What's new
What's new

Anyone Use PTC Creo Elements Direct Modeling Express?

morsetaper2

Diamond
Anyone use "PTC Creo Elements Direct Modeling Express" ? Free Version of Creo offered by PTC?

PTC - PTC Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express 6.0

If above link doesn't work, try this--> https://www.ptc.com/en/products/creo/elements-direct/modeling-express

I had been using Pro/E (then it became Creo Parametric) since the late 1990's. But I haven't looked at a CAD screen since retiring in 2021. Getting to the point now I want to have some CAD capability for making 3D part models, making drawings, and small assys for my personal projects.

Touted as a lightweight version of Creo. But watching tutorial videos of it on youtube it's definitely a different interface from the top level Creo I had been using for years, which was .prt, .asm, .drw, etc. This free version uses a file structure that is different and not compatible with the pro version. It's limited to 60 pc assys, can import .stp, igs, etc, but cannot export those formats. No rendering capability, etc. It's pretty limited compared to the pro version. It's not cloud based. You download and install to your machine. You need an internet connection and a PTC acct to install & run it.

I believe it would be sufficient for my homeshop needs. Want to model 3D parts & assy models and make 2D drawings for my own homeshop use. I'm not in business, just working on my personal home-shop projects.

Just curious if anybody uses this and your opinion of it? Was considering the free SolidEdge CAD but since I was familiar w/ Creo this seems like a good place to start for me. And I have read endless threads bashing Fusion 360 so haven't even bothered looking at that.

Last edited:
What good is a CAD program that can't export to use a 3D printer, CNC machine or interface with someone else?

It will export .stl files. But won't export .stp or .igs.

Did you read my post, and read what I need out of CAD in my homeshop? I want a CAD system to use on my personal projects. I've no need to send out .stp, igs, .dxf, etc, or share files. I have a manual lathe and a Bridgeport, no cnc. That's all I need it for. The version that is not free, that you would pay for, does have full capability.

Last edited:
Did you read my post, and read what I need out of CAD in my homeshop? I want a CAD system to use on my personal projects. I've no need to send out .stp, igs, .dxf, etc, or share files. I have a manual lathe and a Bridgeport, no cnc. That's all I need it for.
You didn't say the highlighted part. Personal projects might include using any of a dozen outsourcing services to have parts made (Xometry, Send-cut-send, etc). Maybe you tinker with cars and need some custom parts made. Maybe you want to design a new metal sign for your retirement house in the country and want to have it flame cut. I've got a 72 year old friend with at least 30 patents designing a number of new things. There are dozens of reasons to need to export DXF, IGS and STP files.

Did you read my post, and read what I need out of CAD in my homeshop? I want a CAD system to use on my personal projects. I've no need to send out .stp, igs, .dxf, etc, or share files. I have a manual lathe and a Bridgeport, no cnc. That's all I need it for. The version that is not free, that you would pay for, does have full capability.
Anyway, back to the topic... if you have any real experience w/ "PTC Creo Elements Direct Modeling Express" I'd appreciate any feedback. Thx.

Did you read my post, and read what I need out of CAD in my homeshop? I want a CAD system to use on my personal projects. I've no need to send out .stp, igs, .dxf, etc, or share files. I have a manual lathe and a Bridgeport, no cnc. That's all I need it for. The version thathe format for export is not free, that you would pay for, does have full capability.
For exporting you'll just go into "Save as - Save a Copy:"command and choose the format you need.Even PDF format - great for mail.Different types of pictures formats tiff,jpeg,.....And standards like step or igs,dwg,-stl,vrml for 3D printer,all types of different formats of applications.

For exporting you'll just go into "Save as - Save a Copy:"command and choose the format you need.Even PDF format - great for mail.Different types of pictures formats tiff,jpeg,.....And standards like step or igs,dwg,-stl,vrml for 3D printer,all types of different formats of applications.

Hey morsetaper2, I'm using Creo Elements Direct Modeling Express. I have been around since before CAD and could bore you with the evolution of that s/w. I used to be a beta tester for that code long before (decades) it was a PTC product. The free version doesn't seem to have the save/as command as mentioned above. Have you found a work-around to get a legit 2D file out of Creo/Express? I'm trying to generate a clean 2D file that I can send to a laser cutter. So far, not much luck. Seems to be only raster images. My guess is I'll need to develop some skills in Adobe Illustrator but that's a steep learning curve.

I was at HP back then, and we ran HP gear for everything. One of the perks was that we could order any hot rod workstation and get it for transfer cost from the division that built it. I managed about 20 HP-UX workstations doing CAD support until it became a full time job and we hired someone who actually knew what he was doing.

Back