What's new
What's new

Ask me anything IT related

That's all good & well and totally useless advice, of course. *AND* doesn't address the many, many reasons one would use ZFS over a shit-ton of other options anyway.

As I did, for a mission-critical database system that had to run all the time. And it did, from commissioning to decommissioning after 8 years of 100% uptime.

On Solaris 10, Sun hardware, using ZFS. I'd do it again if Ellison hadn't bought Sun Microsystems. Now I use linux.

PDW

Wot a combination. Might get you sympathy. Would NOT get you an interview.

Larry didn't CAUSE Sun to fail. They had already. All he wanted was the customer base.

So if there is any OTHER kind of advice than "useless" w/r ZFS? On Slowlaris or real OS, either one?

Pass it on to your fellow sufferer in Shanghai. He's the one in need.

I'm one of many that never made that same mistake ONCE.

There is no doubt that there was a time that ZFS was indeed the cat's ass. I think that time has passed for most applications. Storage media, including SSD based is so cheap now and will be cheaper next year. There is no reason not to run real hardware redundant arrays. Not that you cant do hardware arrays with ZFS of course, but its another layer of complication. Anything Linux uses the native LVM, OS X uses Core Storage/APFS, Windows is working on something but will remain irrelevant for the foreseeable future. Use the most drives you can afford in a RAID 10, maintain backups, replace drives and maintain the array, and you will be just fine forever.

But WHEN you think a FS is bulletproof? I was "the guy" who could always find more than one way to prove otherwise. Re-writes ensued.

Now ...just go and prove us wrong, willyah?
You are the guy who doesn't bother to read. Maybe if you'd dismount that high horse once in a while you could touch base with reality.

I quite clearly said I was the one who fubarred. I overwrote the wrong disk when doing a < zpool create > operation. This is similar to doing "format c:".

It has nothing to do with the file system, except that recovering from one's own stupid toplevel mistake is going to be different with zfs than FAT.

Since zfs has several layers of backups, I was hoping someone else had been equally stupid and could lay out the easiest recovery method. If it had been FAT, then a ddrescue would be my next choice, but with zfs I haven't messed up like that often enough to be experienced at bit-level recovery. In fact, from my understanding, bit-level recovery should not be necessary. Just a better understanding of how to get into the archives of which-inodes-go-where.

If that's true, zfs is once again superior to all other existing file systems.

You are the guy who doesn't bother to read. Maybe if you'd dismount that high horse once in a while you could touch base with reality.

I quite clearly said I was the one who fubarred. I overwrote the wrong disk when doing a < zpool create > operation. This is similar to doing "format c:".

It has nothing to do with the file system, except that recovering from one's own stupid toplevel mistake is going to be different with zfs than FAT.

Since zfs has several layers of backups, I was hoping someone else had been equally stupid and could lay out the easiest recovery method. If it had been FAT, then a ddrescue would be my next choice, but with zfs I haven't messed up like that often enough to be experienced at bit-level recovery. In fact, from my understanding, bit-level recovery should not be necessary. Just a better understanding of how to get into the archives of which-inodes-go-where.

If that's true, zfs is once again superior to all other existing file systems.

I know this isn't directed at me, but my Testdisk suggestion was not meant to write you off, but rather offer a simple recovery option if you did indeed just overwrite a few select sectors. Happy to help further, but i like to start with the simplest option being the best option

I know this isn't directed at me, but my Testdisk suggestion was not meant to write you off, but rather offer a simple recovery option if you did indeed just overwrite a few select sectors.
Yes, thank you for the idea. If it gets to that point I'll try that.

A < zpool create > on top of an existing zpool is similar to doing a format command ... if you don't write to disk after, then everything should still be there. So Testdisk might work, but if I can recover the prior level of zpool data, then that would be simple.

But from what I have seen so far (there's a guy who has done something similar) it's way over my head. If you want to get a headache, google "Max Bruning zfs file recovery". He's recovering stuff that's not supposed to be recovered, as in files that were purposely deleted. Probly works for the CIA :)

(Thanks for the pointer, anything is gonna be better than ddrescue ! :D)

Wot a combination. Might get you sympathy. Would NOT get you an interview.

Fortunately I've never needed to interview for any position in over 25 years. I've turned down a lot of offers, though, because what I did, works.

In fact it still does and the users keep paying me every year just so I'll return their calls. Since you've never been in a position to pay me a cent, your opinions on what/how I do stuff matters about as much as the money you've paid me.

So try picking on someone else - they may care.

PDW

A user had sent me a message regarding Autocad and printing scale. I tried to reply, but his inbox is full and not accepting messages. Im going to put my answer here.

Sounds like a printer setting. Can you access the printer properties/ preferences and look for a setting relating to "fit to page" "shrink to fit" or a percentage based scaling? Not sure what printer you are using, but there is almost always such a setting. A dont think Autocad really has much in the way of scaling options for printing, so that should come from your printer settings. If you cant find it, let me know what OS you are using as well as the printer model number.

Do any of those that have a home page keep records of who is looking at it? This is from my latest statistics.

Statistics FMS (1 month February/March 2018)

Place Visitors % Visits
1. India 1.307 9,23 %
2. UK 879 6,21 %
3. California 819 5,78 %
4. Unknown 696 4,92 %
5. China 603 4,26 %
6. Virginia 565 3,99 %
7. Canada 423 2,99 %
8. Texas 407 2,87 %
9. Arizona 400 2,83 %
10. Russia 354 2,50 %

I get on average over 600 hits a day. If only they all also bought :)

Do any of those that have a home page keep records of who is looking at it? This is from my latest statistics.

Statistics FMS (1 month February/March 2018)

Place Visitors % Visits
1. India 1.307 9,23 %
2. UK 879 6,21 %
3. California 819 5,78 %
4. Unknown 696 4,92 %
5. China 603 4,26 %
6. Virginia 565 3,99 %
7. Canada 423 2,99 %
8. Texas 407 2,87 %
9. Arizona 400 2,83 %
10. Russia 354 2,50 %

I get on average over 600 hits a day. If only they all also bought :)

I use Clicky Analytics for my sites. Web Analytics in Real Time | Clicky

Very nice for real time analytics and tracking. They also have a "Spy" feature where you can watch a user progress through the site in real time, as well as review it later. Excellent for optimizing customer flow, seeing where people enter, where they sit and read, where people drop off, where people buy, abandoned carts, etc.

makezee are you still listening? I'm having a terrible time getting all the PCs on my network to see each other. I've tried everything on the first 3 pages of google search results and still frustrated. I have 3 W7 machines and 4 W10 machines. Most of the W10 machines can only see 2 other Pcs, one W7 and 1 W10. If i map a drive from another machine on a W10 machine it disappears when restarted. One W7 machine can see all the others, and all the others can see it, it's the second oldest machine on the network, nothing really unique about it. All are 64 bit Pro systems. Have any place to start that I may not have seen in a search?

^ Keeping seven Windows computers all talking to each other is never going to be a joy, Mud. Have you considered something like an HP microsoerver (small, quiet, cheap, maybe 8 terabytes storage) for storing everything ? Then you only have a one-to-one problem with each workstation. Pus centralized is easier to back up, secure, take care of, deal with permissions (if you do that), bla bla bla.

You can even use something reliable on the server, such as Solaris with zfs :D

makezee are you still listening? I'm having a terrible time getting all the PCs on my network to see each other. I've tried everything on the first 3 pages of google search results and still frustrated. I have 3 W7 machines and 4 W10 machines. Most of the W10 machines can only see 2 other Pcs, one W7 and 1 W10. If i map a drive from another machine on a W10 machine it disappears when restarted. One W7 machine can see all the others, and all the others can see it, it's the second oldest machine on the network, nothing really unique about it. All are 64 bit Pro systems. Have any place to start that I may not have seen in a search?

Wachoo are attempting is "peer to peer" use of exported "shares". It gets wonky around the time TWO Winboxen are networked and get into disagrement as to who is 'on first".

Seven boxen, and more than one OS version, is simply masochistic. You'll be working for the machines, not they for you.

KISS.

Put a "NAS" in the mix. Network Attached Storage. I like simple RAID 1. YMMV

Now all hands see the same "mothership", "library", or "marketplace" for downloading, uploading, trading files. Also printers and scanners if you need that, too.

We have 2 cad/cam PC's running windows 10. We also have an older one in engineering that was our main one when we started years ago that's 32bit with Pro-E running XP. In the shop we have some older PC's that aren't online running windows 98. They are used just for DNC purposes. We have a server where all our files are kept. The 32 bit XP computer and the new ones all have access to files on the server. That all seems a little confusing when I reread it but hears my questions. Our IT guy says the only PC that can transfer files to the DNC pc's is the Pro-E computer as it is 32 bit. He says the newer windows 10 pc's cannot load and down load files to the older PC's
Here's my problem with this set up. It's a PITA to draw and program on the new PC's, transfer the files to the server, then open them on the XP computer so I can send them to DNC PC's. I'm told the only way to change that is to update all the computers in the shop. Seems a little weird and expensive, to me so I thought I'd ask.

Is my problem clear as mud? please let me know if I need to clarify this

Thanks much

Steve

I have a customer (they have a huge IT department) that is trying to send me a small excel spreadsheet as an attachment to an email. All I get is an attached .txt file:

ATTENTION!

Content control has removed the following attachments due to policy reasons.
To release the blocked attachments please contact your administrator!

Attachments:
(filename) .xlsm : Scanned file contained macros.

My IT guy says its on their end, their IT says they can send this to all their other vendors. Any ideas?

I have a customer (they have a huge IT department) that is trying to send me a small excel spreadsheet as an attachment to an email. All I get is an attached .txt file:

ATTENTION!

Content control has removed the following attachments due to policy reasons.
To release the blocked attachments please contact your administrator!

Attachments:
(filename) .xlsm : Scanned file contained macros.

My IT guy says its on their end, their IT says they can send this to all their other vendors. Any ideas?

Have them put it into a .ZIP file and send that.

G-mail doesn't like zips.

"REIMAGE"

Anyone know anything about this Shidt?

I don't recall what the original issue was, but I was lookin' fer a fix fer something a while back, and this thing claimed to have a fix for that.
So I gave it a try I guess....
I believe that it did in fact solve the issue at hand that day, but now I can't git rid of the REIMAGE.

I have deleted it from any library that I can find it, but it still pops up frequently wanting to doo this or that.

Search didn't seem to find anything to help either.

???

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back