What's new
What's new

Banned on Youtube wannabe machining channels. TOR tip.

There is no doubt more "content creators" than real pro machinists on YT, but some of them, I just want to know more. Like, do I need to dump it all and make knives for a living? Really? Pile of brand new top shelf machines to sell a few knives? I must be out of touch.

In at least one case I looked into, I suspect it was a case of "daddy money", but hey, the guy was making stuff rather than buying Lambos!

More curiosity than jealousy. A guy just wants to know how you start with an old Fadal, and in 1yr you buy a brand new Makino, as only an example. I know of one TV series where they did some stuff, and next things you know, they have a host of brand new Haas machines that they don't even know how to run. Turns out Haas used that as an advertising stunt. They programmed them and let the hired idiot hit the green button for the camera.

I think I have learned that YT is for entertainment only because most of us in the grind have minimal time to peck on here, let alone edit a video. I think YT/Google has done a great job of dragging this nation down. People are obsessed with "getting views, likes, comments" so they can get some easy cash. YT/Google is who is really winning here.

There are a lot of keyboard warriors that like to post shit on YT, I don't blame the channel owners for deleting crappy comments. If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.
First day on the internet? LOL.. JK. I correct people all the time. I dont know everything but when I know something, I KNOW IT 100%. And will stand behind it to by dying breathe. There are a lot of really thin skinned content creators and its sad that someone cant take constructive criticism.

I'll double down on the no social skills, but who needs um.
Ohh boy for anybody who ever meets me in person! :eek::D Talk about "no social skills"!
The man behind this keyboard is a totally different person than you may think. It isnt on purpose or by design.
I just have no filter, and immediately fire whatever my mental reaction to something is out my damn mouth, LOL. Good bad or otherwise.
You will know what I really think in just a few seconds. Can't help it. If I don't say anything? You best just leave.
Add keyboard? And I sometimes take the time to process the thoughts before sending the words.

Ohh boy for anybody who ever meets me in person! :eek::D Talk about "no social skills"!
The man behind this keyboard is a totally different person than you may think. It isnt on purpose or by design.
I just have no filter, and immediately fire whatever my mental reaction to something is out my damn mouth, LOL. Good bad or otherwise.
You will know what I really think in just a few seconds. Can't help it. If I don't say anything? You best just leave.
Add keyboard? And I sometimes take the time to process the thoughts before sending the words.
Yeah my wife says my mouth has no underwear, and so shit just flies everywhere.

For all my fellow motor-heads here on PM like myself.
The things this guy accomplishes in a shed with rudimentary tools prove him certifiable genius.
Shall we head for the 'gayrajh' to grab a T handle......lol OMG, I sound like such an asshole but I want to take his tools. About dropped a cam cap shim while warning people about it.....lol YT style.

IDK, I was payed by the job on my engine builds 20yrs ago and some things don't die. Watching a guy operate a T handle is like poking my own eye with a pencil for fun....

Shall we head for the 'gayrajh' to grab a T handle......lol OMG, I sound like such an asshole but I want to take his tools. About dropped a cam cap shim while warning people about it.....lol YT style.

IDK, I was payed by the job on my engine builds 20yrs ago and some things don't die. Watching a guy operate a T handle is like poking my own eye with a pencil for fun....
I love T-handles. They have their place for sure. Are you a bike guy?

I love T-handles. They have their place for sure. Are you a bike guy?

For sure a bike guy. Huge dealership for several yrs, race engine company, mfg, etc. I understand the T handle but I evolved after about my 2nd engine. They really do have their place, but low mode on a 1/4" rattle gun will cut the time by 90%, but also the video length......which is needed to lure viewers for clicks and stuff.

My current favorite YT channel is Cutting Edge Engineering
THAT is a guy that straight kicks ass! He not only does the hard jobs, he does them at pro level! He is obviously doing the job while the wife sneaks in to video his work. I'm sure it eats into his schedule but he is making something on YT.
What I HAVE noticed is that guy knows very little about milling. He is a 'turnr'. But he is lurning and I'm sure he will get much better with all that.. He has the knak to figr it out.

I appreciate his blooper stuff but also would like to see his machining screw ups too. We all have them. I know I pretty much got away from modding OEM or 'made' parts. Someone brings you a $10k cylinder head and wants a $100 decking job on it. NOT ME! Too much risk and little reward. I'm out.

My current favorite YT channel is Cutting Edge Engineering
I watch his reels on FB almost every night before I go to bed. My girl asks "What are you watching?..... Oh... It's machining.... Don't you get sick of doing that all day?"

And I have to reply that it's satisfying to watch someone else do it well, on big stuff that I'll likely never touch.

I dunno how he gets the work.........there used to be a big machine shop up the coast a lot closer to the coal mines ,and they got all the expensive mining stuff....they did hardchrome too .......He s in an expensive area ,rent on that big shed would need a lot of jobs every week .

Back