What's new
What's new

Bar Puller Recommendations?

I use the Dunham style......bought a set.....they are way to $$$$ for what they are.................I roll my own now. I just make the 1.5"Ø shank integral with the puller.

I've been using something similar to the Royal puller for a couple of years now. Linky. I believe it's made by Tschorn and re-branded as a Cutwel tool. Can't say I like it that much. It works just fine but I find it a bit fiddly to set up, it's temperamental on hex stock and my biggest gripe is the dead spot of diameters it can hold. I bought it because it has a wide range of sizes it can work on via reversible jaws (6-100 mm dia) although in practice there's a range of diameters between 40 and 45 mm it can't hold and diameters from 35-40 mm you have to have the jaws hanging right out so they flex when it grabs the bar.

I'm a cheapass, or maybe just poor, IDK. Anyway, bar pulling means parting off. When part geometry allows, I'll using the parting tool to put a groove in the stock. I then mill a piece of .5" x 2.0" AL into a fork that engages this groove. The groove is 0.118" wide so I'll machine the fork to be 0.100" thick in the requisite area, the rest stays the nominal .5" thickness.

I get repetitive pulls with positive engagement for basically $0.
I did the same thing on some 7/16" SST hex, that I needed to make a few K worth of 1/4-20 LH bolts. I used my 0.079"w (relieved) Iscar Top Grip to part off the last run part, and put a groove just into the next part. The groove was .38" OD so no worries about cleaning the OD to Ø.247 prior to threading.

I used this little saw arbor, and some 15 gage Al sheet to make this little 'fork' for lack of a better term. It rocked all 3000 little bolts without a hickup.

Doug.20221020_123920.jpg

I did the same thing on some 7/16" SST hex, that I needed to make a few K worth of 1/4-20 LH bolts. I used my 0.079"w (relieved) Iscar Top Grip to part off the last run part, and put a groove just into the next part. The groove was .38" OD so no worries about cleaning the OD to Ø.247 prior to threading.

I used this little saw arbor, and some 15 gage Al sheet to make this little 'fork' for lack of a better term. It rocked all 3000 little bolts without a hickup.

Doug.View attachment 377632
Exactly. I leave the shank in the turret and screw on forks as needed. since they're all built the same they repeat well enough that I rarely adjust anything.

I have used the coolant activated (on a 300psi machine) and it worked okay, for small, lightweight stuff.
We have made our own Dunham style pullers, prior to getting one of these and have not looked back.
I don't remember buying this from Royal (and spending almost $700) but from US Shop Tools or fleabay.
CNC LATHE BAR PULLER 1" SHANK | eBay
View attachment 294043

Doug.
This is the same style we use in our Lathes. Works great and the replacement fingers are cheap and easily made.

Back