What's new
What's new

Banned on Youtube wannabe machining channels. TOR tip.

Hey, I find Mr Pete interesting even if he's not up to date. This Old Tony does cool things (and rides motorcycles) but, I struggle to get anything out of Abom. You had me thinking I missed something so I just looked again. One of his latest videos features all the excitement and intricacies of drilling and tapping two holes in an angle plate. The bonus content was mastering the ever elusive combination wrench. :LOL:
Yeah was hoping he would bust out those new Milltronics machines, but...

He lost me at about 15 min in when he installs the chuck and adapter plate completely dry, as in no oil or grease on the mating surfaces. That kinda thing would have gotten me beat around here when I was coming up.

Funny, I was always taught the opposite, precision mating surfaces, tapers etc should always be assembled perfectly clean and dry, any oil/grease etc can affect the accuracy of the mate.

Funny, I was always taught the opposite, precision mating surfaces, tapers etc should always be assembled perfectly clean and dry, any oil/grease etc can affect the accuracy of the mate.
maybe in some parts of the world that's ok but I'm in a swamp. Steel on steel in this humidity is a bad idea.

While this is true. How often do you plan to take it apart? That is how I judge whether to oil, or dry.
If oil (on tapers) only something light like LPS3.
Vises? A few years back I was having minor coolant issues (rust). I started greasing them with a light waterproof grease. "green grease" to be exact.
And havent looked back. I pulled these recently after being bolted down on those pallets well over 3 years. The grease works.
But, those vices are pinned, so they cant shift. I never saw any Z issues. But I will say, I could get another 1/4 turn on the bolts the next day.
They never sank again after that (torque wrench).
But, tapers are a completely different scenario. There is no such thing as a perfect fit. All the oil does is fill the voids, and seal out moisture.
If it gets broken down often? Dry is no biggie because it will get inspected often.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0534.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0534.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 49
Speaking of YT. It takes 5 minutes for the initial page to load on my machine. Why? Then several commercials before the video starts. I don't have enough popcorn to sit thru all the commercials.

I use adblock, never see commercials or ads. I forgot they even had them.
YT is cracking down on adblock users, if you have not gotten a warning yet, they will get to you in due time. I started getting warnings a few weeks ago, so dumped adblock, and started using ublock and Firefox. Somewhere in the terms of service, that nobody reads, it says you cannot use adblockers.

Possibly not. Worth looking at this channel? After seeing the bombastic to stupid to full of themselves crap I just don’t search.
Absolutely worth looking! Peter is world class. By far the best CNC guy contributing to youtube.
I consider myself an average CNC guy. I've actually managed to get really good at production, and process improvement.
But, Peter is the guy that says "stand back" when everybody else is saying "how the hell are we gonna do that?"

I like a channel where you can tell the guy is not a full time YouTuber and he films the stuff we want to see and doesn't just "create content". Others seem like they spend half their day at the computer and the other half talking to the camera.

I do YouTube for entertainment, not education. Now, I find lots of educational things entertaining, but I'm not on there to learn machining, I'm there to enjoy it. I'm skeptical of the things I do look up on there when I am trying to learn something, so It all comes with a grain of salt. I watch David Richards when I have the time as he has a good chip-to-talk ratio IMO, but I just don't like how most channels spend so much time talking about things or watching them get ready to work. I'd like to see more channels where the guys just have a go-pro going around the shop with them or tied to a part. No words, no explanation of what their doing, edit out long lengths of dead time, but otherwise just watching chips fly and seeing machines work is what I'm after. Squeeze that in between a 5 minute documentary on WW2 ships, and a Lego build for the kiddos, then I'm falling asleep to Failarmy, and that's the nights entertainment.

Back