What's new
What's new

AXA or 0XA for a South Bend 9" (Model C I think)

MrCreosote

Aluminum
MACHINE: It's a light duty, flat belt drive, back gears, change gears, longitudinal feed only (no cross feed) - I think that's a Model C

USAGE: Hobby, garage, cars: Use it most to make bushings - nothing beyond caliper measurement precision.

Want to use 1/2" tooling (wouldn't mind hogging out the tool holder top)

Concerned the 0XA would be too low (and probably not hackable for 1/2" tools) and the AXA too high and big when swinging maximum.

You *could* put a lift block under the 0XA type, but the AXA would be a better choice. Also probably less expensive, especially if you go aftermarket. There used to be a supplier for aftermarket zero-sized QC setups but they no longer sell them (littlemachineshop.com).

No need to guess either. If you go to the Aloris website, and look at specific toolposts and holders. . .Side scroll to last pic of each, it will show you dimensions. Measure from the top of your compound to spindle centerline. Look at post and holder dimensions to figure where cutting tool tip height will be. In a perfect world, holder would be about halfway between top and bottom of toolpost with cutting tool tip at spindle centerline.

Last edited:
Thanks all, I'm going to do the measurements of the AXA and distance from compound to center, but just looking at the Aloris dimensions, seems like the AXA will be it. I will measure and report back here. What I may not report back is the cheap POS I'll buy to make my bushings, pins and spacers! but I will get a wedge type of course.

I use an AXA on my 9a. Works well.
I'm thinking the same thing, no alternative really. Was concerned about using 1/2" tools (I have lots of HSS and brazed carbide)

I was looking at dimensions. My 9c is 1" from top of compound to chuck centerline.
The AXA tool holder will just fit a 1/2" tool where the top of the 1/2" holder slot is 1" from it's bottom - that puts the 1/2" tool at the center line with tool holder contacting compound. Concerned if want to cut a bit low. If I had to, I could manually grind some off the bottom of the tool holder - that surface is irrelevant.

The boring bar and cut-off tool heights look good.

Every size series of toolposts has an oversized holder, which could allow for the next size tool, larger than the regular. Depending the series, the holder number ends with -1S.

In this case, an AXA-1 holds a 1/2" tool. The oversized holder can hold up to 5/8", the holder number AXA-1S.

Where that may help you, I'm pretty sure the extra 1/8th comes from the bottom side. So using a 1/2" tool in an AXA-1S would put tool tip height at 7/8" if bottomed out on compound. Might confirm that here:

The cheap pos AXA wedge-type is more stable than the cross slide itself on the '28 9C here. I like it.

Yeah, the 9 is definitely a light lathe. Didn't know about the 1S holder, it's nice because I also have 5/8 tooling that now I could use. LOL, I'm 71 with issues and the amount of work I'll be doing is like.... virtually nil. But I always wanted to upgrade my ENCO turret - I'm tired of shipping and swapping the post for my parting tool. Frankly, I'm going this primarily for parting.

I'm thinking the same thing, no alternative really. Was concerned about using 1/2" tools (I have lots of HSS and brazed carbide)

I was looking at dimensions. My 9c is 1" from top of compound to chuck centerline.
The AXA tool holder will just fit a 1/2" tool where the top of the 1/2" holder slot is 1" from it's bottom - that puts the 1/2" tool at the center line with tool holder contacting compound. Concerned if want to cut a bit low. If I had to, I could manually grind some off the bottom of the tool holder - that surface is irrelevant.

The boring bar and cut-off tool heights look good.
I don't use 1/2" tools on mine (actually, I don't even have 1). I use 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8". These sizes work well for me.

I don't use 1/2" tools on mine (actually, I don't even have 1). I use 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8". These sizes work well for me.
I've got down to 1/4" too - I have a collection of old stuff - lots of fancy complex hand ground HSS stuff that I'll never use.

Dad brought home a Aloris BX tool post with a couple of tool holders he put on the 9" SBL I have now. It didn't last long. It was slightly too big for the lathe. He took it back to work to where he found it. I put a AXA size tool post on it about twenty years ago and has served me quite well. Ken

I have AXA I got from either
or http://www.cdcotools.com/
Been real happy with it . I have been buying extra tool holders when I have some extra $$ layin round . I did go to my hardware guy & bought a bag of 100 screws to replace the soft screws that come with most import tool holders .
animal

Been looking for best deal and even if buying direct from China, no real savings, so I'm pretty sure I'm going with BoStar - the mega 11-pc AXA for $155 + $16 shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/281827797886 They 9 pc and even smaller that would meet my needs, but you can never have too many tool holders (at least that's what I tell myself) And if I buy this delux set, maybe I'll be motivated to use my lathe more - just having a cutoff tool I can set the height precisely is something I've never had.

RE: CUTOFF TOOL SETTING: I'm probably the last guy to learn of the cool way using a straight piece of rigid sheet metal (like a pocket scale). You all knw what I mean, right?
1702539462737.png

To those that have the AXA on their SB 9 lathe: were you able to use your compound t-slot sliding plate and bolt with the AXA - especially Chinese which comes with a large thick plate which does not fit (I don't have a mill other than the cumbersome milling attachment for the SB.)

I think you will need to mill the base (to be more specific, the "plate", not the t-slot).

Last edited:

Back