What's new
What's new

Bar Puller Recommendations?

I have two of the heavy duty style Royal bar pullers. They never wear out. Bought both of them on eBay used and never had a single problem with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to pick up a bar puller for our old Doosan Lynx 220L lathe, but I'm having trouble finding any reviews for most of them on the market. There are bunch of different styles and a wide range of cost, so I'd love some recommendations from y'all before spending money on something that is unusable.
I'm looking for a non actuated style. I would like to be able to pull up to 1" dia steel bars with it. (alot of them look like they would grab aluminum great but not steel)
Also looking for input on if anyone has had luck doing production runs with these turret mounted bar pullers, or if they are more of a gimmick?
Thank you guys!

CNC LATHE BAR PULLER 1" SHANK | eBay
I use this puller on 5 machines and on crs 1/2"-2" 10'bars with no problems.

I've used the cheap ebay one. I guess if I didn't know any better I'd say it works fine, but it honesty blows in comparison to the Royal. There's less holding power, less adjustment and with the way the cross piece is welded on instead of bolted a pain to install in certain turrets. I guess you get what you pay for.

I've often thought about making one like that for myself and and extra 25 or so to see if they sell. I see about $100 sitting there without the fancy tool black.

The Royals are hardened. If you're going to make one, make the one with the partoff blade holder. Doesn't waste a turret station. We have four, worth every cent.
We buy a standard blade from MSC and just cut it in half: makes one short for small Ø bar and one long for large Ø bar.

I bought the Royal heavy duty. It was a smash and dent special on Ebay for $750, but they're basically bullet proof so it works like new. It's definitely the best puller I've ever used and it gives highly repeatable positioning.

I bought the Royal heavy duty. It was a smash and dent special on Ebay for $750, but they're basically bullet proof so it works like new. It's definitely the best puller I've ever used and it gives highly repeatable positioning.

Wow they have really raised the price on them, I think they were $700 when I got mine new. But if you have the need for one it will still pay for itself quickly vs an operator pulling parts by hand.

Anyone have experience with that Royal Puller/Part Off tool combo?

Starting the lathe shopping, and everyone has solid deals on pretty basic machines (the Tsugami M08J-II, Genos L250, Takasawa TCC), but they only have 8 stations, unless you spend a boatload to go to 12.

Royal products in general are good in my opinion. Their bar pullers are solid. I have experience with the EZPuller from Accudyne. Doing great for years pulling a 4' bar of 2.5" 6061 accurately.
The TCC Takisawas that Yamazen stocks are all 12 station. Ask Peter about the showroom special TCN-2100U machines. Thanks to Covid they are essentially new.

I'm using a royal like most others, and have only one complaint. The time to set it up properly. Otherwise it serves me well. But if I had it to do over again, I'd buy the
EZ puller as mentioned earlier. Looks like a dream to set up.

I have used the regular Royal bar puller many times. I’m not a fan of how finicky it can be to adjust, but it does work well. But them things can pull a lot. 3” x 4 ft aluminum rod. 2” x 4 ft stainless. Pretty sure I’ve pulled 3” steel bars even.

I’m curious about the bar puller-cutoff combo unit. Is it intended for the grippers to run against the stock while it spins, or for the cutoff tool to come to center before the grippers contact the work?

I’ve seen a different bar puller that uses hard gripping wheels that auto adjust via a heavy spring. I like the concept but never used one to know how well it would do.

Been curious about these. Say if your running 1" aluminum through a collet and the piece is getting short does the bar stock push through that puller much when you open the collet and it pops forward?

It might a little bit. I haven't noticed any forward stock movement when the collet opens. At least not enough to cause a problem. They do grip the stock firmly.

I bought one of these EZ-Pullers a few months ago and have been very pleased with it so far. It's not cheap (~$600 if I recall correctly), but it's nice not having to adjust it for each size stock I run in the machine. I bought their small one (which pulls up to 1.75" round) and will probably pick up its big brother before the end of the year to pull some 3" round that's coming up on a future job.

We have an EZ-Puller in both of our lathes. They work great and setup is simple since it doesn't require any adjustment for different size material.

Quick question on the Royal HD puller. How deep are the marks it leaves? For example, when pulling some 1.250" SS 303 Bar, would a skim cut of .005-0.010" clean up the marks okay?

EZ Puller is the bomb. Hell it is grabbing 5/8 hex stock right now and working great whether it is on points or flats. No adjustment.

I'm a cheapass, or maybe just poor, IDK. Anyway, bar pulling means parting off. When part geometry allows, I'll using the parting tool to put a groove in the stock. I then mill a piece of .5" x 2.0" AL into a fork that engages this groove. The groove is 0.118" wide so I'll machine the fork to be 0.100" thick in the requisite area, the rest stays the nominal .5" thickness.

I get repetitive pulls with positive engagement for basically $0.

I'm a cheapass, or maybe just poor, IDK. Anyway, bar pulling means parting off. When part geometry allows, I'll using the parting tool to put a groove in the stock. I then mill a piece of .5" x 2.0" AL into a fork that engages this groove. The groove is 0.118" wide so I'll machine the fork to be 0.100" thick in the requisite area, the rest stays the nominal .5" thickness.

I get repetitive pulls with positive engagement for basically $0.
Thinking that all of that fucking around costs $0 is a recipe to stay poor.

Thinking that all of that fucking around costs $0 is a recipe to stay poor.

Not like you need to throw it away after the job is done. Save the sizes you use regularly, no different then any other tool you need to load for a specific job.

Back