What's new
What's new

Bandsaw blade depth

Bill D

Diamond
In selecting a bandsaw blade a deeper blade can not cut as small a radius. Other then that are there any drawbacks if the cuts are at 90 degrees. It seems like a deeper blade has more beam strength and is less likely to deflect. I suppose a bigger blade may cost a little bit more.
For my 14" wood bandsaw I just leave a 3/8" blade on it for most cuts. I do not use it very much anyway.
I will be buying a 18-20" wood/metal saw soon So I thought I would start looking at blade sources. I think many of the blade welders max out at 1/2" blade size so their is that to think about
Bill D.

In selecting a bandsaw blade a deeper blade can not cut as small a radius. Other then that are there any drawbacks if the cuts are at 90 degrees. It seems like a deeper blade has more beam strength and is less likely to deflect. I suppose a bigger blade may cost a little bit more.
For my 14" wood bandsaw I just leave a 3/8" blade on it for most cuts. I do not use it very much anyway.
I will be buying a 18-20" wood/metal saw soon So I thought I would start looking at blade sources. I think many of the blade welders max out at 1/2" blade size so their is that to think about
Bill D.
Heck, go get some 2" wide blades for it.....it has to doo with how strong your saw frame is too.

You discuss the factors in a blade purchase, but do not seem to be asking a question. And you leave out what kind of cutting you will be doing with it. Wood? Metal? Both? Straight cuts? Curved cuts? What radius? Both? All of the above?

If you are looking for help, it would help if we know more details.

Don't forget about band tension too.

The wider blade will generally cut straighter. But it takes more force to have the same tension across that bigger blade.

So if the 18" bandsaw could hold a 1" blade, I'd probably on a run a 3/4" blade on it because I could stretch it tighter than the 1" blade.

Forget about the blade welders. But the blade to fit your saw. You said yourself that you don't run it very much anyway.

You discuss the factors in a blade purchase, but do not seem to be asking a question. And you leave out what kind of cutting you will be doing with it. Wood? Metal? Both? Straight cuts? Curved cuts? What radius? Both? All of the above?

If you are looking for help, it would help if we know more details.
Yes a general question about all of the above. Up to the saws tension limit is there any draw back to a deeper blade other then curve radius.
I realize most of the time I will use a different blade with bigger coarser teeth for wood. And then a blade with more smaller teeth for metal. Since I will be sawing both wood and metal on the same saw no coolant just wax sticks for metal cut lube.. I do know that not using coolant will make me slow down the metal cuts for reasonable blade life.
Bill D
Bill D

Back