What's new
What's new

Are trains coming back?

The two largest railroad unions are set to possibly strike this Friday. The Class One railroads have already began preparations for a shutdown.

The unions are not holding out for money, as with the proposed raises a Class One railroad worker will make $100k+ per year, plus another 50 in benefits. The workers are pissed because the railroads have been working them to death!

The Class One's laid off about 30% of their workforce over the last decade, and largely haven't replaced them, even though business is at record levels.

A protracted rail strike would be a rough blow to the economy. Especially the grain industry, which depends on the railroads to move most of the harvest. The miners can pile coal on the ground, but the farmers only have so much silo space...

ToolCat

The two largest railroad unions are set to possibly strike this Friday. The Class One railroads have already began preparations for a shutdown.

The unions are not holding out for money, as with the proposed raises a Class One railroad worker will make $100k+ per year, plus another 50 in benefits. The workers are pissed because the railroads have been working them to death!

The Class One's laid off about 30% of their workforce over the last decade, and largely haven't replaced them, even though business is at record levels.

A protracted rail strike would be a rough blow to the economy. Especially the grain industry, which depends on the railroads to move most of the harvest. The miners can pile coal on the ground, but the farmers only have so much silo space...

ToolCat
Railway Labor Act.....Can the unions even strike---legally?

ToolCat
No worries, you'll see the Prez (the one all the unions voted for) Spring into action.
Decisive action......:popcorn:

Last edited:
Since the Hedge Funds bought em all, there are now only FIVE class one railroads left in the USA. In 1980, there were 40.
And all five of em have been shutting down routes, selling yards for the real estate value, and running fewer loads than they used to.
They have this thing called PSR, which is basically just in time scheduling, which means there are always shortages and delays.
The Hedge Funds are making more money, by cutting staff, unprofitable routes, and raising prices, but it means LESS trains going less places, and lots of places that used to have rail service dont anymore.

You're assuming that the competition between railroad and trucking boils down to the driver and his/her associated cost ...
I'm pretty sure it's not
The competition comes down to price and time. Much of what goes on a train except bulk items like coal, oil, ore, etc. gets to the train by truck and when the train reaches the end of the line, gets back on a truck for delivery to its final destination. With no driver to pay, the cost difference from using a truck all the way narrows considerably.

When the railways had a monopoly,it was a story of delay,damage ,and theft.,with no compensation............even in the 70s ,you had to have a permit to drive a good s carrying truck more than 40 miles........permit issued by the Comissioner for Railways.............and you can be sure the bad old days are just around the corner if the railways ever get a monopoly again.

Since the Hedge Funds bought em all, there are now only FIVE class one railroads left in the USA. In 1980, there were 40.
And all five of em have been shutting down routes, selling yards for the real estate value, and running fewer loads than they used to.
They have this thing called PSR, which is basically just in time scheduling, which means there are always shortages and delays.
The Hedge Funds are making more money, by cutting staff, unprofitable routes, and raising prices, but it means LESS trains going less places, and lots of places that used to have rail service dont anymore.
Rail volume has stayed pretty much constant for the last 20 years.
1663238365840.png

It does seem like they are moving more bulk goods rather than finished products, and going more towards unit trains. That makes sense though as a truck is going to be more efficient at small loads while a train will be more efficient at large bulk goods.

No strike.
The White House issued a statement that the unions and railway management have settled thier differences.
The news source terms this a victory for Joe Biden and the American people.

I know little about US railways.....but in videos I do see whole trains carrying truck trailers.........and they seem to be as common as the special trains that carry two high container loading.....not much freight in the old boxcars.

No strike.
The White House issued a statement that the unions and railway management have settled thier differences.
The news source terms this a victory for Joe Biden and the American people.
I would tend to agree on both counts
It is an unending mystery why really both sides need to push everything, every argument, every rule, to the absolute end.
I have read here about some of the issues with the railroad and workers.
Why? Why purposefully make jobs miserable. What for that tiny percentage?

As an example unrelated to railroads, Home Depot changed workers schedules every week. Days nights sundays, you did not know until the schedule came out. And they did it on purpose. So you couldn't work another job. They apparently had a software program to handle it.
The other side, why make everything a fight to get your job done. Back when I worked for other people I was as shiftless as the next guy, but you always want to do your job

American's past and the romance with railroad trains...

Dealin' card games with the old men in the club car
Penny a point ain't no one keepin' score
Pass the paper bag that holds the bottle
Feel the wheels rumblin' 'neath the floor
And the sons of pullman porters
And the sons of engineers
Ride their father's magic carpets made of steel
Mothers with their babes asleep
Are rockin' to the gentle beat
And the rhythm of the rails is all they feel

Most attribute the song to Arlo Guthrie, but this gem of a song was by Steve Goodman...

Getting the east to west coast transport and vv through the panamacanal also might help
It seems regulations forbid that

Peter
You need to read this book:

The competition comes down to price and time. Much of what goes on a train except bulk items like coal, oil, ore, etc. gets to the train by truck and when the train reaches the end of the line, gets back on a truck for delivery to its final destination. With no driver to pay, the cost difference from using a truck all the way narrows considerably.
That is a bad network and bad logistics. In the EU only the last few miles are served by trucks. Every town has a railway distribution center. The question is would the US change the model?

That is a bad network and bad logistics. In the EU only the last few miles are served by trucks. Every town has a railway distribution center. The question is would the US change the model?
Doo you want the goobermint to get involved and start running the railroads ?

Our Gov't is taking some credit for settling the dispute between the railroad unions and management pointing to wage and benefit increases as high as 24%(?) as well as changes in working schedules and lump sum payment each year.
So....in the coming months will we see increased shipping rates via rail? (I'd say yes indeed) Or, will the owners reduce freight traveling by rail to trucks and make cutbacks in workforce and equipment? (I'd say yes indeed)
As always--When 'gooberment' gets involved hold on to your wallet.

Not sure why you think the government should be any more involved than the current or updated regulations. I could see. a public-private partnership to expand the network, but not much beyond that. A train crew can run a 3-mile-long train with 300 cars double stacked. That is like 600 trucks. I am pretty sure the cost of container mile is lower on the trains.

Last edited:
300 car, dbl stacked train?
You've witnessed this?

Seems reckless to me?

You could have 3 sepparate trains rolling along 10 minutes behind the other safer.
Not like one engine is gunna pull all that alone.
Not saving much/anything.

???

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

300 car, dbl stacked train?
You've witnessed this?

Seems reckless to me?

You could have 3 sepparate trains rolling along 10 minutes behind the other safer.
Not like one engine is gunna pull all that alone.
Not saving much/anything.

???

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
No, but heard of 3-mile trains :)..a rail car is 53 feet long.
  • United States Union Pacific, United States. Run from 8–10 January 2010, consisting of 296 container cars and hauled by nine diesel-electric locomotives spread through the train with a total length of 18,000 feet (3.4 mi; 5.5 km), from a terminal in Texas to Los Angeles. Around 618 double-stacked containers were carried at speeds up to 70 mph/112 km/h. 14,059 t.[35][36]
Typical trains will be less than half of that,

Last edited:

Back