool posts and holders and uses the 81-xxx product number format. However this catalog does not list a tool post #81-001. It shows four "Gib Type Quick Change Tool Posts", numbers 81-009, 81-011, 81-013 and 81-015. These correspond to the Aloris sizes AXA, BXA, CXA and CA respectively. If you can tell me what Aloris size your tool post corresponds to, I can probably help you with the tool holder product numbers.

I just re-read your post and noticed you have a number for the turning and facing holder, 81-021, which indicates an AXA size post. If you can confirm this, I'll go ahead and dig out the numbers you want.
David

Last edited:
David,
They are the AXA or 100 size holders.
It sounds like back in 1985 Armstrong had dropped their piston type tool post for a wedge type, at least that is how I interpret "Gib Type Quick Change Tool Post", very interesting!
Thank you for your help.
BakoRoy

David,
They are the AXA or 100 size holders.
It sounds like back in 1985 Armstrong had dropped their piston type tool post for a wedge type, at least that is how I interpret "Gib Type Quick Change Tool Post", very interesting!
Thank you for your help.
BakoRoy

The illustration of the tool post in my catalog is of one with the sliding gibs. I had a hunch maybe the product number you quoted for their tool post referred to a piston type. Anyway here are the product numbers for the tool holders from my catalog:

For the AXA size tool post
Turning, facing and boring tool holder 4B-QC / 81-041
Cut-off tool holder 4D-QC / 81-081
Knurling tool holder 4E-QC / 81-101
Heavy duty boring tool holder (3/4" bar) 4G1-QC / 81-159
Threading tool holder 4J-QC / 81-121

Drilling tool holder (3MT) 4H3-QC / 81-??? This is not shown in my catalog. However one of the pages of tool holders has a blank spot about the size that would be taken up by an illustration and description of a tool holder. I know sometimes when an item is discontinued and the catalogue is re-printed, they'll just leave a blank space, avoiding a re formatting of the print job. I looked on ebay earlier today and there saw an Armstrong tool holder with a #3 Morse taper, product number on the box is 81-247. But it didn't say what size tool post it fit.
David

David,
Thank you very much for the information!
The 3MT tool holder on eBay is a 5H3-QC / 81-247 which is a BXA / 200 size.
It is hard to see if there is any real convention in Armstrong's new numbering system but it would appear that if there is only one holder of a given size it ends in "1" for the QC-4 / AXA / 100 size post. I have the larger (15/16") of the heavy duty boring tools which is 81-161 so logic might indicate that the larger (MT3) drilling holder would end in "1" as well, but I am not betting any money on it!
Again, thank you, you have lessened the mystery!
BakoRoy

David,
Thank you very much for the information!
The 3MT tool holder on eBay is a 5H3-QC / 81-247 which is a BXA / 200 size.
It is hard to see if there is any real convention in Armstrong's new numbering system but it would appear that if there is only one holder of a given size it ends in "1" for the QC-4 / AXA / 100 size post. I have the larger (15/16") of the heavy duty boring tools which is 81-161 so logic might indicate that the larger (MT3) drilling holder would end in "1" as well, but I am not betting any money on it!
Again, thank you, you have lessened the mystery!
BakoRoy

Glad to be able to help. When I started as an amateur machinist 30+ years ago and began collecting catalogs I of course never dreamed there would some day be something like the internet whereby I could share this sort of information with others.
David

I have a 1985 Armstrong catalog that shows their Aloris style tool posts and holders and uses the 81-xxx product number format. However this catalog does not list a tool post #81-001. It shows four "Gib Type Quick Change Tool Posts", numbers 81-009, 81-011, 81-013 and 81-015. These correspond to the Aloris sizes AXA, BXA, CXA and CA respectively. If you can tell me what Aloris size your tool post corresponds to, I can probably help you with the tool holder product numbers.

David

I know old post, but just wanted to add, this is still being useful to to others! I just got a box of stuff, that had a Armstrong QCTP in it, and while searching for information this post came on google, I have the 81-011 post now I know it is bxa
Thanks!

An I got a like too

I know old post, but just wanted to add, this is still being useful to to others! I just got a box of stuff, that had a Armstrong QCTP in it, and while searching for information this post came on google, I have the 81-011 post now I know it is bxa
Thanks!

Thank you very much! It's rewarding to me to hear my postings are useful, especially still some years later.

And I just noted you gave me a "Like" too!
David

Old Dave - I have similar situation with an old Armstrong Piston Style Tool Post (p/n 81-305) and a Tool Holder (p/n 81-025)

I am trying to see if the Armstrong Tool Post is compatible with CXA , CA or other Tool Holders ?
Lathe is a 13" South Bend. The Tool holder (81-025) has a 7/8" wide opening.

I would like to get some more Tool Holders - for a Cut Off and Boring Bar.
I could send pictures if needed...

Thks John @ Gearbusters

I replied to John at Gearbusters via a "conversation. For sake of completeness, the Armstrong 81-025 tool holder is equivalent to the Aloris size CXA.

Also I no longer have the Armstrong catalog but saved copies of the pages on their Aloris-like tool posts.

David

I replied to John at Gearbusters via a "conversation. For sake of completeness, the Armstrong 81-025 tool holder is equivalent to the Aloris size CXA.

Also I no longer have the Armstrong catalog but saved copies of the pages on their Aloris-like tool posts.
Thanks Dave, just what I needed to know...
John@Gearbusters

Old Dave - I have similar situation with an old Armstrong Piston Style Tool Post (p/n 81-305) and a Tool Holder (p/n 81-025)

I am trying to see if the Armstrong Tool Post is compatible with CXA , CA or other Tool Holders ?
Lathe is a 13" South Bend. The Tool holder (81-025) has a 7/8" wide opening.

I would like to get some more Tool Holders - for a Cut Off and Boring Bar.
I could send pictures if needed...

Thks John @ Gearbusters
I have several Armstrong holders that work just fine on my Aloris CXA post.

Back