What's new
What's new

At home hobbiest

Status
Not open for further replies.

THEone17

Plastic
I bought a mini lathe And have very little experience operating the machine. I am having an issue with the tool backing away from the work piece. I cannot seem to get a consistent turning diameter. Any advice to help me better my skills and ability is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Possibly the metal is too hard for the lathe to cut .....or you have something basic like tool height ,or angle wrong.......download a copy of SBs "How to run a late ",and you wont have to post on forums where you will shortly be terminated.

First, you should be polite to people you haven't met. You should first address him as Jerky McJerkface.

Second: unfortunately, your thread is outside what the forum is supposed to be about. The stickied forum rules, right at the top of the General forum you posted this in:

Note that this is the Manufacturing Forum, not the home shop machinist forum. And while all levels of "how to" metalworking or woodworking questions regarding technique are welcome here, we are drawing the line at discussing "home shop grade" Asian machine tools and hand tools.

So your thread won't last very long.

But in case you get to read this before it gets deleted: yes, that machine is the bottom of the barrel and you will have a very difficult time getting any meaningful dimensions or finish.

A friend has one and all I needed to do was turn and face a very small piece of aluminum (under an inch). Couldn't do it. The tool post was all over the place, the saddle wasn't stable and as I later learned, the spindle bearings didn't even run true.

I put an indicator on it and it would be all over the place, as if the bearings had flat spots in them or something. It would be good-good-good and then drop 0.002" off center, then back, good, then 0.005" the other way. Its a disaster of a machine. I hope you drew the lucky straw and got a better one

I bought a mini lathe And have very little experience operating the machine. I am having an issue with the tool backing away from the work piece. I cannot seem to get a consistent turning diameter. Any advice to help me better my skills and ability is greatly appreciated, thank you.
- Put a small steel ruler against the work and then bring the tool bit lightly against the ruler. Stand to the right and adjust the tool height so the ruler is vertical.
- Tighten Allen screw gib adjustments for X & Y.
- Use a soft material like some scrap aluminum and use a light depth of cut.
- Do not do spindle turning at first. No tail stock involved. Just try cuts with a piece in a s jaw chuck or collet.
- Get some inexpensive brazed carbide bits. You can re-sharpen them on a diamond stone.
- Describe your machine. Will these insert holders fit on the tool post? 3/8 inch square?

Brazed carbide:

Insert holder set:

Might have trouble doing that on a 2 axis lathe since there is no “Y” axis!
40pi8b.jpg

Any advice to help me better my skills and ability is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Steps 1 to 3.
1. Start out by being polite.
2. Buy a real machine.
3. If you can't do either of the above go ask the home shop Harry's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back