What's new
What's new

Being a lathe guy outside of California.

stef_sandoval

Plastic
I'm about to be 30 but I still, look like in my mid 20's. I can't do it anymore. I need to leave Cali not just cus its expensive but cus of the gangs. I live not too far from the bay area in the centra valley. I shave my head cus the hair ain't that great no more but I keep being pressed as a Southsider Latino. I'm doing my best to change how I dress but I'm low-key done. I can't live like this. Can anyone recommend a good state to live and be a lathe guy?

You might list your lathe skills here and get an interview, not many manual or CNC lathe hand wanted signs here in Michigan. likely you have to knock on shop doors and try to present yourself. Having the gumption to knock on doors usually results in a job. It can be good to have a letter from a valid shop.

OT: {I shave my head cus the hair ain't that great no more but I keep being pressed as a Southsider Latino. I'm doing my best to change how I dress but I'm low-key done.)

Stuff like that doesn't matter as much as quoting your skills. To be a lathe hand you should be able to do just about anything a lathe can do...like figuring out or looking up the numbers to run a specified grade of a thread..and having the basic tools to do that.

Last edited:
I'm about to be 30 but I still, look like in my mid 20's. I can't do it anymore. I need to leave Cali not just cus its expensive but cus of the gangs. I live not too far from the bay area in the centra valley. I shave my head cus the hair ain't that great no more but I keep being pressed as a Southsider Latino. I'm doing my best to change how I dress but I'm low-key done. I can't live like this. Can anyone recommend a good state to live and be a lathe guy?
Ohio is a free state with a ton of jobs available in machine trades. Winters SUCK though.

Im in La Habra, So Cal, we have a few streets over that were well known for gang activity. Latin male who walks thru the complex with a shaved head is automatically going to be seen as a gang member. Just the way it is.

If you don't want to be seen as a Southsider Latino, maybe grow your hair again, maybe change the way you dress.

I have plenty of Mexican friends from the last place I worked, they don't walk like a gang banger,they don't talk like a gang banger, they don't blast out the Norteno music, they don't park their cars on the front lawn. They don't drive old Monte Carlos etc etc. Not saying you do any of that, but a lot do and are surprised they get discriminated against. just sayin.

-----------------------

As for moving state, it's a lot harder than you think. You have to make new friends, learn new ways of fitting in, climate could be radically different from what your used to. And if you think your discrimated now, some areas are probably going to make you very uncomfortable. Especially if your Spanish is spoken around fellow Mexicans. Going to an area with large Dominican/Puerto Rican communities their going to look at you real sideways as soon as you talk.

My friend moved from Riverside CA to Bath PA. Hasn't heard one Mexican accent in two years. You turned up there, you'd be a real celebrity.

CNC Programmer and Machinist - Turning Focus (Butte)​

This is from the Butte Montana craigslist, it has been running for a month. There are several other small shops with their own product lines looking for help.

Specialized manufacturer seeks an experienced CNC Machinist to join our small business operations in Butte, Montana. Day to day activities include developing manufacturing plans, setup and operation of turning centers, NC CAM programming, sourcing of tooling, managing cutting tool and holder inventories, as well as the design and manufacture of turning fixtures. The ability to communicate professionally and to collaborate with other machinists and engineers is required. Patients, attention to detail, and a desire to constantly improve are highly valued.

Our company is committed to building and maintaining a culture that is dedicated to its team members, and to the success of our clients. High product quality, continuous improvement, and entrepreneurial growth are key components of our business strategy. We understand the value of an effective and competent team and make time and resources available for learning and training opportunities.

US Citizenship (I9 Verification) and the ability to pass an FBI background check is required.

Responsibilities include:

> Programming, set up, and operation of CNC turning centers. Siemens Controls - can train for control.
> Perform offline programming using GibbsCam software packages.
> Use and maintain precision inspection equipment such as micrometers, indicators, electronic height gauges, optical comparators, and fixed limit gauges.
> Read and understand engineering drawings and blueprints, rudimentary understanding of Geometric Dimensioning required.
> Apply knowledge of machining materials such as aluminum, stainless steel, titanium, plastics, tool steel.
> Run complex parts with close tolerances and highly cosmetic surfaces.
> Exhibit a high degree of skill handling delicate parts, producing precision machined surfaces, and exercising care when cleaning, deburring, and assembling to maintain the highest quality.
> Be capable of making parts from start to finish using blueprints and/or customer supplied CAD files with little supervision.
> Be capable and willing to thoroughly document the manufacturing process, and to assist in developing training, and procedures.
> Must have good communications skills and be willing and able to act as a company representative.

The ideal candidate will also have the following traits:

> Reliable and Trustworthy
> Exhibit a high level of attention to detail
> Exhibit a scientific and professional approach to problem solving

NOTES:
This is mid level CNC position. This a position with a small company, flexibility, self-motivation, and creativity are required.

Training is provided, but industry work experience is required.
Military veterans are encouraged to apply.
Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma.

Job Type: Full-time only

Compensation greatly depends on professional experience, and desired level of responsibility within the company. Please inquire.

75% of Medical Insurance premium paid by the company.
Paid Holidays.

If you get your foot in a door, perhaps for a lesser job in a shop that has a few running manual lathes it likely won't take long to show off your lathe talents. Somebody gets sick, walks, or goes on vacation.
But I don't think you mentioned manual, CNC, or both.

Better to focus on your skills, not your neighborhood and haircut.

Last edited:
Is being a “ lathe guy “ normal usage in the US ? Sounds a bit vague to me. It could mean anything. Over here you’re a “ turner “.

On another point my step son married a lady from Ohio last August and is hoping to move to the USA to be with her in the autumn ( fall ). It’s going to have been 12 months from the date of his application for him to get permission to move to the USA.
He really doesn’t like the cold weather and I mean the sort of mild cold weather you get over here. How will he go on in Ohio ? She lives near Cincinnati at the moment I believe but she’s hoping to move to Kentucky when she retires in a few years.

Regards Tyrone.

Last edited:
Florida would be a good fit. Similar climate, lots of opportunity to speak Spanish, lots of machining, relatively lower cost of living compared to CA (depending on area)....

On another point my step son married a lady from Ohio last August and is hoping to move to the USA to be with her in the autumn ( fall ). It’s going to have been 12 months from the date of his application for him to get permission to move to the USA.
He really doesn’t like the cold weather and I mean the sort of mild cold weather you get over here. How will he go on in Ohio ? She lives near Cincinnati at the moment I believe but she’s hoping to move to Kentucky when she retires in a few years.

Regards Tyrone.
Lower O-HI-O doesn't get the snow & cold as much as the northern parts.
FWIW if your son calls one day and said "I visited the Kings Island today"..... it's probably not what your thinking.....:D

QT : ( Over here you’re a “ turner “).Turning egg omelets?

I don't think I have heard "Lathe Guy" used

Lathe hand, manual lathe operator, machinist, and tool maker are more common names for guys expected to run(do most anything) on a manual lathe.

Millwrights and machine repair guys are often also expected to be able to run a manual lathe.

CNC Programmer and Machinist - Turning Focus (Butte)​

Butte is a beautiful place, but that would be serious environment change for someone coming from the bay area. Summers are awesome, but be prepared for months of zero or below temps and a lot of wind.

There are a lot of cool shops around there though, probably due to the technical focused school there.

Missoula MT has CM Aerospace that does a lot of turning. They specialize in airplane land gear components and have a majority of Mazak turning centers. I asked for a tour when passing through on a camping trip and the manufacturing engineer there was happy to show me around.

Man, the worst I get told I look like is a red neck. I am one, but that doesn't mean I want to be labeled as one.

A machinist with skills could probably go just about anywhere in the country and find work.

A machinist with skills could probably go just about anywhere in the country and find work.

I think a person willing to work could likely find work and in 8 to 10 years be a machinist.

Back in my day it was said "walk a mile knocking on doors to find a job."
Wearing work clothes and ready to start.
The simple language "I have run a few machines and can do what I am told to the letter.". Yes if that is true.

Last edited:
Is being a “ lathe guy “ normal usage in the US ? Sounds a bit vague to me. It could mean anything. Over here you’re a “ turner “.

Regards Tyrone.

The terms "lathe guy" / "mill guy" are fairly common today. They are normally used when talking with someone who has common shop knowledge. It's an easy way to let them know what your strengths are or where you will be more efficient.

Cincinnati is at the very bottom of Ohio next to the Kentucky boarder. The winter is pretty mild down there, he shouldn't have any issues. Waiting a year to be with his wife, that would be tough!

The terms "lathe guy" / "mill guy" are fairly common today. They are normally used when talking with someone who has common shop knowledge. It's an easy way to let them know what your strengths are or where you will be more efficient.

Cincinnati is at the very bottom of Ohio next to the Kentucky boarder. The winter is pretty mild down there, he shouldn't have any issues. Waiting a year to be with his wife, that would be tough!
Yes, it’s been a strange year for them both. His wife is a high school teacher so she’s over here with us in the UK at the moment. She goes back mid July and then it’s just a question of waiting for the OK for him to fly out. It will have taken them just over 12 months.

Regards Tyrone.

Regards Tyrone.
Congrats to the step son.

That’s close to where I’m from. Winter is a gray dead several month slog around 5 *C with a few bouts of snow. Rest of the year is pretty nice as long as you don’t mind a wet (and green) spring season.
Head south and KY has its own distinct personality if you leave the cities. Beautiful area though. Summers are surprisingly hot and humid.

Congrats to the step son.

That’s close to where I’m from. Winter is a gray dead several month slog around 5 *C with a few bouts of snow. Rest of the year is pretty nice as long as you don’t mind a wet (and green) spring season.
Head south and KY has its own distinct personality if you leave the cities. Beautiful area though. Summers are surprisingly hot and humid.
We’re used to wet and green in Manchester.

Regards Tyrone.

Back