What's new
What's new

Are Bridgeport power feeds worth the effort to repair vs. the modern imports?

Brooklyyyn

Plastic
Started taking apart my janky Bridgeport power feed. If you take away the nostalgia/aesthetic of having a working OEM bridgeport power feed, are these units even worthwhile to try to repair when you can land an import power feed for less than $150 (quality control issues aside)?

I started taking mine apart to fix the various issues, at minimum I have to replace the spring that engages the gears, havent even tapped into the electronics yet but given that my motor sometimes works sometimes doesn't, or needs the lead screw to be manually turned before it will starts moving there is for sure going to be something going on in there that needs cleaning/fixing. But is all this worth the effort, do these units perform any better than the import stuff these days?

Is there any market for semi functional BP power feeds that need some love or are they just scrap metal?

Lastly, would I need some kind of modification of the lead screw to make the swap from one power feed to the other?

IMO, to fix or replace has less to do with what type it is and more to do with how you want to spend your time, as well as if you can buy parts (quality reputable brand) or are OK making your own. Power feeds are typically simple so "if it works it works". I like the older units as I'd rather troubleshoot and maintain a mechanical unit than potentially have an obsolete circuit board to deal with.

The 6F and 8F models are pretty good.
There is an old one, with Norton QC box type of affair.
Those work but they are very heavy.
On the 6F and 8F, the drive board is just a DC SCR chopper
drive board. Get any generic one from Minarik or match one
up from Amazon by the specs. The relays flip the polarity
for fwd and rev, and even those can be replaced with
generic relays of similar specs.
All is easy to repair, unless the motor burns out, and if the
fuse blows first, that is not likely.

-Doozer

If you must replace the table drive, may I recommend
the Servo Dynamo brand. It is the import Servo brand
drive, and it is better than the original Servo. It has
a magnetic clutch rather than the finger dog clutches.
You know how if you shift from fwd to rev too fast on
the original Servo drives, the clutch will grind?
The new Dynamo will not do that. Way better.

-Doozer

The 6F and 8F models are pretty good.
There is an old one, with Norton QC box type of affair.
Those work but they are very heavy.
On the 6F and 8F, the drive board is just a DC SCR chopper
drive board. Get any generic one from Minarik or match one
up from Amazon by the specs. The relays flip the polarity
for fwd and rev, and even those can be replaced with
generic relays of similar specs.
All is easy to repair, unless the motor burns out, and if the
fuse blows first, that is not likely.

-Doozer
would replacing the motor brushes be a relatively easy task if I was able to source the compatible parts?

Sounds like brushes? In any case, I'd not go for the cheapie. Align makes a good product.
Are motor brushes a relatively easy task to replace? (have no experience fiddling with motors like that yet). Turns out to put on one of the modern day servo type units I would need to replace the entire screw, or get an additional kit with a shaft extension that is compatible with that new unit. Really driving up the price for what I initially thought would be a quick and easy swap.

Brush replacement on most quality motors is very easy. Exact replacement brushes may not be available but one can usually find something close that only needs a bit of shaping/sizing to work. I've no experience with the motor you have, I suggested brushes as a likely cause of the symptoms you described.

Since Doozer brought it up... if the motor has brush caps the replacement will be easy but... don't overtighten the caps when you put them back! They're made from a very brittle thermoset plastic and will come apart easily with too much twist on the screwdriver.
How many switch plates and outlet plates have you need
screwed down to oblivion ? People will not learn unless
they break things. Then hopefully it costs them dearly to
fix it. If you don't know what things are fragile yet in life,
you got to learn the hard way. Some people were never
meant to own tea cups. If you did not notice how tight
the brush caps were initially when taking them off, or
just are to blind to realize that they are made of thin plastic,
then there may be no helping some people.

-D

Back