What's new
What's new

Anyone want to buy this damn okuma genos off me?

Rant on:

I am OVER Okuma and the STUPID @#%^!#@*&^* code & restrictive (and never correct) naming parameters!!!!!
I am going to sell this NON FANUC:angry: language POS. It sits most of the time, not making me any money.
Haas can expect a call soon.
At least the control is easy, and every machinist knows the G-code is standard.

Machinists in Houston (or the many I have interviewed) don't know and do not WANT TO KNOW how to speak Okuma code.
:angry:
Fanuc is just too common.
Rant off!
Genos appears to be a VMC
I'll drag it out of your way for nothing.

Rant on:

I am OVER Okuma and the STUPID @#%^!#@*&^* code & restrictive (and never correct) naming parameters!!!!!
I am going to sell this NON FANUC:angry: language POS. It sits most of the time, not making me any money.
Haas can expect a call soon.
At least the control is easy, and every machinist knows the G-code is standard.

Machinists in Houston (or the many I have interviewed) don't know and do not WANT TO KNOW how to speak Okuma code.
:angry:
Fanuc is just too common.
Rant off!
Seriously.. which model do you have?
Mark

I thought Okuma was nothing but all aces.
I suppose there is an entry level Cadillac...
No, I've never even seen one, but my feel for their reputation is they are second to none... I dunno...
Genos is Okuma's answer to people who say they make really nice stuff that costs too much. Genos machines are engineered in Japan and made in Taiwan by Tatung-Okuma.

I thought Okuma was nothing but all aces.
I suppose there is an entry level Cadillac...
No, I've never even seen one, but my feel for their reputation is they are second to none... I dunno...
Many years ago, I owned a Cadillac DTS, never would I buy a Cadillac again! I did buy it a few years used, had like 20k miles but it had nothing but problems. I took a loss on it just to get rid of it.

The final straw was the rear shocks went out and the dealership quoted me $6k to replace them, air ride blah blah, went to a non dealer and they were at $4k, I ended up finding a front end totaled at a junk yard, pulled the shocks and got them for $600 and did it myself and sold it.

I did also have a 64' Cadillac Deville, that was far more reliable than the above mentioned!

The code is just different enough to confuse everyone else who touches the machine.
Ask yourself these simple Fanuc based G-codes.
G80
G81
G83
G84
G76
G04 'P' ??
G02/02 using R
The above are all standard Fanuc g-code.
Not on an OKUMA!
Not even close.
They have to be cool, different, and USELESS in Houston.

Fanuc, from now until I die!

I drank the Okuma / Genos Kool-aid, as the control is really powerful.
The problem is NOBODY wants to use the machine. Even after I train people on it.

Have a programming question? Great.... Call one of the application guys and wait 3-4 days until they decide to call you back.
F!%^ that!
No more Hartwig / Okuma. Ever.
I had one, my shop was a beta site for the Gibbs post processor. My machine was excellent and since almost everything was programmed using Gibbscam in my office, none of us ever had any difficulty making chips, parts and money.

Back