What's new
What's new

background music on TV too loud

slowmotion

Cast Iron
Sorry for the way off topic post but I need help with this. Some programs I can barely hear the dialogue because of the damn background music. The TV does not have a setting for this. I have satellite, is there a setting that I can make on one of those magic boxes somehow? I can program my cnc but I hate cell phones, apps, and other technical marvels.

Sorry for the way off topic post but I need help with this. Some programs I can barely hear the dialogue because of the damn background music. The TV does not have a setting for this. I have satellite, is there a setting that I can make on one of those magic boxes somehow? I can program my cnc but I hate cell phones, apps, and other technical marvels.

Not really.

very poor productions these days, "Let's cut the audio guy".
Same with "Who needs all these cameras, just strap a go-pro in a squirrel"

that really is a nuisance. we watch tv with the controller in hand and adjusting volume all the time. its been going on for a few years. first i thought it was my hearing, but junior sais its the same for him. its one of the incomprehensible features of the digital world, i guess.

If you are in the market for a new stereo, consider getting a multi channel system[they can be had cheap] with a center channel speaker

Actually it occurs to me that my old directv box did have several sound options, and you might cycle through those. non dolby, or dolby or whatever

Closed captioning.

L7

^^^^This. I've taken to watching certain shows like foreign language movies with subtitles by using CC. I've tried every setting in every smart TV to no avail. And it's not just us old farts, I see complaints about certain shows on other forums by younger people.

^^^^This. I've taken to watching certain shows like foreign language movies with subtitles by using CC. I've tried every setting in every smart TV to no avail. And it's not just us old farts, I see complaints about certain shows on other forums by younger people.

Same. Too much background noise with shows these days. Sometimes TVs and sound systems have settings for various sound presets that help. Closed captions of course solves the problem, though is somewhat annoying to have to do.

If you are in the market for a new stereo, consider getting a multi channel system[they can be had cheap] with a center channel speaker

Actually it occurs to me that my old directv box did have several sound options, and you might cycle through those. non dolby, or dolby or whatever

I think this gets to the heart of the matter. These multichannel Dolby recordings nowadays need a similarly equipped sound system to reproduce the sound levels properly. Typically, surround sound speakers get adjusted in setup to a suitable volume level, and then the music tends to come out there, instead of it all blasting out of a couple of stereo speakers. Just what worked for me to make this problem go away.

Happy to read this. I thought it was just me. All my tv's in the house have closed captioning on for the past 6 months. I can't understand shit when they are talking. Way too much background noise. Some of my tv's have settings to make dialoug louder but it doesn't really help. Maybe on some shows but not all.

Roger that. More than once I've turned off an interesting program because I can't hear the dialog over the dramatic, way too loud, "music". I'm tired of my wife saying "I can't understand a God damned thing they're saying". I paid $200 for a TV speaker add on that was supposed to cure that. I guess I'm one of those suckers that are born every second. $200 pissed down a rat hole.........Bob

What I would love is a wide but short display that sits under the TV and displays all of the subtitles.

I just figured the hearing aid companies were sponsoring all the sound now. I've about 90% given up on TV and movies. It's usually the same old stories over and over again with a different backdrop anyway.

I get the same with YouTube, tv whacked right up to hear the video, ad comes on and blows my eardrums in, irritating
Mark

We elected to not replace our TV receivers as they died, and are now to one 50 inch television set in our great room. We now for the most part watch only PBS broadcasts and Turner Classic Movies in order to escape the frequent loud and invasive commercials. Some friends have decided not to watch television at all. Possibly the various broadcasting stations will take a good look at their practices and become aware that they are pushing their customers too far.

Happy to read this. I thought it was just me. All my tv's in the house have closed captioning on for the past 6 months. I can't understand shit when they are talking. Way too much background noise. Some of my tv's have settings to make dialoug louder but it doesn't really help. Maybe on some shows but not all.

Ive been doing that since my early 30's. Thought it was my hearing but I get tested yearly at work for safety. Sound booth and all.

Shows just want you to have it cranked to hear all the dialog. Wife enjoys the CC also.

Sorry, you are out of luck. The sound levels are set when the sources are mixed. There is no independent control.

Tom

Like Hell there ain't!

Pull the power cord out of the wall. End of problem.

How's that for "independent?"

Don't forget to cancel the feed subscription.

Now all yah have to do is figure out what to do with the money freed-up.

And a BRAIN just sprung from bondage as well...

If "the brain" thinks this is a BAD idea?

It's too late!

Yer already cluster-plucked!

Somebody else's meal-ticket. "Lunchmeat" IOW.

:D

I think this gets to the heart of the matter. These multichannel Dolby recordings nowadays need a similarly equipped sound system to reproduce the sound levels properly. Typically, surround sound speakers get adjusted in setup to a suitable volume level, and then the music tends to come out there, instead of it all blasting out of a couple of stereo speakers. Just what worked for me to make this problem go away.

Yes, this ^^.
I have this problem mostly in movies and not regular TV shows. On the volume control back and forth. Sort of ruins sitting back and watching.
Tried limiters/compressors and that sort of works if you fiddle fart enough but a bad solution and will not work on the TV's speaker.
Also cutting the bass and treble off like crazy helps some on the smart TV sound mixer.
Movies now are made for Dolby surround sound and you need that center channel speaker for dialog.
Someone should invent a black box for this as so many people have the same complaint. I think there would be a big market for all those who do not want to buy a fancy receiver and lots of speakers.

I had tweaked my smart TV a bit over time and then upgraded my cable service. The new one found my TV and "fixed" all the audio settings for "best" in it's opinion.
I had to go back in and try to remember what I had tried, what worked and what was poop.

Is this just from the TV itself or is there stereo or other speakers attached?

Bob

I bought a new supermarket telly,and sound was terrible.....music much louder than dialog......my old TV was still quite OK in this respect....I took the new one back ,was some complex third party return issue ..but I did get my money refunded-via the card company......Anyhoo,this demonstrates that modern TVs seem to separate music and dialog and remix it .....so the problem may not be insoluble.

Back