What's new
What's new

Anyone want to buy this damn okuma genos off me?

doug925

Titanium
Rant on:

I am OVER Okuma and the STUPID @#%^!#@*&^* code & restrictive (and never correct) naming parameters!!!!!
I am going to sell this NON FANUC:angry: language POS. It sits most of the time, not making me any money.
Haas can expect a call soon.
At least the control is easy, and every machinist knows the G-code is standard.

Machinists in Houston (or the many I have interviewed) don't know and do not WANT TO KNOW how to speak Okuma code.
:angry:
Fanuc is just too common.
Rant off!

What's different about Okuma? It's funny that Haas uses Okuma at the factory for specific work cells. I'm curious what's so difficult. I'm not challenging you. I've never had an opportunity to touch one outside a trade show.

What's different about Okuma? It's funny that Haas uses Okuma at the factory for specific work cells. I'm curious what's so difficult. I'm not challenging you. I've never had an opportunity to touch one outside a trade show.
Look up there G-codes, I've never ran one, but in looking at getting a 5 axis past couple years.
Their code is goofy fo sho!

Actually this is the number one thing that has kept me from buying a Genos VMC.
Are their any other MTB's that do similar crap, So I am at least aware!

The code is just different enough to confuse everyone else who touches the machine.
Ask yourself these simple Fanuc based G-codes.
G80
G81
G83
G84
G76
G04 'P' ??
G02/02 using R
The above are all standard Fanuc g-code.
Not on an OKUMA!
Not even close.
They have to be cool, different, and USELESS in Houston.

Fanuc, from now until I die!

I drank the Okuma / Genos Kool-aid, as the control is really powerful.
The problem is NOBODY wants to use the machine. Even after I train people on it.

Have a programming question? Great.... Call one of the application guys and wait 3-4 days until they decide to call you back.
F!%^ that!
No more Hartwig / Okuma. Ever.

Yeah I was liking the Genos bridge style, and the low up front cost, but the code , and what are the parts prices, that kept me away.
For a bridge style I was looking more at the DN Solution BVM5700

Look up there G-codes, I've never ran one, but in looking at getting a 5 axis past couple years.
Their code is goofy fo sho!
Changing the code numbers doesn't bother me. It would be nice if they matched but, okay.

After we had the land war over TNC in Fanuc canned cycles, I started looking into Yasnac methods and considered flipping that switch on my Haas. It turned out that Yasnac deals with offsets differently and a host of other changes that I didn't want to mess with so I left it alone. I'm sure Yasnac believed their methods were better for some reason or another.

Is Okuma similarly different in actual handling of operations? Like tapping cycles can't be done in a single line? Or work offsets that are non-modal?

Hallelujah, I've eventually found like minded people regarding the Okuma controls stupidity. Fortunately it's been a really long time since I've had to run one. Having never run one before you can imagine the feeling when I saw tool length code of G54 being posted. Interestingly the machine ran the same code 20% slower than the Makino A55, this is for programs running through the night. The company has re-placed both Okuma's with Makino's.

I will say that the older machines where built like a brick shit house. A fellow toolmaker who will remain nameless changed out a 50mm face mill from a short to a long holder and forgot to change the tool length. The whole building shook when it hit the die block being machined but that thing never missed a beat.

Okuma builds solid, nice machines. And they build everything: the control, the drives, servos, encoders...

You're captive to them, that's for sure!

Okuma is one of the only "mainstream" brands (besides Haas and Fanuc?) that builds their own electronics...it does demonstrate a broad machine tool competency

ToolCat

Isn't Haas a Yaskawa around electronics under the skin
I believe you are correct for the servo and spindle motors themselves. But, Haas does build their own control, and possibly spindle/servo drives?

Being chained to one company for all support on a CNC machine can be limiting...and expensive!

ToolCat

Reactions: ???
I believe you are correct for the servo and spindle motors themselves. But, Haas does build their own control, and possibly spindle/servo drives?

Being chained to one company for all support on a CNC machine can be limiting...and expensive!

ToolCat
When the Okuma rep. said that the Genos was built from the same components as the higher end lines, and that they made everything, So no finger pointing.
I was like, is that a pro or con comment.
So the parts are the same expensive parts as the higher end lines, and I can only buy proprietary parts from you, you control cost and availability.:scratchchin:
The control and g-code being in Clingon was just the cherry on top.
I was like no thanks Apple. :D

Last edited:
Ran an Okuma with an OSP control years ago, it took a while to get to the code differences down but once I did, it was pretty simple, but I can see how it can be a pain for someone to come run one that has no clue!

Rant on:

I am OVER Okuma and the STUPID @#%^!#@*&^* code & restrictive (and never correct) naming parameters!!!!!
I am going to sell this NON FANUC:angry: language POS. It sits most of the time, not making me any money.

Machinists in Houston (or the many I have interviewed) don't know and do not WANT TO KNOW how to speak Okuma code.
Rant off!
Really?
I've found Okuma's cycles to be superior to Fanuc and Haas, and I've programmed almost all of them.
Seems to me some folk are scared of stuff rather than curious.
I've found the LAP/MAP cycles to be not that different and the UserTask1/2/3 to be not too difficult.
Gee, wish I had a few $$, I'd take 'er off your hands.

Rant on:

Rant off!
What kind of Genos is it, lathe or VMC?

Back