What's new
What's new

Barnes Velocipede Metal Lathe - input please

I have the remains of a Barnes lathe that I think is a 5-1/2 .
It is the model with the twin lead screws .
It has been in pieces for years waiting for a rebuild after being rescued from a scrap yard 40+years ago .
It had been in a fire and the spindle bearings had melted welding them to the spindle so the spindle was cut out and a new one will have to be made.
I have attached some pictures of how the back gear is engaged on that one and it appears that the lathe in this thread may be similar .
Maybe some of the members with more Barnes experience can say if yours will be the same .
There is a small rectangular block with a tapped hole in it that slides in a slot on the bull gear that moves it out of one of the two notches on the cone pulley to engage or disengage it from the bull gear.
There is a small square headed bolt on the outside of the bull gear that you loosen to move the block and tighten to keep it in place.
I thought there was some kind of spring on the side of the gear that faces the cone pulley that retained something and thought mine might have been damaged in the fire how ever this one appears to be copper and held on with a small machine screw on to the back of the bull gear.
it holds the slide block from falling into the void of the pulley but it isn't very strong so it can see where it wouldn't be hard to have the block fall out
Rather than try to get the screw out I bent it up to slide the block in and pushed it back afterwards and it appears to hold the block in place.
I hope this may help clarify what may be in your lathe.
Jim

Attachments

• IMG_2386.JPG
    IMG_2386.JPG
    735.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2387.JPG
    IMG_2387.JPG
    917.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2388.JPG
    IMG_2388.JPG
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2390.JPG
    IMG_2390.JPG
    726.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2391.JPG
    IMG_2391.JPG
    918.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2392.JPG
    IMG_2392.JPG
    835.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I have the remains of a Barnes lathe that I think is a 5-1/2 .
It is the model with the twin lead screws .
It has been in pieces for years waiting for a rebuild after being rescued from a scrap yard 40+years ago .
It had been in a fire and the spindle bearings had melted welding them to the spindle so the spindle was cut out and a new one will have to be made.
I have attached some pictures of how the back gear is engaged on that one and it appears that the lathe in this thread may be similar .
Maybe some of the members with more Barnes experience can say if yours will be the same .
There is a small rectangular block with a tapped hole in it that slides in a slot on the bull gear that moves it out of one of the two notches on the cone pulley to engage or disengage it from the bull gear.
There is a small square headed bolt on the outside of the bull gear that you loosen to move the block and tighten to keep it in place.
I thought there was some kind of spring on the side of the gear that faces the cone pulley that retained something and thought mine might have been damaged in the fire how ever this one appears to be copper and held on with a small machine screw on to the back of the bull gear.
it holds the slide block from falling into the void of the pulley but it isn't very strong so it can see where it wouldn't be hard to have the block fall out
Rather than try to get the screw out I bent it up to slide the block in and pushed it back afterwards and it appears to hold the block in place.
I hope this may help clarify what may be in your lathe.
Jim
Excellent, thanks Jim! Those photos are VERY helpful!

I just noticed that there is no keyway in the bull gear so it must have been a press fit onto the spindle.
Also there is an oil hole on the small step of the cone pully to lubricate it when running on the spindle when the back gear is working .
Often on other lathes these are tapped and have a removable set screw of some kind probably in that era a slotted head one to hold the oil from coming out on the belt.
The hole in mine is about the size of a #22 drill that is only .002 smaller than #21the tap drill size for a 10-32 screw but I couldn't tell if it had been tapped or not .
My # 21 seems to be missing at the moment .
It may have just been full of rust and my tap or a set screw would not thread in with a quick try .
Just something else I noticed.

Attachments

• IMG_2393.JPG
    IMG_2393.JPG
    586.2 KB · Views: 5
I took out the slide block and found that at least on mine it is a 5/16 -18 NC square headed set screw with with some washers on it for the bolt
The slide block is tapered where it goes into the notches of the pulley from 3/4" wide to 5/8" wide where it enters the notch.
The notched on my pulley are coated with globs of rust so it would need to be cleaned to fit properly .
That would help keep it snugly locked in the driving position and stop the wear and ratting when the there is an un even load on the belt as with an interrupted cut .
I suppose ideally the block should fit so that it should be close to but not touch the bottom of the slots in the pulley when it is engaged.
I put some spacers underneath it inside the pulley to show it in place.

Attachments

• IMG_2394.JPG
    IMG_2394.JPG
    846.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2395.JPG
    IMG_2395.JPG
    805.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2396.JPG
    IMG_2396.JPG
    832.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2401.JPG
    IMG_2401.JPG
    760 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2399.JPG
    IMG_2399.JPG
    714.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2402.JPG
    IMG_2402.JPG
    774.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Jim, look close, the small gear on the cone pulley may be retained by a pin that has been obscured by the wear from the belt. I wound up remaking that gear for my 9 inch seneca falls machine (former owner error taking out a couple of teeth) and while it was a press fit, I seem to recall there was more to it, and I did not need to machine any keways for the job.

Jim Rosen ,
I think in my case the small gear is pressed on an extension hub of on the end of the pulley that extends past the flange of the last step not as an addition but as part of the pulley its self since the bore seems to be smooth right through.
There appears to be a small radial dowel pressed in to help act as a key at the what I think may be the line between the bore of the small gear and the outside diameter of the hub.
I pointed at what I think is the dowel with the hook tip of a scriber.
There may be more than one radial dowel but they aren't so obvious .
I tried cleaning with a little emery cloth opposite but I'd have to clean more to be sure.
I also checked the bore of the bull gear for evidence of a pin but didn't find any so I think it may rely only on a press or interference fit.
P.S. , I checked the cone pulley bore and it appears to be the same bore all the way through without any bushings pressed in so the cast iron running directly on the steel spindle.
It appears to have a shallow oil groove cut in on either side of the oil hole from the small step.

Attachments

• Barnes Pully Small Gear..jpeg
    Barnes Pully Small Gear..jpeg
    418.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Barnes Pulley Dowel Pin.jpeg
    Barnes Pulley Dowel Pin.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2407.JPG
    IMG_2407.JPG
    771.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Yep, that does look like a dutchman key. Mine, I believe, was radial. I'm away from home now (first grandkid) but I'll inspect the old part with the broken teeth, as I kept all the original stuff.

Back