What's new
What's new

Bar feeder troubles on Staar SV-20 with LNS Hydrobar 220

Diezel

Aluminum
Hello!

I just moved buildings, and my Star Swiss bar feeder is having alignment issues.
We hired riggers and maintenance personnel to get everything disconnected and moved properly, but the maintenance guys aren't really familiar with the swiss (we have 3 swiss 8 lathes 1 mill turn and 24 mills).
They did get everything leveled out and aligned, but I think we had some settling go down and now i can't run this machine and I can't get actual service out for 2 weeks.
I've looked online to see if i can find any info, but it seems LNS doesn't put much out there.

The gist of the issue is that the alignment between the bar feeder and the machine is slightly off. We are able to run some parts but not others based upon material size.

Does anybody have any information on how to adjust this? I just need to get it good enough to be running parts as I can't just let this machine sit and not get parts out, and as LNS is coming in at the end of the month they'll fix it up just about perfect.

If it is too high, lower it.
If it is too low, raise it.
If it's off to the left, nudge it right with the forktruck a wee bit. (use a gear drive truck for this)
If it is off to the right, nudge it left with the forktruck.

If it is closer or further apart from your machine, you may need to adjust a parameter or two.

Just figger out what it takes to let the pusher tube up inside the spindle without rubbing...

Beyond that, I don't know.
Seems like that covers any alignments that I know of...

???

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You can align pretty close with a tight string or fishing line. Take 2 pieces of appropriate size round bar, drill a hole through center the size of the line. Clamp one in the machine spindle and one in the barloader gripping collet. Tighten the string between them so it is taught and use the line as a reference to align. Techs that do it all the time use lasers I am sure but string is doable

You can align pretty close with a tight string or fishing line. Take 2 pieces of appropriate size round bar, drill a hole through center the size of the line. Clamp one in the machine spindle and one in the barloader gripping collet. Tighten the string between them so it is taught and use the line as a reference to align. Techs that do it all the time use lasers I am sure but string is doable
This is the method we used on our Stars and Tsugamis. Took about .5 hours.

Back