What's new
What's new

Anyone help sanity check HLV wiring?

Turns out I'm dumb and was tying a 120 leg and a 240 leg together making the over current relay unhappy.

Got 240 on the brake leg thru the speed select drum now. Works great!

Looks like the armature rectifier is kaput. 0VDC at the moment. Everything else seems to work fine. Might just toss a modern solution in there and call it a day.

Got the brake working as intended.

Working on the carriage motor. It appears to kind of be a disaster in that control box. I found AC power coming into the power switch being switched to who knows what. Appears AC power should come to the switch, be switched on and follow through to ground.

Anyone have any good info on how that whole mess should be wired up?

Any good tips on tracing wires from the main cabinet when my multimeter leads are too short?

Looking at the carriage motor stuff. Only released a little magic smoke. Hopefully some of it is still in the variac.

So, got a change to get back to the HLV carriage motor. Unlike common belief this appears to be a 180vDC motor. Most seem to be 90v DC. I assume that is due to the 200v controls.

Finally got the wiring sorted out, I think, for the carriage motor controls. I'm a little iffy on the High/Low switch but I'm not really sure what that is supposed to do anyways. Doesn't seem to affect anything at the AC side of the rectifier.

The field rectifier gives me ~179v DC (just had a moment of clarity, the High/Low switch modifies the field voltage and not the armature I was checking) which seems to indicate a 180v DC motor.

The variac does vary the voltage to the armature rectifier but due to its massive size the wiper hits the wires coming into the little cabinet. I get ~0vAC to ~150vAC going to the rectifier. Also get nothing out of the rectifier at DC1 and DC2. Hopefully the much lower voltage drop on a modern rectifier will make this a non issue. I do have a spare variac that is much smaller but it is labeled as being 120v and not a 240v like I need. The current variac is some 7-6 inches in diameter and a good 4+ inches deep. It barely fits in the cabinet without wires!

I machined up a little plate for a couple new rectifiers and intend to mount a pair of new rectifiers to it and to just wire in the one for the armature until the field selenium rectifier dies and then wire in the second one that will already be mounted. I apparently do not have a 10-32 tap at my house so I have to wait until I go to work to tap the rectifier mounting holes. Hopefully wire it all in tomorrow after work.

Wish me luck!

HLV is 100% functional with 2 new rectifiers.

Biggest issue I found last night while working on it was a piece of dirt between a motor brush and the commutator.

Thank you to those who assisted me in getting this machine running again!

I've been following along on this. I lived down the road from Marcus before he moved east and helped him load out his shop. He'd really hit the wall on that lathe after doing all the mechanical work and stalled out on getting it going. I sent him the listing for the english/metric in medford and he said he didn't want it at first and I almost talked myself into buy it. I laughed an hour later when he said he'd called and was going to buy it. Lucky for you he traded up and a nice machine trickled down your way. Now you should talk him out of that dead servo bed mill because he's way farther out of his league on that than the dc rectifiers on the hardinge. Glad you got it working.

I've been following along on this. I lived down the road from Marcus before he moved east and helped him load out his shop. He'd really hit the wall on that lathe after doing all the mechanical work and stalled out on getting it going. I sent him the listing for the english/metric in medford and he said he didn't want it at first and I almost talked myself into buy it. I laughed an hour later when he said he'd called and was going to buy it. Lucky for you he traded up and a nice machine trickled down your way. Now you should talk him out of that dead servo bed mill because he's way farther out of his league on that than the dc rectifiers on the hardinge. Glad you got it working.
I was hoping to be able to help him get this one going before he found the one in Medford. The one in Medford was a dang good buy. I managed to get that all set up for the purchase and with the help of a couple others we got him all loaded up!

I am very estatic to have this old machine! It is way better than anything else I have to use at work minus the HLV-H which is is worse mechanical condition than this machine.

The biggest one on this HLV was the 200v controls. Easy to fix but very annoying. I found a very good 400v 3ph schematic around here somewhere that he didn't have in the binder (typical Marcus organization complete with printed label on the spine!) which was the key to the entire thing. There were some wiring issues on the DC motor control side would have been very difficult to figure out without having power to the machine. Mostly wires connected to wires they should not have been.

He offered up this machine after the HLV-H find. As for the servo machine, I don't have the room for it but I should make another trip to visit him, he has one of my sweatshirts that I forgot in his truck that I want back, and see if we can figure out what is going on with that servo machine.

Time to put this old machine to work!

You're a gluten for punishment making that long trip in the old nissan hardbody in the picture M2 sent me of it getting loaded.

No AC or cruise in that little pickup either! The motor swap and the long tubes were a good thing for that trip! I really like that little pickup, I've had it a long time and it is a hard worker.

The next trip probably won't be in the old hardbody but in the Audi. It eats miles better with better fuel economy.

I should harass him a bit about getting that servo machine going. I have plenty to vacation time to go over there and play with it!

Do you know if he has broke ground on the shop expansion yet?

Just picked up a beautiful HLV from a buddy. He will recognize it as he cruises through PM. Im very, very, very excited to get this thing powered up.

I plan to wire up the HLV-H style control box once I get the machine running and Im comfortable how it runs. I also have a DRO for it.

Couple bragging photos:

h9So2dch.jpg

This is the girl of my dreams

HLV is 100% functional with 2 new rectifiers.

Biggest issue I found last night while working on it was a piece of dirt between a motor brush and the commutator.

Thank you to those who assisted me in getting this machine running again!
Congrats, thanks for the updates and feedback, Cheers.

Next step on this little guy is to fix the timing gear between the English and metric dials on the tailstock. I've never had to duplicate a gear before. Should be a learning experience.

Back