What's new
What's new

Are trains coming back?

dcsipo

Diamond
Well, it looks like we will be running out of truckers in the next 15 to 20 years. Maybe trains are the answer. But that requires more investment.

I know some of you dislike this dude, but he seems to make a lot of sense at times. He firmly believes that in the next 10 years US manufacturing will double, and he bases his theories on the current trends toward de-globalization. He mentions no trains, hence the question, Whaddaya think?

We have a main line (2ks) directly behind our building and it is VERY busy lately.

My bosses family is old timey train folks. The word is that there was a recent union contract signed by the numerous unions representing the rank and file.
It used to limit the length and crew for a normal train run. The trains out here are MUCH longer and more numerous of late.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
I think there has been a big push by legislators in my neck of the woods, for better passenger rail access. In the past 8 years Amtrak has added two passenger trains that stop in town, and there is always talk about extending the line that connects to Boston.

I've not yet noticed an increase in freight traffic recently, but I love hearing them roll through town.

I think there has been a big push by legislators in my neck of the woods, for better passenger rail access. In the past 8 years Amtrak has added two passenger trains that stop in town, and there is always talk about extending the line that connects to Boston.

I've not yet noticed an increase in freight traffic recently, but I love hearing them roll through town.
Trains make a lot of sense where large volumes move. just like a truckload of hard drives beat any high-speed network, a train beats any truck, assuming both keep moving , and a ship beats a train as far as pounds carried in a unit of time. I think in order to make US-based manufacturing work, trains will have to be in the mix, In the EU you hardly ever see car trucks, but plenty of car trains. They do a lot more logistics on trains.

Hook up a couple passenger cars as well with decent ticket prices and both sides of the "political" spectrum get benefits.

There are numerous rail lines in my neck of the woods. Like too many. Anyway, a bunch that use to run to the old paper mills and small towns are abandoned but still under the ownership of the rail. That is their real estate. They refuse to sell. I would force all the rail lines to be up to code for the benefit of moving goods, people, and for our defense. If they were all up and running it would provide jobs at smaller stops for loading purposes and all shipping prices to be reduced even.

Any of you who watched the movie "Logan" (wolverine) know how they were showing the great idea of driverless semi trucks lol

The US actually ships a huge amount of cargo via rail, 3rd in the world for tons-mile behind China and Russia. 44% of freight is shipped via rail in the US. Way higher than most european countries.

Anecdotally, the rail line that goes past my plant has seen a huge uptick in usage in the last couple of years. Mostly oil and plastic.

Railroads have been pushing hard to go out of business. The railcar fleet is aging out. They alienated all the little guy shippers. They abandoned as much mainline track as possible and pulled up a lot of the industrial tack as well. They want unit trains and intermodal.

Genneerrly speaking as being a fellow who has a friend who used to work for the railroad, an uncle who used to run a steam engine hauling coal in Kentucky, and accustomed to having sharpened RR track flat drills I can firmly say that if you see a train go past, and then it comes back it is very likely returning/coming back.
*Really I think truck trailers will go the long haul on RR, and the short haul behind a tractor.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like we will be running out of truckers in the next 15 to 20 years. Maybe trains are the answer. But that requires more investment.

I know some of you dislike this dude, but he seems to make a lot of sense at times. He firmly believes that in the next 10 years US manufacturing will double, and he bases his theories on the current trends toward de-globalization. He mentions no trains, hence the question, Whaddaya think?

Wha'doo I think?

I think that US manufacturing is in process of CONTRACTING, not expanding!

Gunna need to find workers before we can even git back to where we was 2 years ago!

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Simple reason for running out of truckers here is the insane penalties for the smallest mistake in paperwork,or even for taking a wrong turn .....and every penalty is slapped on the driver..........the truck owner is the beneficiary of a 5 ton overload ,the driver is the one caught by the transport cops.

Wha'doo I think?

I think that US manufacturing is in process of CONTRACTING, not expanding!

Gunna need to find workers before we can even git back to where we was 2 years ago!

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
this is what peter thinks about that one :)

What is coming is self driving trucks. First convoys with one human driver followed by 3-4 self driving trucks then totally anonymous trucks. This will be big time competition for trains.

What is coming is self driving trucks. First convoys with one human driver followed by 3-4 self driving trucks then totally anonymous trucks. This will be big time competition for trains.
You're assuming that the competition between railroad and trucking boils down to the driver and his/her associated cost ...
I'm pretty sure it's not.

Last edited:
The railway is the old story of the entrenched union interest versus the independant operator. ....and the ability of the monopoly railway to promote ever more extreme union demands.

Reactions: Ox

Back