What's new
What's new

B&S Microval 454 MM3 compatible with 454 Relex controller?

markp

Hot Rolled
Ive got a microval 454 CMM running MM3 on a cpu through the black box. Had it awhile and it works fine, replaced a couple hoses over the years but no leaks. A reflex 454 is available cheap that has a bad y scale. Looks like the connectors on the reflex box are identical to those on my black box B&S interface. Is the reflex 454 controller plug and play with my older microval CMM? Are there comp files that are specific to each CMM that need to be entered for these to work correctly? Ive seen stickers to that effect on reflex controller images online.

I bought my original MM3 discs from Hexagon for 1000$ years ago and they told me at the time the software had comp files embedded in it and would only work correctly on the CMM I gave them the serial number for. I never believed that but maybe its true?

Looked into it a bit deeper. Seems that each B&S machine has an error comp file. The error comp file that is loaded at startup by the reflex is called the "volcomp" file. On MM3 its also called volcomp. Can I just swap out the volcomp files from my MM3 machine software discs to a reflex controller? Are they compatible? Anyone ever done this before?

So the previous owner said this unit was moved to its last location without the fixtures installed and afterwards it gave an error when the y axis was moved. I bought it cheap for the reflex controller. After looking it over I see its been retubed and in really nice shape. Sure enough, when Im calibrating the ball, if I move the Y axis, I get a rate error. No error in Z or X. While unloading I saw that a small glass grating fell out from somewhere. It wasn't damaged,(though it looks like it in this crummy photo) but I think this grating is supposed to be in the plastic reader housing thats held down with a spring arm. Is that correct? Does anyone know what orientation this should be in to work properly?

Attachments

• IMG_6163.jpg
    IMG_6163.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6164.jpg
    IMG_6164.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 35
Figured out the orientation. Im going to make a fixture to hold the plastic reader casing and super glue the grating back in. Then you need to go to system utilities select Autotune and follow instructions to recalibrate the installed grating. Same procedure if you install a new read head.

Do not unbolt or loosen the spring mount arm, just carefully lift it above the registration pins and remove the read head. You have to enter the last digits of the serial number(but reversed) to get into this screen.

"Where do I find the Service Utilities?
• At the home screen, record the number at the top left of the screen.
• Select the "Service Utilities" (ambulance) softkey.
• At the password promt, enter the last 5 digits of the recorded serial
number, reversed."

Was told by a cmm guy whos done a few of these not to use anything other than silicone adhesive (just a tiny amount) to glue the grating back on. Superglue will wreck it. Apparently, this a common failure on some B&S cmms. Will report back after repairs.

I was able to repair the read head. Im still getting the XYZ counter chip error. I think its because of a weak power supply. With the reflex case open, the front red led illuminates but the rear one under the counter board barely flickers. I see the correct voltage at the test points on both boards except the 12v test point and the 2v test point on the upper counter board. The 12v reads 11.5volts, the 2v reads 2.9v.

Seems like either a bad ps or a bad voltage regulator.

The machine came with an ault sw201 power supply 4 amps at 5vdc and .1 amp at 12vdc. Anyone out there with a reflex or gage 2000 controller who can verify that this is the correct supply?

If the reader is the problem, I've got a few spare reader heads from the smaller Reflex machine - if you can figure out the part number you need I would sell one for way less than what Hexagon wants.

Otherwise I will try to look at my power supply on Monday when I'm back at the shop. If you PM me I will be more likely to see that and remember!

Thanks. I did find another compatible power supply and same issue. I looked at the reflex boards and used a IR camera and see that IC HC4066 (quad relay) on the top board is hot at 136F. I ordered a new one, well see if that helps. It looks like thats whats pulling down the 12vdc to 11.5. If I run with the top board disconnected, the 12v test points on the main board are all 12V. (The 2v test point was ok, I was looking at the meter from an angle. Its actually 2.01v.)

Rick,
I rescue picked up an old Microval that was not working and began the process of restoring it. It was from 1990 and after replacing all the tubes and power supply, was able to get everything working except for the y axis. Turns out the glass had fallen out. I never used or knew anything about CMMs so this was a good learning experience. Do you still have a read head available? I've posted pictures of the x and y read heads showing with and without the glass. I would be interested in buying a replacement if it is of the correct style.

Thanks,
Alan

Attachments

• 20211202_212806.jpg
    20211202_212806.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 13
Unfortunately, those don't visually match the units I've got here. The larger machine must use a different part number.

Mine have a reader head that is much smaller than the connector on the other end of the ribbon.

Back