What's new
What's new

Asquith tool?

Here is a picture of a #4 Morse spindle showing the tool retention slot. The other picture is a retention key I made. The key is shown with the set screw and plunger extended for clarity. Normally they would flush and slightly proud, respectively.

hole wizard 4 morse with retention slot.jpg 4 morse retention key.jpg

Last edited:
Fred Pollard thinks the extra slot in an MT 3 is OK.
My 15 AY drill spindle, diameter 1 3/8 (+ a few thou). Little battered but what do you expect for £ 125 and it works just fine after I pushed a reamer up the taper.

Surprises me that none of my Pollard branded tapping heads have the matching slot even though all but the smallest ( a no 2) are on an MT 3 arbor. Gotta find me a No 1 tapping head to complete the set. How sad can you get.

Clive

Attachments

• Pollard Spindle.jpg
    Pollard Spindle.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 140
Chuck is an Albrecht. 3 more of different sizes in the drawer. I do like a good keyless.

Got nothing on slotted MT 3's to use a retention key with but the tapping heads pulled out very regular until I cleaned out the taper which is why it was surprising not to see a keyslot in the factory mounts. That said a previous owner probably used a plough to refinish the taper. Had to drill up a bit to get the reamer in far enough to clean up properly.

Clive

I used to have an " Albrecht " keyless chuck. A very good make, you could tap up to about 3/8" with it as well. " Archer " also made a similar, very nice one that had " Tommy bar " holes in for added grip. Regards Tyrone.

Christmas in July ? ? ?

First guy to post a photo of his machine spindle with the requisite locating slots on this site can have the cotter. It's no use to me anymore. PM me with your postal address . . .

I am almost 3,000 miles away from the Lucas at the Tuckahoe Machine Shop Museum so it took me a while to get the attached pic of the Lucas spindle. The spindle is 2-3/4" in diameter and did not come from the factory with the second slot -- while I had the machine apart during its rebuild I cross-drilled and hand-filed the locking slot. (The ejecting slot is a bit oversize after a century of work.) Fortunately in 1912 Lucas spindle bars were unhardened, so filing is easy. Thanks to John Oder, I have the specs, but I left the slot undersize until I could get a piece of #5MT tooling with the matching locking slot -- better left undersize until I could fit the locking slot to the matching tooling.

If the cotter is still available, the Tuckahoe Lucas will put it to work. We are starting to acquire tooling with the locking slots. If the final sizing is not completed by this October, I promise to do the work myself when I visit MD after being away for a year.

Thanks,

Archie

P.S.: Address sent by private message.

Attachments

• LucSpin1.jpg
    LucSpin1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 103
I am almost 3,000 miles away from the Lucas at the Tuckahoe Machine Shop Museum so it took me a while to get the attached pic of the Lucas spindle. The spindle is 2-3/4" in diameter and did not come from the factory with the second slot -- while I had the machine apart during its rebuild I cross-drilled and hand-filed the locking slot. (The ejecting slot is a bit oversize after a century of work.) Fortunately in 1912 Lucas spindle bars were unhardened, so filing is easy. Thanks to John Oder, I have the specs, but I left the slot undersize until I could get a piece of #5MT tooling with the matching locking slot -- better left undersize until I could fit the locking slot to the matching tooling.

If the cotter is still available, the Tuckahoe Lucas will put it to work. We are starting to acquire tooling with the locking slots. If the final sizing is not completed by this October, I promise to do the work myself when I visit MD after being away for a year.

Thanks,

Archie

P.S.: Address sent by private message.

I'm really sorry Archie but I finally managed to find a home for it with an old customer of mine about a month ago. You could have had it with pleasure. I'll see if he's got any used ones you can have.

Regards Tyrone.

Our museum recently received this tool as part of a donation of other tools. I am fairly sure that I know what this tool was used for, but I have never seen one like it. The springs can be closed by hand pressure and it can close at either end or parallel. The Asquith name is a big clue and I suspect that some members (Tyrone Shoelaces?) will immediately recognise it. Anybody care to guess?

We sold the rights to make them off years ago. The trick with them was to put O rings round the outside of the Quill over the Cotter 'just in case' it made a bid for freedom when the spindle was running.

We sold the rights to make them off years ago. The trick with them was to put O rings round the outside of the Quill over the Cotter 'just in case' it made a bid for freedom when the spindle was running.
I never knew one come loose. We used to wrap masking tape around the tool ejector collar to stop the pin coming out on the old OD 1 spindles.

Regards Tyrone.

Back