What's new
What's new

Armstrong tool holder in quick change tool holder

skipd1

Cast Iron
I noticed in a recent Abom79 YouTube video that Adam was using a Armstrong straight shank tool holder that held 1/2 inch tooling in a quick change tool holder. It seems quite convenient to be able to change out cutting tools on the fly. Has anyone modified a tool holder like that for their use?
I am thinking of adapting this for a CXA tool holder.

I noticed in a recent Abom79 YouTube video that Adam was using a Armstrong straight shank tool holder that held 1/2 inch tooling in a quick change tool holder. It seems quite convenient to be able to change out cutting tools on the fly. Has anyone modified a tool holder like that for their use?
I am thinking of adapting this for a CXA tool holder.
;If you do decide to make a mod like this, be aware there are two types of forged holders... One type holds the cutter at an incline, the other straight... The former is for hi speed tooling, the latter for brazed carbides.. Do not make the mistake I made almost 50 years ago... Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

"Has anyone modified a tool holder like that for their use?"

I could not see in the video that the forged holder or the Swiss-style 40 position QC holder were modified. I do have some German forged holders for threading tools that have been milled down on the top or bottom to fit some unknown smaller capacity tool holder, either lantern style or QC.

Larry

I haven't seen any videos or posts regarding this modification either. I may post what I will do to make this tool holder work for my lathe

I finished modifying the Armstrong straight shank tool holder and a CXA quick change tool holder. There was quite a bit of material to remove to get it ready to fit the CXA holder. I had to enlarge the slot in the CXA holder to about 1-1/8 inches and make the corresponding shank to size. The holder works great and allows me to change quickly any 1/2 inch shank tool in the holder on the fly.

IMG_2913.jpgIMG_2917.jpgIMG_2919.jpgIMG_2920.jpg

Hello All: I think the mod that Abom uses is used in a multifix unit.. He probably didn't have to remove much of the forged tool holder, if any, to use it in his system.....Happy Fourth from Louisiana.. Ramsay 1:)

That's an aloris type holder. If he wanted to do a really nice job he could manufacture a long tall cylinder with a broached hole crosswised in it, a setscrew in the top, and some hard steel bits at the bottom. Size it right and it's a perfect adaptor to mount the tool holder (no modifation needed) directly to the compound slide on tne lathe!

Back