What's new
What's new

Athol vise

D. Ravizza

Aluminum
Hi,

I would like to share a picture of my Athol machinist's vise. I believe this vise is considered a woodworker's vise or a sheet metal vise. It is unusual because it has a quick release mechanism. The vise opens to over 9" and the jaws are 4.5" wide. I would love to hear from anyone who has one of these or could provide any information. I am also curious about the conection between Athol vises and L. S. Starrett. It's funny how addicting these old vices are :D Thanks!

Dan

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/dravizza/atholvise.jpg

Hey, nice vise !
Sarge is right they were taken over by Starret.
I have read two dates for Athol Machine Company being absorbed by Starret 1 was 1905 and the other was 1920.
I tend to think the latter because I have seen a hardware store catalog ( Belcher & Loomis , Providence ) dated 1921 with Athol Machine Co vises listed.
We all know that stores can sell old stock but 15 yrs seems a bit long.

Heres a couple of athols i have. The one on the right is a No2, on the left No3. Neither are dated but i have a larger one dated 1885. Ruler er scale on the left is 6"inches.
atholvise.jpg

One difference I've noticed, the Athols never have a swivel base. The swivel option was added when Starrett got it. I would love to see an example that contradicts this.

Here's a couple of scans from the 1906 A.M. Co. catalog. From Ken Cope's book the company was founded in 1868, aquired by Starrett in 1905, named changed to Athol Machine & Foundary Co. in 1930 and ceased operation in 1963.

I'd say Dan's vice dates between 1905 and 1930 with the more modern swivel clamp. I have a reprint of the Standard Tool Co. catalog from 1891 that does not show the two clamp vices so that narrows down their dates. Standard was the sister company of A.M. Co. making machinist tools, and they were rivals of Starrett.
Athol_vice.jpg

Athol_vice1.jpg

Hi,

I would like to share a picture of my Athol machinist's vise. I believe this vise is considered a woodworker's vise or a sheet metal vise. It is unusual because it has a quick release mechanism. The vise opens to over 9" and the jaws are 4.5" wide. I would love to hear from anyone who has one of these or could provide any information. I am also curious about the conection between Athol vises and L. S. Starrett. It's funny how addicting these old vices are :D Thanks!

Dan

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/dravizza/atholvise.jpg
Would you still have this vise sir?

Back