What's new
What's new

Ask me anything IT related

Yeah, you are understanding correctly. Not totally sure on MSATA and NVME being on the same motherboard though, that would be unusual. Look up a MSATA picture and compare to what you have.

If it just a standard SATA connection you will get a 6GB/S connection, which is more than enough for a SSD.

You may very well be correct. I'm not the IT professional. :) That said, I was going by one of the interface adapters I have for a different laptop. So I am sure you are correct. This is from an Alienware 17. So, I will need to adapt the MX300 SSD to a SATA interface. Trivial, but different. I actually tried dealing with a local small business for this just now and they managed to turn a simple purchase into a complete Charlie Foxtrot, so Amazon here I come...

Thanks.

You may very well be correct. I'm not the IT professional. :) That said, I was going by one of the interface adapters I have for a different laptop. So I am sure you are correct. This is from an Alienware 17. So, I will need to adapt the MX300 SSD to a SATA interface. Trivial, but different. I actually tried dealing with a local small business for this just now and they managed to turn a simple purchase into a complete Charlie Foxtrot, so Amazon here I come...

Thanks.

Yeah MX300 SSD is going to be either standard sata interface (directly compatible with the 7200rpm)or for M.2(adapter needed). I actually have 5 such m.2 adapters sitting here on my desk ha. MSATA died off pretty quickly and everyone went into M.2 for simplicity's sake.

I haven't followed this thread, so please forgive me if it has been mentioned already:

Once upon a time, I had a tower with 7 on it.
It was a good 'putor. I liked 7.

But then M/S wanted to "upgrade" me to 8.
I liked 7. I was comfy with 7. I doo not find excitement in having to learn a new 'putor format.
I refused.

M/S was kind'a pushy on the subject...
I kind'a pushed back.

One day M/S got tired of beatin' around the bush, and just did what they felt was best, and then I had 8.

Rinse/Repeat, and one day I came in the office and found it updating to "10".

:ack2:

Hey, this pisses me off, but at least I am OK with 10, except I haven't had my Chess Titans on board since 7. I lost them. However I have been able to reload them off the web a few times since then with good luck.

However - the real trouble is to come:

M/S keeps wanting to force more "updates" on me, and of course - I refuse as long as I have the option to...
(That's not really true, I am willing to let it update and shut down overnight)

But at least the last 3, and maybe 4 times that they have tried to update it, I come in in the morning to find the tower froze, and it's not that cold in here... I told my kid that I hafta unplug the tower and plug it back in 2-3 times to get it to clear (his eyes like to bug out of his head when I said that) and then it tucks tail and decides to go back to "original" or previous settings.

Only to try aggin next month!

I mentioned my distaste to my kid last month, and he thought that he switched it so that it wouldn't auto update anymore, but I got forced into it again this week, and it locked up pretty darned tight. Things weren't looking promising for a recovery for a while, and I don't think that I'm back 100% quite yet, but .... ???

So my kid was here last night working on The Money Pit's 'putor, and I told him that my office tower "Updated" even tho he [thought that he] told it not to. So now he is thinking that somewhere between 7 and 10 (likely 8 he thinks?) we may have actually lost the ability to turn that option off. He says that he is still running 7 and has his turned off.

A) Is there some way to not allow updates on 10?

B) I am looking for a safe download for Chess Titans again, and the ones that pop up currently don't look real safe.
I really like Titans, and I find this interesting, but when I reload it - all my history is there. So ...

My kid is a "putor programmer by trade, but he is the first to say that "Programming and IT are not the same."

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

My kid is a "putor programmer by trade, but he is the first to say that "Programming and IT are not the same."
..and even then, "Admin" is a sub-set.

No consolation that a Mac is almost as intrusive, but at least very, very rarely breaks its own bones.

Stability? Linux has some. But it is an edge-case niche, really. Mainstream has to be kept up, and often, if only for userland.

Can't recommend OpenBSD for YOU. But it surely makes MY life simpler and easier. Your Son will know the why of that, whether even he can make use of it or no.

In retirement I no longer get to bill a thousand Euro a day, portal to portal at FX rates 20-odd years gone for dealing with this s**t.

So I just don't. I do not HAVE to do.

I haven't followed this thread, so please forgive me if it has been mentioned already:

Once upon a time, I had a tower with 7 on it.
It was a good 'putor. I liked 7.

But then M/S wanted to "upgrade" me to 8.
I liked 7. I was comfy with 7. I doo not find excitement in having to learn a new 'putor format.
I refused.

M/S was kind'a pushy on the subject...
I kind'a pushed back.

One day M/S got tired of beatin' around the bush, and just did what they felt was best, and then I had 8.

Rinse/Repeat, and one day I came in the office and found it updating to "10".

:ack2:

Hey, this pisses me off, but at least I am OK with 10, except I haven't had my Chess Titans on board since 7. I lost them. However I have been able to reload them off the web a few times since then with good luck.

However - the real trouble is to come:

M/S keeps wanting to force more "updates" on me, and of course - I refuse as long as I have the option to...
(That's not really true, I am willing to let it update and shut down overnight)

But at least the last 3, and maybe 4 times that they have tried to update it, I come in in the morning to find the tower froze, and it's not that cold in here... I told my kid that I hafta unplug the tower and plug it back in 2-3 times to get it to clear (his eyes like to bug out of his head when I said that) and then it tucks tail and decides to go back to "original" or previous settings.

Only to try aggin next month!

I mentioned my distaste to my kid last month, and he thought that he switched it so that it wouldn't auto update anymore, but I got forced into it again this week, and it locked up pretty darned tight. Things weren't looking promising for a recovery for a while, and I don't think that I'm back 100% quite yet, but .... ???

So my kid was here last night working on The Money Pit's 'putor, and I told him that my office tower "Updated" even tho he [thought that he] told it not to. So now he is thinking that somewhere between 7 and 10 (likely 8 he thinks?) we may have actually lost the ability to turn that option off. He says that he is still running 7 and has his turned off.

A) Is there some way to not allow updates on 10?

B) I am looking for a safe download for Chess Titans again, and the ones that pop up currently don't look real safe.
I really like Titans, and I find this interesting, but when I reload it - all my history is there. So ...

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have to admit I'm not familiar with chess titans but ill see if i can dig anything up.

In regard to the updates, just click your start button and type services.msc open the Services desktop app that comes up

this will bring up a list of all available services. there will be one called Windows Update (or possible Microsoft Update) it will likely be set to Running and "Automatic" right click on it and change it to "disabled" as well as stopping it. This will stop all updates. Not entirely recommended but i know what you mean, they have been forcing these huge updates. While they do fix somethings, they take absolutely forever and more often than not break something.

You don't play 'putor chess? :skep:

OK, well I got that update listing changed.
Maybe he miss clicked on that? It was set to Manual.
I'm not following that....

OK, well this fiasco has messed up my printer stuff and shut down/reboot too.

I know that I printed some stuff out that evening after the "update fiasco". Same item a cpl of times at least. But then before going home that night I needed to print off a page of assembly directions and a UPS label.

I clicked which printer and then PRINT, and then it ... didn't.
Tried again - and the printer library was gone - and only gave me the option to save as PDF. (Never knew that I even had that option before)

Reboot and the printer library comes back up, but it refused to print again, and then the library was gone again.
I mailed my doc to Mamma, and she printed out at home for me.

The first night after the "update" I set it to shut down and I walked out the door, only to find it up and running when I came in the next morning. (I didn't stick around to watch it shut down)

That night I pulled the plug.

It seemed like maybe it was a little clearer in the head yesterday. ???
Not sure that I printed yesterday? Or if I did, I don't recall any specifics.

I did a simple "shut down" last night. All seemed OK, except I keep getting this thing about needing to close one "app" before shutting down. But I didn't have anything open, and I can't make out what this "app" is that it thinks that it needs to close first. (This has been the case ever since the eppisode, not new this day)

Came in the morning and fired it up, and it came up with this site and my e-mail open already. ??? Those were not open when I closed it down!

I printed out a part print this AM fine, but now to go back to the printer again - I get no library again.

Did I mention that I hate updates?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yeah I've noticed this update has knocked out printers. I had 2 Zebra Label printers at a site on west coast (always fun to try to fix from a few thousand miles away) that after this update would take print jobs, say they were completed, and nothing at all would come out. Uninstalling deleting anything zebra related and reinstalling did solve it. pain to redo the media size and calibrations, but at this point all is well again.

Honestly best way to start is to uninstall said printers, delete driver files, and reinstall the printer. It may very well be that easy, or it may be a rabbit hole to hell.

As long as you have that service set to disabled you should be good on updates. Manual can still be start and stopped by the OS, it just wont start immediately at boot.

You don't play 'putor chess? :skep:
Not I.

I DO run what are called "developer snapshots" instead of "gold" releases the last 40-50 years, CP/M onward.

That's more like Russian Roulette, but not as permanent, as I can of recent years back them out in about five wallclock minutes. My entire OS is smaller than just about anything WinDoze ships as a minor application. About a one-third load on an old-style CD, (~ 9minute install) or under five wallclock minute install off a camera flash card.

Doesn't have to carry the software equivalent of a major hospital and road-repair krew with it as Microsoft needs. *BSD Unix wasn't all that sick or potholed to begin with.

Updates? Simple text from a Command line:

pkg_add -u

But YOU... need a Windows "expert".

Where "x" represents the unknown - and "spurt" any drip, however insignificant, so long as placed under sufficient pressure.

:D

I am gaining...

I got my Win 7 games reloaded.
Get Windows 7 games for Windows 1

And I am gaining on my browser - trying to find some amount of normalcy there, but my "favorites" bar is not what it once was. My drop down list is gone - in favor of some links accrost the top.

Doo you know if this was part of the update as well?
Or maybe some BS I picked up while trying to reload my games? (still - resulting from an unwanted and incomplete update!)

Right clicking on my screen does not get me the control that I am used to anymore.

Edit:

I guess I simply lost all my "favorites" list, and need to rebuild it.
Was not familiar with the look with it not there.
I think that I may have lost some of my contact info (web addresses only) for some of y'all's shops... :bawling:

My printer(s) have acted fine so far today.

???

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I am gaining...

And I am gaining on my browser - trying to find some amount of normalcy there, but my "favorites" bar is not what it once was. My drop down list is gone - in favor of some links accrost the top.

Or maybe some BS I picked up while trying to reload my games? (still - resulting from an unwanted and incomplete update!)

Right clicking on my screen does not get me the control that I am used to anymore.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Can't help. The GUI I use is my own "creation" atop XFCE4 and hasn't been changed across several OS'en and going on 15 years already.

Shape, decor, colours, buttons, menus, and what they DOO stay where I PUT them, IOW.

Lower overhead lets me waste my life in directions of my own choosing, not on the outcome of Microsoft's most-recent bar-fight.

I am gaining...

Edit:

I guess I simply lost all my "favorites" list, and need to rebuild it.
Was not familiar with the look with it not there.
I think that I may have lost some of my contact info (web addresses only) for some of y'all's shops... :bawling:

My printer(s) have acted fine so far today.

???

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

What browser are you using? In most cases favorites will be in something like a XML file in your user profile folder, usually hidden deep. So it is likely not lost, the update may have just created a new file for some reason.

elaborate on the right clicking. What do you expect, and what to see?

Trying to understand my network: wireless ISP: I have IP cameras set up to work through dyndns.org. Years ago, this used to work on my ISP with a dynamic IP. Then, I switched ISPs and they told me I needed to use a static IP on their network, so I ponied up for that. That quit working (my internet totally quit) so they switched me to a dynamic IP and my internet is working, but of course my IP cameras are not. Their tech support seems to think that I am a clueless nerd and have f'd up my router settings, how they figure that, when nothing has changed on my end, I don't know. But they say dynamic IP should work through dyndns regardless.

Tech support says they can see my camera on a certain 'external' IP within Xplornet. However, whatismyip dot com tells me my IP address (which is not a 192. IP) is totally different from what tech support says it is. How can this be? It seems pretty logical to me as to why I can't see my camera feed, the IP addresses are totally screwed up. But how?

For shits and giggles, I do a tracert to google, and see I've got about 8 hops within various routers inside my ISP's network before it gets out a couple more hops to google. I maintain that any one of those routers could be misconfigured to block the port I am forwarding, but it's like talking to a brick wall (except the brick wall talks back ceaselessly and won't entertain any sort of logic).

How can I have apparently 2 different IP addresses?

Trying to understand my network: wireless ISP: I have IP cameras set up to work through dyndns.org. Years ago, this used to work on my ISP with a dynamic IP. Then, I switched ISPs and they told me I needed to use a static IP on their network, so I ponied up for that. That quit working (my internet totally quit) so they switched me to a dynamic IP and my internet is working, but of course my IP cameras are not. Their tech support seems to think that I am a clueless nerd and have f'd up my router settings, how they figure that, when nothing has changed on my end, I don't know. But they say dynamic IP should work through dyndns regardless.

Tech support says they can see my camera on a certain 'external' IP within Xplornet. However, whatismyip dot com tells me my IP address (which is not a 192. IP) is totally different from what tech support says it is. How can this be? It seems pretty logical to me as to why I can't see my camera feed, the IP addresses are totally screwed up. But how?

For shits and giggles, I do a tracert to google, and see I've got about 8 hops within various routers inside my ISP's network before it gets out a couple more hops to google. I maintain that any one of those routers could be misconfigured to block the port I am forwarding, but it's like talking to a brick wall (except the brick wall talks back ceaselessly and won't entertain any sort of logic).

How can I have apparently 2 different IP addresses?

Well i would start with getting the facts from my own exploration rather then believing a word anyone else tells me.

What does IP Chicken - What is my IP address? Free public IP lookup. say your IP is?

What are the ports in question? Number and TCP or UDP?

Can you post a trace route from you to google?

Do you have an actual modem in house or is this an device up on the roof that feeds down into router of some sort?

If it is the latter, then you will need to contact your ISP to open ports. Its a pain, but if you can get an actual engineer at the ISP they will know exactly what you are talking about. They run some firewalling from there transmitter to your receiver and you are not in control of this. Beyond that you will need to open those ports in the router as well.

I recently went through this with another forum member that i set up a VPN server for. It wasn't a cakewalk but after an hour or so with an engineer from the ISP we got it all worked out.

If you do have a modem in your control, you can log into it to confirm your IP, and see that it matches IPchicken. If it does not, it is not the true public ip address, and not what you should be tying to DYN dns.

Based on what you are saying it is extremely likely that the port needs to be forwarded higher up the chain before anything you do will have any effect.

What browser are you using? In most cases favorites will be in something like a XML file in your user profile folder, usually hidden deep. So it is likely not lost, the update may have just created a new file for some reason.

elaborate on the right clicking. What do you expect, and what to see?

I have replaced the problem child with one that doesn't git used much anymore. It's still 7 and has lots of headroom. But I need to find "Office" and load it yet. Didn't really need it much before, but if it's the main tower, yeah...

(It has Libre (?) Office in it now. I want M/S Office tho...)

Is this a download program these days?
If so - from Microsoft.com or what?

Or should I expect to fetch it at a 'putor store somewhere?

My kid can dump and reload this other one later....

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have replaced the problem child with one that doesn't git used much anymore. It's still 7 and has lots of headroom. But I need to find "Office" and load it yet. Didn't really need it much before, but if it's the main tower, yeah...

(It has Libre (?) Office in it now. I want M/S Office tho...)

Is this a download program these days?
If so - from Microsoft.com or what?

Or should I expect to fetch it at a 'putor store somewhere?

My kid can dump and reload this other one later....

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You can download it from Microsoft. Expect to pay though. They either charge you monthly for office 365, or charge a quite high price for a stand alone non subscription version.

But I need to find "Office" and load it yet.
I use open office instead of MS office. It's free and is nearly identical. Apache OpenOffice Product Description

Now for my own question, is there any way to monitor and or log incoming internet signal to a building? Not monitoring the internal network or anything like that, but the actual signal from the provider. I have a new building with a brand new underground service from Comcast, and it can drop out several times a day, then almost immediately come back. The clue that the problem is not internal is that the internet and network takes a shit exactly the same time the phone drops a call, and the phone lines are on their own modem. So both modems go down simultaneously. Has to be the incoming signal, right? Of course Comcast says their side is fine.

I have a new building with a brand new underground service from Comcast, and it can drop out several times a day, then almost immediately come back. The clue that the problem is not internal is that the internet and network takes a shit exactly the same time the phone drops a call, and the phone lines are on their own modem. So both modems go down simultaneously. Has to be the incoming signal, right? Of course Comcast says their side is fine.

Are you sure you don't have Charter Communications? That story sound eerily familiar when I lived in Southern California. I had internet phone also. When they claim the outage is on you that is their default lie. Often I would call asking if they had an outage, they would say no and try to talk me into a service call that I would have to pay for it they determined the problem was my fault. Thirty minutes after my original call lo and behold my call to them gets a recorded message that there is an outage in my area. My area at the time had frequent long outages as I lived in a couple square mile pocket of high wind gusts and Charter had a lot of above ground equipment and lines. I ended up going to wireless through a cell provider which was a little more reliable. I was in an area with a strong cell signal. Considering where you are at, if Comcast does not improve their service I would just get an old fashion land line for the business phone, as for internet, what do the other businesses in the area use? Your issues are all on Comcast and they won't own it.

Recently identification of a "back door" for Intel chips for hackers to exploit caused "patches" to be made to offset the problem. How will this effect CNC machines?

I use open office instead of MS office. It's free and is nearly identical. Apache OpenOffice Product Description

Now for my own question, is there any way to monitor and or log incoming internet signal to a building? Not monitoring the internal network or anything like that, but the actual signal from the provider. I have a new building with a brand new underground service from Comcast, and it can drop out several times a day, then almost immediately come back. The clue that the problem is not internal is that the internet and network takes a shit exactly the same time the phone drops a call, and the phone lines are on their own modem. So both modems go down simultaneously. Has to be the incoming signal, right? Of course Comcast says their side is fine.

Sure. Most cable installers have a meter that can measure this. They plug the end of the coax into it and it will display things like Upstream power, Downstream Power, Signal to Noise Ratio, etc.

In most cases like you are describing it is the Signal to Noise that is getting you. You will want have your cable company send a tech out to test these numbers at the pole and at your modem. The problem should reveal itself if they know what they are doing.

Depending on what comcast modem you have you can actually log into and see these number yourself. If possible, note when connectivity is good, and when it is bad. I have seen water in lines do this, especially when water turns to ice. Sometimes installers neglect to put the water proof connectors on the outdoor lines if they don't think water can get in. water finds a way.

Attached is what you you can see from logging into a Motorola Comcast Modem

1033.status.jpg

Recently identification of a "back door" for Intel chips for hackers to exploit caused "patches" to be made to offset the problem. How will this effect CNC machines?

I can't predict the future, but i think the effect will be negligible. Most if not all CNC machines use custom CPUs and electronics. Not x86 Intel CPUs.

Back