What's new
What's new

Bargain basement Cincinnati

blackboat

Stainless
In celebration of the new forum, here's a quick look at my Cinci No. 2 Universal, shortly after it's capture. Deal with this one was, I bought a lathe and had to take the mill.

Kind of glad to have it now; it's cleaning up well, though I've found a bit of shadetree repair to the x gib screw, but overall wear is less than I would have thought.

Has power feed all three ways, came with a small arbor, the stub arbor in the machine, and 2 shop made boring bars.

Currently trying to find a dividing head I can afford to do a project machining some spirally widgets.

It's kind of grown on me; stone simple, everything works, and the price was right. Do get to make some B&S No. 10 tooling now though.

DSCF0020.jpg

I'm about halfway through cleaning it, will have more pics in the future with some details.

Rob

Spiffy!

Any plans to use it on a regular basis or do you just want to play with it. I'd be interested to see what kind of spirally widgets you're thinking of fabbing to see what's possible.

Once it's on line it'll be used where appropriate; won't attempt to make it my "main" mill, but I think it will be handy standing by for when the VN's are tied up. It could be argued I "play" with all of them, as opposed to work on a regular basis. And having the universal table around seems to make it worth hanging onto for now.

The spirally widgets are basically a fast pitch screw for jointer and planer knife grinding machines. Like the screw in the levelwind of a baitcasting reel, but only has to go one way. Also have some art projects I've been thinking on, as well as some tragically ugly gun barrel work.

Rob

Bob, It's more fun than you think. The "new" motor mount is based on a right angle gearbox, and the shaft that is parallel to the spindle axis is threaded. You get to turn the input shaft a BUNCH of times to make the motor slide back and forth.

If the rpms of the drive calculate OK, I'll rig an adapter for a cordless drill to do the turning to move the motor fore and aft.

I do have some concerns about belt wrap on that small drive sheave, but until I quit cleaning the ways and sump, and actually do some calculating and wiring, these things will be stuff to ponder until I can actually get there.

And yes, the had to take it thing was quite bothersome as my trailer wouldn't handle both the lathe and mill. I had actually listed the mill in the classifieds here, but suddenly found myself heading up that way for other reaons with a big truck and 8-9,000 pounds of unused payload, so problem solved. Was glad to be able to bring it home, didn't have tmme to make two trips.

I also couldn't believe the 3450 lbs (or thereabouts) catalog weight; just didn't look like all that. The I moved it. Oh, yeah, uh, maybe that ain't too far off...

Thanks for the kind words,

Rob

Back